Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:03:44 PM
714227 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Literally... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I Literally...  (Read 1534 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: January 24, 2011, 01:53:11 PM »

I know this has been brought up here before, I think in a thread about overused words and phrases, but this one never ceases to amaze me, and I just heard it used a little bit ago. There's this thing lately where people, and I see it both in casual conversation and in media, use the word "literally" when they're saying something that is clearly figurative. I makes no sense and when I hear it I can only assume the person is a moron.

"Okay, so, you literally have this guy over a barrel?"

Anyway, a couple of my coworkers were talking about the weekend and one guy was talking about some incredibly funny thing that happened, and how it was so funny that he "literally s**t his pants."

So, in my place of work, it's generally pretty acceptable to interject into a conversation if two people are talking right next to you and at regular volume, that is, not secretive in any way, so I did. I said "Wait a second. So, you literally s**t your pants?"

"Yeah, man, it was that funny." He said.

"So," I said, "let me get this straight, he said so-and-so to you and you immediately evacuated your bowels into your pants? You must have had to race to the bathroom pretty quick."

"No, man, I didn't actually s**t in my pants. It's just it was really funny."

"Oh. I see. You do know what literally means, right?"

"Yeah, yeah. Okay, whatever. You know what I meant."

I don't get this. What is it with people using literally when they mean figuratively? And no, why should I know that you really weren't being literal? Am I just being overly picky? I understand the mutable and informal nature of this American version of the English language that we practice, but come on. On one hand I guess it's amusing calling someone out on literally s**tting their pants, I mean, how can it not be. On the other hand, it's a bit disturbing that people will so flippantly use a word like literally.

I've been noticing this happening all the time lately. It's almost as if I have to start searching for another word to use for things that actually happened besides literally because apparently it can no longer be used for that purpose.

Whew!

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Paquita

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 02:21:48 PM »

Ha!  I see what you mean, but personally, I haven’t seen it misused that much for it to bother me.  The few times I have noticed it used incorrectly, like in the example you gave, I just took it as the guy is trying to add emphasis to his point.  It would have sounded strange for him to say he figuratively pooped his pants..  Now that I think of it, probably a lot more people don’t know what “figuratively” means.. maybe that’s the problem? 

Maybe I’m just so used to it that I don’t notice?  Tell me if I ever use “literally” wrong because I want to know!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 02:26:53 PM »

I literally have no idea what you're talking about.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 02:38:24 PM »

I've noticed some people seem to think it's used for emphasis or something. It bugs me when I hear it, but I agree with Paquita that it's not common enough to be a major peeve. I think you have to be pretty ignorant not to understand what literally means, even more so than the average idiot who misuses words.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 04:15:07 PM »

It amuses me more than it annoys me, despite what my initial post may suggest. But it does bother me a little. Paquita, you're right, I think that's exactly how it is used.

It's like people who say "honestly" before they say something. They're not meaning to suggest that they've been lying or being less than honest up to that point, they're using it to emphasize the seriousness or impact of the point they're about to make. But to me it makes me question their intent. Think about it. If someone says "honestly" before they go into a point, especially if they really emphasize the "honestly" like most do when they use it, the very first thing I think is, "so, you've been deceiving me about everything you've said before?" I can't escape it. Perhaps it's because I used to work in sales and fellow salesmen would use "honestly" a lot, and it almost always sounded like sales-y bulls**t to me.

It's quite possible there are plenty of informal misuses of language just as bad as "literally" that I don't pick up on, those ones just always jump out at me. 

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Literally... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.