Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:56:13 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE KING'S SPEECH « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE KING'S SPEECH  (Read 3450 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: January 17, 2011, 11:47:18 PM »

THE KING'S SPEECH (2010) 
Has anyone else seen this film?  I went to a matinee Friday, mainly because I like GEOFFREY RUSH.  I had accepted COLIN FIRTH in many roles and found him at least adequate, with nary a thought, but in THE KING'S SPEECH with a few funny moments, his performance is... great... I don't know what to say except words like: untoward, painful, stunning, claustrophobic... revealing... monumental.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:37:46 AM »

I am looking forward to seeing that one!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 07:16:18 AM »

Yeah I saw this the other day.  Its fantastic, and my bet so far is on Firth winning the Oscar for this role.  I'd like to see Rush get one too as he's great, but I know he has some hard competition in the supporting actor category so that might be harder.

Its quite funny, but I probably laughed more being Australian, and Rush's role involves a sense of humour we revel in: poking fun at others and not pandering to aristocracy.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 07:36:04 AM »

I was going to see this until I saw that Tom Hooper directed it ~ he also directed the anti-South African feature Red Dust. So, while I wish the film and especially Colin Firth well, I will not see this one.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Dan
Dedicated Viewer

El Duderino

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:25:07 AM »

I loved this movie, Colin Firth was brilliant in it. As was Geoffrey Rush, although I also thought that Helena Bonham Carter did a pretty good job. That's gotta be the first relatively normal role I've seen her play, and she did it pretty well.

Also, I agree with the Australia thing. Some of Rush's lines were hilarious.
"They're idiots."
"They've all been knighted."
"...makes it official then."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 12:00:57 AM »

I was going to see this until I saw that Tom Hooper directed it ~ he also directed the anti-South African feature Red Dust. So, while I wish the film and especially Colin Firth well, I will not see this one.
Is RED DUST anti-South African?   Question  I have not seen the film. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 01:39:44 AM »

Very much so, I'm afraid, AHD. I detest films like this and others like Cry Freedom, A World Apart, A Dry White Season, The Power of One, The Wilby Conspiracy, The Color of Friendship etc, made by foreign filmmakers who forget all the nonsense in their own countries and choose to focus on SA instead. The only filmmaker that made an anti-SA film whom I forgive is Phillip Noyce, the maker of Catch A Fire who made Rabbit Proof Fence about his own countries' racial injustices.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »

Very much so, I'm afraid, AHD. I detest films like this and others like Cry Freedom, A World Apart, A Dry White Season, The Power of One, The Wilby Conspiracy, The Color of Friendship etc, made by foreign filmmakers who forget all the nonsense in their own countries and choose to focus on SA instead. The only filmmaker that made an anti-SA film whom I forgive is Phillip Noyce, the maker of Catch A Fire who made Rabbit Proof Fence about his own countries' racial injustices.

There are pleanty of films that show Britain is a bad light but I wouldn't call them anti-british.
This Is England is a huge hit over here and it shows most of is as skin headed racists.

Its not a statment of a whole country, just the characters in the story the film maker is telling (and film is always film, its never real life even when it seems so. Documentaries even get editied and cut and changed). I'll still see Roland Emmerich films even though I didn't like The Patriot.

The King's Speech is a great film and it would be a pity to miss it.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 01:40:48 PM »

I understand your sentiment, Trevor. I actually agree with what you say about countries pointing the finger at SA as if to say "see how much better my country is?" There's a degree of hypocrisy in it. A similar thing applies to the German people. Will they ever escape it? Probably not. And people are forever using that part of their country's history as an example of the worst in humanity. Imagine how demoralizing it must be to continually be associated with such a thing.

On the other hand I see the point that Doggett is making. It can be limiting as well. You strike me as a man who is confident in yourself and your personality, so I'm sure it will all work itself out, and if you choose to miss a film for those reasons, then so be it. I haven't seen The King's Speech either, but I will get around to it.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE KING'S SPEECH « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.