Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:47:16 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Past sports events that still give you goosebumps? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Past sports events that still give you goosebumps?  (Read 5572 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: January 25, 2011, 05:38:27 AM »

For me as a South African there are three:

1. The 1995 Rugby World Cup final between SA and New Zealand at Ellis Park, Johannesburg: I was watching a DVD of a documentary made in answer to the inaccurate horror that was Clint Eastwood's Invictus  Buggedout Buggedout and the sight of that huge aeroplane flying low over the stadium ~ portrayed in the film as a possible terrorist attack ~ still sends cold shivers down my spine to this day. Apparently, the entire stadium vibrated and the entire audience were totally gob-smacked: BTW: the aeroplane had the words GOOD LUCK BOKKE under its' wings, no bombs.

2. The 2007 Rugby World Cup Final when the victorious Springbok team lifted the then SA President Thabo Mbeki onto their shoulders. He wasn't expecting them to do that and the expression of delight on his face was great to see.

3. The "438" cricket match between SA and Australia at The Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg in March 2006: cricket can be an enormously entertaining game and this one was no exception: an enthralling days play in which Australia scored 434 runs ~ at the time, the highest one day international score ~ and SA made 438, breaking almost every record in the book.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:14:36 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 07:28:58 PM »

The Mariners huge inaning against the WHite Sox on 5/2/2002
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200205020.shtml

I was driving home from work and they just kept hitting runs off this poor pitcher.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 04:35:25 PM »

None.

Films. Plays. TV shows. They have all given me goosebumps, but I've never seen a sporting event, neither in person nor watching it on TV, that has ever given me goosebumps.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 07:10:10 PM »

Joe Carter bringing in the winning homer against the "Wild Thing" Mitch Williams and the Phillies to win the series.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:31:15 PM »

1986 American League Championship Series.  With the Red Sox trailing the Angels by 3 runs in the 9th inning and facing elimination, Don Baylor and Dave Henderson hit homeruns putting the Red Sox ahead 6 - 5.  The Sox went on to play the Mets in the World Series, only to lose in 7 games.

That World Series had another goosebump moment: Game 6 when an easy ground ball rolled between Bill Buckner's legs opening the door for the Mets to go on and win it all.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 06:29:29 PM »

When Jimmy "Superfly" Shuka jumped off the top of the cage onto "Magnificent" Don Muraco.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 10:49:32 PM »

The 1974 Stanley Cup Finals.  The Philadelphia Flyers were the first Expansion team to win the championship.  And, they had previously lost to Boston at Boston like, 19 times, and tied two other times.  Boston had home-ice advantage.  Yet the Flyers pulled it out.  And then, a couple days later, over 2 Million people celebrated in the streets during the parade, the largest held in the city.  Was recently watching an HBO special called The Broad Street Bullies.  Well worth checking out.

Also: "Stone Cold" Steve Austin pinning Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 14 and winning the championship.  Dunno if that counts as a 'sporting' event, but still. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »

Undertaker throwing  Mick Foley off of the 30 ft. cage in Hell in a Cell.
Mick Foley getting his ear ripped off.

yeah no.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 11:41:31 AM »

Wait a minute . . . are we talking about sports or wrestling?   TeddyR

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 03:10:55 PM »

1. Seeing Tyson in his prime just clobber the snot out of his opponents, sending them to the canvas with a ferocity not seen in boxing.  The KOs he dealt were a thing of beauty.  Between Tyson and Ali in their prime, I'd seriously take Tyson.  He wasn't vertically imposing but physically he was a tank.
2. Seeing Tyson get his butt handed to him by chump "Buster" Douglas.  Douglas was champ long enough to get his own Sega Genesis game and that was about it.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 11:29:36 PM »

Wait a minute . . . are we talking about sports or wrestling?   TeddyR
It's kinda 'sporty', in a way. Lookingup Wink

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 02:19:23 AM »

Undertaker throwing  Mick Foley off of the 30 ft. cage in Hell in a Cell.
Mick Foley getting his ear ripped off.

Mine was better, since it was what made Mick Foley want to be a Pro Wrestler. He was there and saw it live.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Hammock Rider

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 09:35:57 AM »

Superbowl XX. The entire game.
Small | Large

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Past sports events that still give you goosebumps? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.