Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:09:09 PM
714313 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Green Hornet « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Green Hornet  (Read 7354 times)
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« on: January 14, 2011, 10:29:01 AM »

Another Hollywood remake. Already being panned by critics (including one whose opinion I actually respect).

I will not support this movie by paying money to see it in theatres; I'll be able to catch it on Netflix or something soon enough, I expect.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 10:15:05 PM »

I'm checking out this movie this weekend hopefully, but I'm not expecting this movie to be on the same level as the comics.  I never read the comics either so I'm going to have to judge the movie on if it is a good movie by itself and not an adaption.  So frankly, with this thought in mind and actually seeing the trailer, I'm just going to hope for a fun little entertaining flick and not much else.  My expectations are not high, so this film better not fail me.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
100Nights
Connoisseur of B-Cinema
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 10:43:05 PM »

Really I can't wait for this 3D fad to go away again like it did in the 50s.
Film makers who use it seem to be substituting style for substance.

100 Nights: We suffer so you don't have to.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 11:22:59 PM »

I'm definitely seeing this.  Mainly i'm a Seth Rogen fan, and it looks like it's a buddy movie with humor thrown in, just using those characters.

I'm not a fan of the tv show but I bet I'll love this one.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »

But the movie being in 3D is the only way they can get people to pay the 10 buck ticket prices and come out to see the show.

You can get movies at home now in such good quality they have to have something you can't get at home at the cinema

-Jimmybob

100Nights
Connoisseur of B-Cinema
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 04:48:01 PM »

But the movie being in 3D is the only way they can get people to pay the 10 buck ticket prices and come out to see the show.

You can get movies at home now in such good quality they have to have something you can't get at home at the cinema

-Jimmybob

I'll concede that point, but these films just seem to be a lot of flash and no substance. Apparently people just want to see shiny things and flashing colors, plebeians...
I will also say that I watch a lot of trash cinema, and many  of these have inane writing too, but there is something charming about them. Whereas most films I've seen in the theater recently are so immediately forgettable I wonder why I went.

100 Nights: We suffer so you don't have to.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 12:51:32 AM »

-Jimmybob

I'll concede that point, but these films just seem to be a lot of flash and no substance. Apparently people just want to see shiny things and flashing colors, plebeians...
I will also say that I watch a lot of trash cinema, and many  of these have inane writing too, but there is something charming about them. Whereas most films I've seen in the theater recently are so immediately forgettable I wonder why I went.
Except Jackass 3D.  Awesomeness.

JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 06:25:22 PM »

Saw this last night and I actually liked it quite a bit more than I was expecting.  I'm not a comics fan in any way, so I had no familiarity whatsoever with the concept going in, but I'm pretty sure MANY liberties were taken.  To me, it was a comedy first, action movie second.  It definitely had a Pineapple Express without the pot kinda feel.  Nothing special, but entertaining enough for a couple hours.

I do agree with everyone else though - I wish the 3D thing would go away EXCEPT in special situations...

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 11:40:27 PM »

Saw this last night and I actually liked it quite a bit more than I was expecting.  I'm not a comics fan in any way, so I had no familiarity whatsoever with the concept going in, but I'm pretty sure MANY liberties were taken.  To me, it was a comedy first, action movie second.  It definitely had a Pineapple Express without the pot kinda feel.  Nothing special, but entertaining enough for a couple hours.

I do agree with everyone else though - I wish the 3D thing would go away EXCEPT in special situations...
That's the way they decided to take it when Seth signed on.  Kevin Smith was originally attached to write and direct it, and they wanted it completely serious.  And then they gave him a budget of $150 Million.  He declined, saying "I make buddy films about guys talking about their girlfriends and fart and di*k jokes, this is too big a project."

So Seth Rogen got it and they changed it up a bit.

Nathan45
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 08:50:06 AM »

Kinda meh on it.  Seemed disjointed, maybe a lot of post production cuts?

The 3D was completely worthless (worse actually, since the colors seemed drab), if at all possible save a few bucks and see without 3D.

Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 03:29:11 PM »

Just as a side question, did anyone manage to catch the Green Hornet marathon on SyFy last week or so?  I had a blast watching it, I haven't seen it in years.

It still amazes me that Bruce Lee was able to go from such humble beginnings to becoming the star that he did.  Watching him display his pre-movie martial arts skills was always a very interesting thing for me, as well as realizing how important a figure he became only a few years later.  Totally cool  Smile

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
akiratubo

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 05:15:26 PM »

If I see The Green Hornet at all, it will be at the dollar theater.  I just can't stand Seth Rogen.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 05:59:44 PM »

I probably won't pay to see this, much as I loved the orginal TV show (Masta Bwuce!).  Also agree with the anti-3D element...if there are no rubber tentacles, spacecraft  or blood spray, I have no need for 3D.  Frankly i didn't need it then either. 

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 06:11:37 PM »

Another Hollywood remake. Already being panned by critics (including one whose opinion I actually respect).

I don't think it's really accurate to call this a remake.  It's like calling every newer Shakespeare film a remake.  Though it's worse for the Green Hornet, as this is actually the first Green Hornet FILM.  There was a TV show, and the serial, but no movie.

That said, I did enjoy the film.  Some parts of it were very funny.  If you really dislike Rogen, definitely skip it. 

This was also one of Jay Chou's better performances, I thought.  Probably because he's not asked to stretch his range.  For those not in the know, Jay Chou is a VERY popular Taiwanese singer who branched into acting about 5 years ago (really common in China, and quite a few singers-turned-actors have been quite good in both forms, like Leslie Cheung and Anita Mui).  However, he was mostly famous for being bland.  Some here might have seen him in Curse of the Golden Flower.  Shockingly enough, he has also directed a film, and apparently did an excellent job. But he can handle physical roles well, and here does a decent job with the comedy (he's the straight man to Rogen). 

My biggest complaint: Cameron Diaz was pointless, and could have easily been written out of the film.  Movie would have been more focused and probably 20 minutes shorter.  The whole conflict between Kato and Reid just wasn't that interesting for me - I thought the relationship between Rogen and James Franco in Pineapple Express was handled much better, for example.  Also, I thought they made Reid TOO Rogeny, if that makes sense.  I didn't mind them making a comedic Green Hornet film, I just wish it'd been more like half and half, rather than almost entirely a Rogen comedy vehicle.  Also, I think Reid should have become somewhat more competent by the end of the film.  Rogen's character in Pineapple Express seems totally badass in comparison.

Still, it's a decent experience.  I saw it in 2D, projected on 35mm.

7/10.
Nathan45
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 09:36:50 PM »

Honestly the old clear 3d effect I noticed was the credits.  Seriously.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Green Hornet « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.