Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:30:34 PM
714317 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Charade (1963) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Charade (1963)  (Read 1847 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 07, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »

Plot: A French woman returns from her ski vacation decided to divorce her husband, only to find out he's been murdered. After a visit to the police and the American embassy she learns that her late husband stole some gold during the war and that his three accomplices believe she's hiding the money. Soon enough the three criminals start stalking her, and the only thing preventing them to kill her is a new friend she made during her vacation. But how much can she trust him?

Comments: Believe it or not, I had never seen this film before. I mean, who doesn't like Audrey Hepburn or Cary Grant? But in the other hand, Stanley Donen directing a thriller? And one that spoofs Hitchcock? So I never cared much about it, but now I'm glad I checked it out. It's excellent, plain and simple. It's almost an straight comedy, based on the chemistry between Hepburn and Grant, but now and then Donen inserts genuinely disturbing bits. At one point Grant and Hepburn talk the criminals down into searching each others rooms, to see if they can convince them that Hepburn doesn't have her husband's money. Together in a room, Hepburn and Grant flirt and play cat and mouse. And then, out of the blue, one of the criminals appears drowned in a bathtube, the faucet still throwing water over his distorted face.

And as the corpses begin to pile, another question begins to rise. Is Grant the murderer? Of course, Grant is well known for his portrayal of a false guilty in Hitchcock's "North by northwest". Is he now playing a false innocent? And Cary Grant is a joy to watch here, playing the joke knowingly, while Audrey Hepburn's character can't decide wether to get in his pants or run away. Great stuff. So great, actually, that I'll forget that I guessed the ending right away or that that fight in the rooftop between Grant and Arthur Kennedy was a bit too silly. Moments like the funeral scene where the three criminals appear to pay their respects to the deceased or the exchanges between Grant and Hepburn more than compensate.

5/5    

P.D: Just remembered that Jonathan Demme made a remake of this one called "The truth about Charlie". All the sources I've checked out consider it awful, but I'm tempted to take a look at it anyway. What intrigues me is that it may have taken a different approach and played they whole thing seriously this time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:53:42 PM by Neville » Logged

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:11:46 PM »

I have this on DVD and I had it on VHS before.  One of my favorite thrillers.  MAD Magazine did a pretty good satire of it, too.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 05:35:02 PM »

So great, actually, that I'll forget that I guessed the ending right away or that that fight in the rooftop between Grant and Arthur Kennedy was a bit too silly. Moments like the funeral scene where the three criminals appear to pay their respects to the deceased or the exchanges between Grant and Hepburn more than compensate.

Arthur Kennedy. A great actor and much underappreciated, but the Kennedy in this film is not Arthur, but George Kennedy. The one that has a hook for a hand. The other two villains are played by James Coburn and Ned Glass. There is a fourth villain, but I won't mention who it is, as it gives away too much of the plot.

Actually, I remember the fight on the roof between Cary Grant and George Kennedy being one of the more memorable scenes in the film, because when Kennedy gets knocked off the roof of the building, he grabs on to the building's gutter with the hook to prevent himself from falling.

Otherwise, Neville is right. It's a great film and well worth seeking out.
Neville

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 06:51:49 PM »

You're right, it was George Kennedy! I think I've been mising up those two actors for a while...

As for the fight in the rooftop, it was one of the highlghts of the film, true, but it struck me as one of those moments where Donen was trying too hard to be Hitchcock. The final straw was Arthur Kennedy escaping death by the skin of his teeth and appearing unscathed in the next scene (IIRC). Too much to stomach.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 11:54:23 PM »

I think the unnamed actor is the highlight of the film.   Smile  I like CHARADE.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Charade (1963) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.