Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:33:24 AM
713387 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Winter movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Winter movies  (Read 4883 times)
WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« on: February 02, 2011, 09:44:22 PM »

Hey B-movie-philes,
As can be guessed by my screenname I am a hoosier by geography. Anyone who has seen the news lately has noticed that Indiana as well as roughly 2/3 of USA, all of Canada, most of Mexico and a good chunk of Mars (why not) is covered over with ice.  In honor of this I am calling for your favorite frozen movies (good or bad) and what you like about them.

Ice Spiders - Off the mill movie brought to you by SciFi.  Features a govt. facility that creates genetically modified giant spiders (your tax dollars at work) and is operating on the logic that if they are up in a snowy mountainous region and the spiders escape its ok because they can't survive the cold.  As expected the spiders run amok and a very generic "special" forces group is called in to put them down.  The spiders escape and through the magic of genetics can survive the cold to terrorize a nearby ski club.  Love the terrible CGI in this one (spiders have akward/no shadows, characters randomly wave appendages to "fend off" the spiders) and the "special" forces.

So what's your fav?

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
Couchtr26
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:00:02 PM »

Snowbeast - It has that feel of both warmth from a large group of people together at a vacation spot.  However, it has isolation and the snowbeast.  Okay, I'm a bigfoot fan at times.  It has some nice cinematography of the forest all snow covered.  It gives a chill and makes us feel both an intense chilly bite and that jaws terror. 

Ah, the good old days.
Used Meathook
Templar Knight in Training
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 02:24:56 AM »

Iced

...fun slasher flick from a couple decades ago. Not sure if it ever made its way to DVD, so I've had a DVD-R version sitting on my shelf over the years.

Dead Snow

...recent movie about nazi zombies. And who doesn't like nazi zombies??? Although I'm not very fond of more recent horror films, this one was a pleasant watch.

Shredder

...killer snowboarder or skier or something. I can't really remember because I haven't watched it in forever. Although, I do own it, so it must be "watchable" at least.  BounceGiggle I think it was from the early 2000's or so.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:58:47 AM »

The Heroes of Telemark (1965) - WWII movie starring Kirk Douglas, about a group of Allied commandos trying to destroy the German's heavy water plant in Norway.  Oodles of gorgeous winter scenery.

Where Eagles Dare (1968) - another WWII movie, this time with allied commandos infiltrating a German castle high in the snowy mountains.

Doctor Zhivago (1965) - lots of very memorable winter scenes in that one.

The Abominable Snowman (1957) - Forrest Tucker and Peter Cushing are intrepid explorers who capture a yeti high in the Himalayas. 

Cheerleader Massacre (2003) - slasher flick about some kids in a cabin.  Nice winter scenery.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 08:09:34 AM »

Batman Returns. (1992)

The snow covered streets of Gotham have never looked so good.  Smile

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
claws
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 08:09:53 AM »

Iced

...fun slasher flick from a couple decades ago. Not sure if it ever made its way to DVD, so I've had a DVD-R version sitting on my shelf over the years.

According to Bill Norton from Code Red DVD, Iced will probably never make it to DVD. They were looking into a possible release but the owner only has a beat up video master print, no film negative.

As for favorite Winter movies of mine:

10 Underrated Horror Movies With Winter Setting :)

skuts
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 09:40:50 AM »

Don't forget the global warming -caused snowpocalypse in Al Gore's favorite documentary sci-fi flick, The Day After Tomorrow and my favorite snowbound flick, The Thing (both versions)

Babies taste best.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 09:51:21 AM »

One of my favorites is Fargo. I think The Lookout also takes place in the winter. White Out is not a very good winter movie because Kate Beckinsale wears neither latex nor spandex but a huge parka. It takes place in Antartica though so it's got the frozen wasteland thing covered. And let's not forget Christmas Vacation.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 09:54:47 AM »

FROZEN is a recent winter movie I enjoyed. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »

I gotta agree with Iced - so bad, yet so good!

Plus, I'd throw in the Silent Night, Deadly Night flicks, Black Christmas, and Christmas Evil.  Also, I THINK that The Stuff has a winter setting (seems like I remember them first finding the titular stuff in the snow).

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »

One of my favorites is Fargo. I think The Lookout also takes place in the winter. White Out is not a very good winter movie because Kate Beckinsale wears neither latex nor spandex but a huge parka. It takes place in Antartica though so it's got the frozen wasteland thing covered. And let's not forget Christmas Vacation.

You beat me to Fargo. However, I don't know if we're restricted to b-movies.

Fargo is my favorite Coen Bros. movie, with The Big Lebowski a very close second. Fargo was so wintery. It was like a whiteout.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 02:00:39 PM »

What? No one has mentioned Yeti yet?

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 10:22:48 PM »

The Shining
Dreamcatcher
Cliffhanger

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 01:15:43 AM »

Quintet
Virus (1980) (a lot of it set in Antarctica)
The Thing From Another World
The Thing (1982)

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 01:47:32 AM »

Jack Frost. Not the Michael Keaton one, and not the killer snowman one. This Norwegian one. Words cant even describe it.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Winter movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.