Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:15:13 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Controversial TV series « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Controversial TV series  (Read 22916 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2011, 09:38:41 AM »

IMO in principle, this discussion is just a continuation of the atheism thread.  Perhaps it is providing vukxfiles with some much-needed therapy; but I rather doubt it.

If you don't like it then get out of the thread and never come back. This thread is about controversial shows, and if you don't like the subject then don't discuss it.

BounceGiggle  Hypocrite!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2011, 12:02:31 PM »

If you don't like it then get out of the thread and never come back. This thread is about controversial shows, and if you don't like the subject then don't discuss it.

That just earned 30 days to cool off.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2011, 08:59:11 PM »

Hopefully parents won't rely on the media to raise their children. Right now, doing so inadvertently teaches kids that violence is an acceptable answer to many problems in life and that in order to be popular (if you're a girl) you pretty much need to dress like a slut or (if you're a guy) be an a***ole. Thankfully, most parents actually parent and don't let TV and the internet raise their kids.

Agreed.  However: parenting is only made all that much harder by having the media present and promote the images and models described above.  TV as it is now (I.E. censored at least during earlier hours to provide 'family' content)  presents a very persuasive picture of violence and sluttishness, among other things, as being the norm.  Now TRY to swim against that current as a parent: almost every thing you say is countered by the TV saying it is the way EVERYONE behaves or is expected to behave.  No matter how obviously untrue it is, the images portrayed are attractive and difficult to refute IF you are already having an uphill battle persuading a youngster that behaving in a respectable manner is to their own best interest.  And since lower standards are being called for here the solution to this is supposed to be the parent policing the TV more?  That'll work.  Lookingup

That was a very well thought-out response, Newt.  Thumbup

I'm gonna add a few more bars to the song, if I may:

The media vs. the parents.   The eternal battle for the hearts and minds of our kids.

Now TRY to swim against that current as a parent: almost every thing you say is countered by the TV saying it is the way EVERYONE behaves or is expected to behave.

The warnings on cable shows and movies: "adult content, adult humor, adult situations, ect" proves what you said above. Adults are expected to act that way in order to be "cool" or "funny." At least, for the sake of the movie, and not real life.

And the real-life part is what the media tends to "forget" to remind us of.

The media promotes toilet humored, self self-serving slobs who'll do anything for a good time, or they're busy pitying Hollywood actors and sports figures that get away with a slap on the wrist whenever they screw up.  OR the old "teen idol" thing.

What is this teaching our kids, that this is the real world? It may be for some, but not for all.  And that's where we as adults and parents have the duty to set the record straight, that this is NOT the real world.

But when you have the media and the fringe groups and the secular elements constantly running calculated interference and promoting the things they are, it's a virtual battle for the hearts and minds of our kids. 

You are the parent, not the Media, not Congress, not Hollywood,  you. And for my money, if the groups I mentioned above don't like it, they can go, well, you know.  BounceGiggle   Parents rule!

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2011, 04:37:21 AM »

I like it when regular tv shows go off the wall and do an controversial episode. Roseanne:Crime and Punishment(5-13) & Family Matters:The Gun (6-16) are prime examples. I'd rather see a show be controversial every once in a while then doing it all the time.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2011, 09:59:13 PM »

We can't talk about controversial shows without including "Arrested Development". On top of all the dysfunctional stuff that goes on in that family, the whole relationship between George-Michael and his cousin Maybe was pretty out there. There is always something going on, like Dad telling Maybe to sit on George Michael's lap in the car, while on a bumpy road, or his dad saying something like "I want you to rub off on her" and such. The part where Tobias is climbing into the top bunk and George Michael sees his balls is pretty out there. The Aunt accidentally coming on to the Nephew and all the retarded things Tobias says are just F-ing out there.

Great show though.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2011, 10:00:53 PM »

I like it when regular tv shows go off the wall and do an controversial episode. Roseanne:Crime and Punishment(5-13) & Family Matters:The Gun (6-16) are prime examples. I'd rather see a show be controversial every once in a while then doing it all the time.

I loved the episode of Rosanne where the boy had just discovered masturbation. The girl says "He's been in the bathroom for almost two hours, which means he's either really really GOOD at it, or really really BAD at it"

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Controversial TV series « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.