Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:10:56 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  DEFUNCT PLACES YOU MISS (Drive-ins, roller rinks, restaurants, etc) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: DEFUNCT PLACES YOU MISS (Drive-ins, roller rinks, restaurants, etc)  (Read 14070 times)
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 09:21:08 AM »

I miss old time "candy stores". In the late 50's and early 60's, they were little "mom and pop" luncheonette stores that also sold tons of penny candy to choose from and pretzel sticks from a barrel. There were 2 in our neighborhood ... LaRoccias and Nick&Andy's.

I remember as a kid I would walk down the avenue to LaRoccias to pick up cigarettes for my Mom for about 35 cents a pack. And to think they would sell them to a child back then ...  Buggedout

I loved all the noise in the place. The sound of a whirring malted milk machine, the sizzle on the grill, clanking dishes and coffee cups. I remember the store had a long counter with a line of stools filled with people eating, laughing, and talking. It was the first place I had ever heard people speaking Italian.

Nick&Andy's had the better deal on the peny candy though. They sold theirs 2 for a penny. I remember picking up Mary Jane's, red hots, wax bottles and wax lips, red string licorice, pixie sticks, and button candy among other things and stuffing it all into a little paper bag. All for about 25 cents. No wonder my teeth were terrible as a kid!

It was a great time to be a kid.  Sigh ...

Hold onto your dreams ....
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 02:44:10 PM »

In my town we had one of the last drugstores that had an ice cream fountain.  It was great to sit there and have a sundae with my big sister.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Barack Clinton
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 12:30:27 AM »

I miss ACORN. They were a great group of people trying to help the poor and disenfranchised make their lives a little better by helping them learn about their rights and protections under the law so they could try to get themselves out of poverty.

Naturally corporate america and it's propaganda outfit, fox, had to murder it thru staging a false news story and misreporting it until they managed to kill it because they get off hurting poor people and anyone who tries to help them.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 12:47:04 AM »

I miss ACORN. They were a great group of people trying to help the poor and disenfranchised make their lives a little better by helping them learn about their rights and protections under the law so they could try to get themselves out of poverty.

Naturally corporate america and it's propaganda outfit, fox, had to murder it thru staging a false news story and misreporting it until they managed to kill it because they get off hurting poor people and anyone who tries to help them.

Did ACORN give out drive in movie tickets? If I was rich-I'd give out drive in movie tickets. And hot dogs.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 01:00:26 AM »

Drive-ins, for sure.  They still exist around here (although, there aren't many) and I try to get to one every few years, but they aren't as fun as they used to be for some reason.  I'd love to see someone open a drive-in that showed only "classic" drive-in movies like DON'T LOOK IN THE BASEMENT and LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, but unfortunately I don't think they would make much money.  (I would go there quite frequently, however).

I also miss Gino's restaurants.  They used to be a competitor of McDonald's and I remember going there a lot when I was a kid.  They had burgers named "The Gino Giant" and "The Jumbo Gino."  There was one a couple miles from my house, but it closed when I was probably 10 years old, maybe younger. 

Oh yeah! I remember the jingle for them when I was little: "Everybody goes to Gino's".

We had a few of them in New Jersey, but not many. But I remember the Gino Giant quite well. One time my uncle took me along wiht him and his running buddy, Mario, and I watched in fascination as Mario ate 6 (yes, count them) Gino Giants.

Also, in Flemington NJ we had the Weiner King restaurant. They went under in 1980 or so but until that time they had some great food. Many people fondly recall having somethng to eat at the old Flemington Raceway, and then hitting the Weiner King on the way back home.  We did it all the time.

As well, the old Flemington mall had the greatest arcade noone ever knew about, The Supercade.  From around 1975 to 1994, the Supercade was the place for anyone with a Fistful Of Quarters. I should know, I probably bought a house for some Japanese exec with the money I used to plunk down on old faves like Dragon's Lair and Wizard Of Wor, to name a few.  Smile    Yeah, old Flemington used to be the place.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 01:56:26 AM »

I'm pretty much in agreement with the rest of you. I really miss Arcades (I spent many hours in them as a teenager - they actually had one a very short distance from where I lived but it got shut down because it was being used a front for drug dealings - of course I had no part of that and when I heard of it, I went out of my way to avoid the place), Newstands (although you can still find some newstand selections in pharmacies around here --I can actually buy comic books there if I wanted albeit a very limited variety), Drive-Ins (we had one about 40 minutes driving distance and I do recall watching  and enjoying No Holds Barred there as a kid having Drive-In style snacks with a friend), and definitely Video Stores (there was something fun about just the experience of going out and renting movies, browsing the selections --then you could actually find a variety of films from every decade and not just modern releases---I recall one time picking up two Godzilla movies, a classic Doctor Who story, The Right Stuff and 2001: A Space Odyssey...I had a blast watching these although they seemed to put everyone else to sleep?!)--(Also you could rent pro wrestling videos...hell, we had to book these weeks ahead of time when new ones came out they were so popular back then, nowadays they still have special WWE releases but it all tends to be the same thing over and over).

When it comes to physical places, I really miss Woolworth believe it or not. Woolworth here was bought out by Wal-Mart but I will always prefer Woolworth. They were a big store chain yet there was something a bit more down home about them IMO. I liked that they had video games set up that you could walk in and use and no one bugged you or hassled you about it. I spent many hours playing Nintendo games in there in that fashion. They also a little bit of everything and sometimes you might discover an oddity or two of interest.

Speaking of newstands, I also miss the comic book spin rack. Back in the day at my local pharmacy (actually the pharmacy still tends to be the best place to buy magazines and comics) had a huge spin rack filled up with comic books. Of course back then when I was a kid, you could actually buy half a dozen or more comics without costing you an arm and a leg like it probably would nowadays.

There's been several restaurants over the years I enjoyed visiting but they're no longer around and I cannot even recall the names anymore but one place had the best fries I've ever tasted in my life, another used to sell bottles of pop that I loved as a kid, and you could take the bottles back and have them refilled...I remember loving the Orange and Grape soda.

In the movies and on TV and Archie comics, I've always wondered if the 50s Malt Shop ever really existed as it does seem a place in these stories I'd love to have experienced.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:02:45 AM by xJaseSFx » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 09:32:24 PM »

I'm pretty much in agreement with the rest of you. I really miss Arcades (I spent many hours in them as a teenager - they actually had one a very short distance from where I lived but it got shut down because it was being used a front for drug dealings - of course I had no part of that and when I heard of it, I went out of my way to avoid the place.)

Same thing that ruined the Supercade in Flemington, NJ. All the drugs and the employees who were in on it. It went from a great place to a sh*thole.  Back around 1985 or '6 One employee robbed the safe and went around giving free quarters to everyone.  He had a huge bag of quarters and none of us thought anything of it, and didn't realize we were spending the evidence! We just thought he was being cool.

Newstands (although you can still find some newstand selections in pharmacies around here --I can actually buy comic books there if I wanted albeit a very limited variety.)

Werd. The old Schuyler's newststand in old Clinton, NJ had my comics like Weird,
Tales From The Tomb and Gent Natural D Cups and Oriental Women. The horror comics I mentioned were a stable of my upbringing, and the adult mags, well...y'know. One a' those things you wind up appreciating when you're old enough to pick one up yourself BounceGiggle

When it comes to physical places, I really miss Woolworth believe it or not. Woolworth here was bought out by Wal-Mart but I will always prefer Woolworth. They were a big store chain yet there was something a bit more down home about them IMO. I liked that they had video games set up that you could walk in and use and no one bugged you or hassled you about it. I spent many hours playing Nintendo games in there in that fashion. They also a little bit of everything and sometimes you might discover an oddity or two of interest.

Woolworths! Almost every Saturday my mom, grams and I would pile in the car when I was around 5 or 6 and we'd cruise on down to Somerville NJ to have lunch at the Woolworths lunch counter.  I remember my mom always getting the Turkey Club sandwich, something she still does to this day when she can.  I used to browse the model section and occasionally wind up going home with an Aurora Dracula (or some other Aurora kit.)

There's been several restaurants over the years I enjoyed visiting but they're no longer around and I cannot even recall the names anymore but one place had the best fries I've ever tasted in my life, another used to sell bottles of pop that I loved as a kid, and you could take the bottles back and have them refilled...I remember loving the Orange and Grape soda.

The old Spinning Wheel diner in Lebanon, NJ. I loved going there. There was also a plce called the VC Diner, and then there was the King of hangouts, the Daz-O-Del in old Clinton, NJ. Back in the 80's me and a few mates would have a bite there, and then walk over the the Clinton Point Theatre about 150 feet away. It was the ultimate marriage in convenience. 

Hunterdon county was the place to grow up in back then..there was so much to do. From Old Lebanon to Flemighton and points bewteen (Clinton and Hampton) there was always something to do. Not so much these days.

Oh and before I close, the old Major's dept. store in Flemington was a great place too!

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 05:00:44 AM »

He had a huge bag of quarters and none of us thought anything of it, and didn't realize we were spending the evidence! We just thought he was being cool.

In my hometown, there was a restaurant that had videogames and the people used to loosen a panel on the cabinet's front, giving them access to the wiring. There were two wires that if you pressed them together, would give you extra credits if you were lucky*.  TeddyR

* Or one hell of an electric shock if you weren't.  Buggedout Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 12:11:02 PM »

He had a huge bag of quarters and none of us thought anything of it, and didn't realize we were spending the evidence! We just thought he was being cool.

In my hometown, there was a restaurant that had videogames and the people used to loosen a panel on the cabinet's front, giving them access to the wiring. There were two wires that if you pressed them together, would give you extra credits if you were lucky*.  TeddyR

* Or one hell of an electric shock if you weren't.  Buggedout Buggedout

That's like when I was little...in this one old bowling alley I used to go to, the old style pinball machines used to give you free games if you picked them up and slammed then back end of them down on the ground hard enough.

Of course that was a dead giveaway and usually someone would come and throw you out.

Another thing you used to be able to do-we used to hide underneath the pinball machines and shut them off when people were playing, and when they would walk away after giving up. we would duck out and finish their games. Old style electronics we so fallable.  BounceGiggle

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  DEFUNCT PLACES YOU MISS (Drive-ins, roller rinks, restaurants, etc) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.