Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:34:41 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords shot outside grocery store « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords shot outside grocery store  (Read 15970 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 08, 2011, 03:24:36 PM »

http://start.toshiba.com/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9KKBGT01%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1018

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:27:04 PM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 03:35:03 PM »

no one understands more than I the frustration about being powerless to stop big government and so forth but come on, this lady was not a poweful person and big goverment was just about as big a few years ago when all republicans were in charge and no one shot at them for it. 
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:37:47 PM »

I doubt this was truly political, somebody just wanted to get his name on the news.  From the article, it sounds as if Giffords was making a public appearance.  Shooting spree + political angle = 15 minutes of fame for the shooter.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Raffine

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 05:16:41 PM »

Truly a terrrible story. One of those killed was a nine year old girl.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 05:54:29 PM »

just watched one of the assassin's youtube video. really weird stuff. the guy obviously had problems
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 08:48:31 PM »

Very sad.  I have strong political opinions, but I still pray every day for the safety of our elected leaders.  A popular Arizona judge was one of those killed in the attack, which took 6 lives and wounded 18 more, according to the latest story.  The Congresswoman was shot clean through the head, but has survived thus far and the doctors were cautiously optimistic that she would recover.

I hope that neither side exploits this for political purposes; it's a tragedy for all concerned and for our country.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Couchtr26

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 08:57:46 PM »

I hope that neither side exploits this for political purposes; it's a tragedy for all concerned and for our country.

It is very sad and tragic but that is where my biggest concern lies.  I fear that some on either side may use it for a rally point.

Ah, the good old days.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 06:02:06 PM »

In the aftermath of the Giffords’ shooting, a debate over heated political rhetoric 
Has the country's increasingly heated political rhetoric gotten dangerously out of control?

That's the debate in the aftermath of Saturday's shooting rampage in Arizona, that left 6 dead and 14 others wounded, including Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. The Arizona congresswoman remains in a medically induced coma after being shot at point-blank range in the head by 22-year-old Jared Lee Loughner.

While Loughner's exact motives remain unknown, the shooting quickly set off a back and forth about the toxic tone of the nation's political discourse and whether it may have played a role in the attack.

On Saturday, Arizona authorities suggested that's a theory they are pursuing.

"There's reason to believe that this individual may have a mental issue. And I think people who are unbalanced are especially susceptible to vitriol," Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said in a news conference Saturday. "People tend to pooh-pooh this business about all the vitriol we hear inflaming the American public by people who make a living off of doing that. That may be free speech, but it's not without consequences."

The sheriff's comments echoed remarks Giffords herself made last year during the height of the 2010 midterm elections. In an interview with MSNBC last March, the Democratic lawmaker, who had been the target of threats over her vote on health care reform, noted her inclusion on list of lawmakers Sarah Palin was targeting for defeat that featured gun-related imagery. "The way that she has it depicted has the crosshairs of a gunsight over our district," Giffords said at the time. "When people do that, they have got to realize there are consequences to that action..."   

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110109/ts_yblog_theticket/in-the-aftermath-of-the-giffords-shooting-a-debate-over-heated-political-rhetoric

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 06:05:15 PM »

So it begins.

Folks, our country has ALWAYS been politically polarized.  Read your history.  One side always says that the continued, or perspective, rule of the other will lead to ruin, damnation, economic disaster, uncle abuse, and dog hickeys.

It's actually MORE civil now than it was throughout most of the 19th century.

Both sides need to just quit the finger pointing.  The young man was a NUT, period.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 10:59:16 PM »

"So it begins"?  You think you're educating somebody?  We live now.  In the wake of September 11, 2001, the birthdate of that young girl murdered.  It ain't about left or right, but about killing with guns.  Or maybe just killing.  BUT, that story was meant to have legs, or not.  Your commentary is superfluous; this is the 21st century.  I agree the murderer was a "nut" though I prefer "nobody"  
With LOVE, AHD.   Wink Thumbup
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:03:55 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 11:48:21 PM »

So it begins.

Folks, our country has ALWAYS been politically polarized.  Read your history.  One side always says that the continued, or perspective, rule of the other will lead to ruin, damnation, economic disaster, uncle abuse, and dog hickeys.

It's actually MORE civil now than it was throughout most of the 19th century.

Both sides need to just quit the finger pointing.  The young man was a NUT, period.

Yeah, and it was wrong back then too. 

It's inappropriate to use gun-related imagery when talking about defeating political opponents.  It displays a lack of sensitivity and tact (particularly in America, which has probably had more political leaders shot in the post-World War II era than any other western republic), regardless of whether and how it influences people.

I'd agree I find it difficult to believe such tactics had much influence on the person in question here though.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 12:54:57 AM »

Nutjobs are just gonna do nutty things, which occasionally includes shooting at public figures for no apparent reason.  It's evil and wrong, no matter when it happens.

The point I was trying to make, which AHD gently took me to task for, is just this:
Political polarization is NOT worse than it's ever been.  If anything, we handle our diferences, for the most part, a little better now than we did when our nation was young.  But we have a fairly high percentage of unstable and dangerous citizens who probably should be institutionalized, and are not.  Thus our high level of violence happens.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 06:54:18 AM »

Scumbags like this are a good argument for the death penalty. Public hanging.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 04:25:30 PM »

Very sad and disturbing event.  Bluesad

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 05:20:39 PM »

My father told me about the incident. He claims the assassin is some insane conspiracy theorist who thinks the government is mind controlling us by controlling the English language. I don't know if it's true but I wouldn't be surprised.

The biggest tragedy was that he killed civilians in the cross-fire. I can understand why he'd want to kill a political official, but getting innocents involved and killing a little girl is uncalled for.

Jared Lee Loughner is a monst-

Wait....

Jared Lee Loughner?
Charles Julius Guiteau?
Lee Harvey Oswald?
John Wilkes Booth?
James Earl Ray?

Why do all of these assassin's have three names?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:24:00 PM by A.J. Bauer » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords shot outside grocery store « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.