Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:01:37 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  When? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: When?  (Read 6860 times)
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 04:42:25 AM »

It started back in the mid-to-late seventies, when my sisters and I would watch Monster Matinee on Saturdays.. Ghidra, Mothra, Godzilla, Gamera, etc.  But I didn't really pay attention to the laughable production values/appreciate a movie's badness until we rented Rodan on laserdisc in the early eighties.  We fell over howling.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 10:01:04 AM »

As far back as I can remember, it was a treat and delight to watch B-movies with my Dad.  So mid-60's?   He had those Aurora models too.  He got me into Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, Outer Limits and we always seemed to be the only ones I knew who tried to catch the 'new' off-beat TV shows - before they were cancelled (as they always were  Bluesad ) The original Star Trek included.  I realized that I was a little...odd...when I had read both Dracula and Frankenstein by age 10 - and most of my classmates had only vague ideas of what they were about!  Dad and I almost had a secret language: quoting dialogue from our favourite episodes and making references to them in appropriate situations and cracking each other up.

Thanks, Dad!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
100Nights
Connoisseur of B-Cinema
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 10:03:55 AM »

When i was 5 or 6 when I watched my first Godzilla film. I think from that point there was no place really else to go but geekdom.

100 Nights: We suffer so you don't have to.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 12:02:24 PM »

Me? A geek? Who sez I'm a geek? The whole world? Oh, okay.

When I was in elementary school, before I'd really been introduced to monster movies, a friend actually briefly convinced me that Godzilla was real. It didn't last long, but then, of course, I became more curious and fell in love with the big ol' radioactive reptile and all his movies (that'd be Godzilla, not my friend, who was a kid and not reptilian at all  TongueOut). I didn't really view them as "bad"; rather, they were just entertaining. I do remember laughing with my brother at The Giant Claw and The Deadly Mantis, but, again, they were entertaining movies, so they were good, not bad.

In a way, I was like Paquita, except not as cute and without the girly bits  Twirling. I always marched to my own drummer, and figured out early on that if people didn't like me for who I was, I didn't really care if they liked me at all, because I wasn't going to change just to suit them. I like the things I like, and if that makes the world label me a geek, so be it. These days, my wife and daughter don't understand why I like the movies I like, but they tolerate me well enough and give me space to watch them (okay, I had to buy an old travel trailer and fix it up to have that "space," but still...).

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 01:54:20 PM »

Nobody in my family has the same taste in books and movies that I do, but I never saw myself as being fundamentally different because of that. To me, I just had different taste in books and movies.  I've always had this penchant for b type stuff though. I remember watching Mysterious Island on tv when I was just a wee lad and loving it. I discovered Godzilla a short time later. After that I'd watch anything with a giant animal in it.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
skuts
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »

WOW! I am having serious flashbacks from those FMF covers! Thanks RCMerchant, Raffine and Allhallowsday for reviving all those dormant kid memories!

Babies taste best.
skuts
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 03:26:52 PM »

Oh yeah, It started for me when I saw the movie trailer for Earth Vs the Spider on TV when I was four! That was more than 50 years ago.

Babies taste best.
Raffine

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »

Oh yeah, It started for me when I saw the movie trailer for Earth Vs the Spider on TV when I was four! That was more than 50 years ago.

Yeah, I'd have to say my roots go back to being that four year old peeking from behind the couch to watch THE KILLER SHREWS, THE SCREAMING SKULL, FROM HELL IT CAME, THE GIANT GILA MONSTER, etc. on the afternoon Dialing For Dollars show. Thank you, Tom York and WBRC!

Seeing my first FM sort of solidified the warpedness already twisting in my brain!  Thumbup

Tom York twisted my mind. And the lovely Pat Gray put fire in my heart.
Bill Bolen and Joe Langston didn't do a thing for me.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 04:07:55 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 04:45:52 PM »

Also I've got to give some credit to Walt Disney for turning me into a B-movie fan...I'm not sure how else I would classify The Black Hole and Tron both of which I adored as a kid (I even had those little book/records of both and they were very cherished in my youth although I'm not sure whatever happened to them today)...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
voltron

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »

I was always into b-movies since i was a kid. this was aound the early 80s. i remember seeing an ad for the movie "visiting hours" in the local newspaper and wished like hell that i could go see it. i thought that skull design on the hospital was awesome! by the time vcrs came around, i was in heaven renting up anything and everything horror related, from the bigwigs like F13th to more obscure like Pieces, Hospital Massacre and the like. eventually, i was a regular fango reader. but as far as "bad" movies go, they just kinda snuck up on me and went hand in hand with my horror addiction. as much as there is "good" horror (ie: halloween), there is "bad" horror (ie: garden of the dead), but that didn't really need mentioning i guess. i can't really explain my attraction to bad movies, but to put it simply, i just like to be entertained and damned if the majority of movies WE like are entertaining as hell. Smile btw, when i eventually did see it, "visiting hours" did not dissapoint. has to be one of the classiest slashers i've ever seen.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »

I was born in 1989, so I missed the golden, silver, AND bronze age for all this kinda stuff. Also, NO ONE in my entire family digs monsters, weirdos, or anything taboo, so it's truely a mystery how I've gotten to where I am now. Infact, when I was naught but a wee sapling, I wasn't even allowed to watch Batman, Power Rangers, and the like. Much less anything weird or remotely frightening. Because of this, I had a phobia of anything riskay growing up. In middle school, I was even too afraid to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail because of the Black Night scene.

Then, somewhere in my junior year of high school, I did a complete backflip and OVERLOADED on anything and everything weird and socialy unaceptable. Friends would always try to get me to watch Hellraiser or Scream or even Frankenstein, and up until that point, I would never abide.

I don't know what happened to me or why, but I'm sure as sh!t glad it did.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:40:03 PM by KYGOTC » Logged

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 06:01:46 PM »

I'm no geek, I just like hanging around you guys!  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Raffine

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 06:15:19 PM »

I'm no geek, I just like hanging around you guys!  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Small | Large

TeddyR

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 07:33:05 PM »

All the best freaks are here...Stop staring at me. (look it up kids)

-Ed
ps. Crap, Prog Rock marks me doesn't it?

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 11:14:25 PM »

Generational difference, I was born in old '82 so I never got a chance to see the FM magazines that are listed here.  It does kindof feel like missing out on a golden age though. 

When I was a kid my mom tolerated bad movies and my dad loved them.  I remember spending long times talking with my dad (typically as we were doing something, working on a car, cutting wood, etc.) and pestering him with questions until he pretty much gave me the entire plot-line of every horror movie he had ever seen (when I was too young to watch, later he showed them all to me).  This coupled with the fact that I lived in a "haunted" house as a child definitely cemented my love of all things horror.  I say "haunted" because our house was out in a woods nearby town where teenage boys would drive their girlfriends too for the explicit goal of scaring the girl's pants off (easier to get in the pants that way).  My house wasn't really haunted, just everyone in nearby towns believed it was so we had a bizzare underworld popularity as the house at the end of "witch's hollow".  We would have teen kids coming back to see our place all the time and several times they would get stuck because our lane was narrow with no good place to turn around. So they would be desperately trying to escape as my dad would be calmly walking out to their car to explain the finer points of a three point turn.  Of course I would go out to watch (creeping the kids out further) and my sister and I would always be talking about ways to enhance the experience (like having me jump off of a large cross in the front yard or setting up something really spooky, we never actually did these things because that would take planning and foresight). It is strange how much of an impact actually being "the spook" while growing up had on me.  My love of bad movies can be blamed on Cassandra Peterson and her hmmm... assets  Wink.  That was cemented when my parents made the mistake of letting me watch "Elvira: Mistress of the Dark".

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  When? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.