Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:45:14 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What is your favorite Genre of Music? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What is your favorite Genre of Music?  (Read 7579 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: February 05, 2011, 07:34:43 AM »

When I was a teenager-I loved hard rock-Jimi Hendrix,Led Zep,Sabbath,Kiss-were my favorite bands. In the early 80's.I got onna bluegrass kick-Flatt and Scruggs,the Osbourne Bros.-and then I hitchhiked to NYC in 1983-I turned punk. I saw the Daed Boys,the Cramps,the Ramones,and a lot of NYC hrdcore band. I turned punk.
I came back to Michigan-and got into speed metal-"Thrash" .Slayer,Anthrax,Nuculer Assault,Dirty Rotton Imbeciles-stuff like that.Then I met me wife Tara Sue and mellowed-she was a fan of the Grateful Dead. Unfourtunatly-I hated the Dead-still do. But we found a common ground in Jazz.

Now-well-I enjoy all of the above-just because I enjoy Black Flag doesnt lessen my love for Loretta Lynn.
Ok-So-what are your favorite genres of music? In currently on a jazz kick,daddy-0
 Jazz-
Small | Large

Punk-
Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 07:41:43 AM »

I'm mostly into music from the early '80s, when I was in high school.  Everything from Pat Benatar to Def Leppard to Blondie to Van Halen.  And every hair metal band, pop/rock band, and New Wave band in between.  I also still like the classic stuff, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, The Eagles.  And I don't mind a little smooth jazz now and then, especially if it features a lot of guitar or fancy bass playing.  Not so into the horns.  Craig Chaquico, who used to play guitar for Jefferson Starship (or Airplane, I dunno) has some really good stuff. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:42:43 AM »

I'm all over the place honestly...nowdays I tend to listen to mostly 80s punk (Ramones, Clash, Misfits, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Teen Idles. In my younger days, I listened to a lot of popular Canadian performers like Bryan Adams and Corey Hart (still like them too to be honest) as well as more popular mainstream stuff like Dire Straits, Bruce Springsteen and Thompson Twins. I find I like most everything from the 80s but especially the New Wave stuff and the cheesy 80s punky pop (Animotion, Cyndi Lauper, etc.). In my teen years, I got into more college rock and my favourite band quickly became R.E.M. but I also liked bands who were pro-environmental like Living Colour, Midnight Oil and Hunters & Collectors. I still tended to like a lot of Canadian bands too like Spirit of the West, 54-40, The Skydiggers. I have to admit to partaking a bit in the rap/dance craze of the late 80s/early 90s too and I did listen to M.C. Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Technotronic, etc. (which I no longer really care for but can still listen to) which eventually led me to bands like Pop Will Eat Itself and the KLF. Honestly while I mostly listen to punk, I'm not adverse to listening to tunes nowadays by Bif Naked, Sarah McLachlan, Jann Arden, Coldplay, Tom Petty, Neil Young and Tracy Chapman (I love all the voices involved there). As I got older and went to more dances, I discovered more classic bandslike CCR, Grand Funk Railroad and Lynyrd Skynyrd which I came to love.  Some other bands I really like include Twisted Sister, Rage Against the Machine, Cheap Trick, Loverboy, Black Sabbath, Nazareth, The B-52s, The Beach Boys and Alice Cooper. I also love old time crooners like Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra. I also think very highly of Louis Armstrong and Ray Charles.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 10:27:48 AM »

My favorite genre is punk rock.

Other types of music I enjoy are rockabilly, psychobilly, doo wop, classic country (the old fashioned "twangy" kind), spaghetti western soundtracks, goth, and some metal.
claws
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »

I pretty much enjoy all genres especially R&B, Soul, Funk, Rap: Old School. I also like New Wave / Rock-Pop from the 80s and Classic Rock. And I have a soft spot for Country music.

Metal/Death Metal/Goth/Grind Core/Whatever I could never get into.
Used Meathook
Templar Knight in Training
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 12:20:25 PM »

I listen to mostly death metal. Although, I do dabble in a little bit of everything. My ipod sometimes shuffles into the weirdest combinations. For example:

- Cannibal Corpse
- Shakira
- Brotha Lynch Hung
- Darude
- Brooks and Dunn
- Three Six Mafia
- Trace Adkins
- Bad Religion
- Incantation
- Autopsy
- Bathtub s**tter
- Cory Hart
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 01:01:07 PM »

When I was a teenager, classic rock and prog rock.  Started getting into jazz and classical in my late teens and never really looked back. 

Most lyrics in popular/rock music are too awful for me to stand, so I greatly prefer listening to instrumental music.  When I do listen to something lyrical nowadays I prefer old folk/blues/Americana/classic country/alt country. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 02:03:57 PM »

Its metal and jazz for me.

Iron Maiden and Diana Krall are all I need.  Smile

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 02:16:41 PM »

I mainly like alternative rock, but I vary from day to day.

Other genres I like punk,country,southern rock,rockabilly,blues,r&B,metal,grunge and classic rock.

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 06:49:37 PM »

Classic rock mostly and techno dance stuff mostly.  I'm really open to all sorts of stuff except for rap and country/bluegrass.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Couchtr26

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 07:11:23 PM »

Metal mostly.  I enjoy a few other styles but I have no style that goes above everything else besides metal.  It is more what tune catches my ear. 

Ah, the good old days.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 08:16:45 PM »

Lacuna Coil
Arch Enemy
Stuck Mojo
Iced Earthed
Iron Maiden
Steve Windwood
Bad Religion
Misfits
Children of Bodom
Erasure
Breaking Benjamin
Weird Al
VnV Nation
Within Temptation
Sirenia
Cro-Mags
Nightwish
Sublime
muse
just to name a few.... TongueOut

yeah no.
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 01:56:57 AM »

Lots of stuff!!!

However, if I could only listen to 1 genre for the rest of my life: 1970's rock.

I also especially like 60's pop/rock and 70's/80's metal/rock/pop/new wave, but I'm always exploring.

I've recently started getting into:

80's synth/dance/technoish stuff (New Order, Duran Duran, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, etc...)
Late 70's/Early 80's electronic (Gary Numan, Tangerine Dream, etc...)
50's rock/pop (Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, etc...)
90's Alternative (Crash Test Dummies, Reverend Horton Heat, etc...)
Swing (Eydie Gorme)

I am also looking into Jazz(ish) stuff:

Claude Bolling, Sun Ra, Soft Machine

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 12:10:04 PM »

Its metal and jazz for me.

Iron Maiden and Diana Krall are all I need.  Smile

Iron Maiden is still incredible after 3 decades...Bruce Dickinson's voice is still akin to that of an air raid siren when he hits those high notes.

Not only that, but their first singer, Paul Di Anno, was with Maiden when they were at the edge of the very short-lived but prolific days of the NWOBHM (one of my very favorite genres.) That music still sounds as good today as it did way back when!

The NWOBHM is great-bands like Raven, Diamond Head, White Spirit, Jaguar, Paralex, I could go on forever with a laundry list of names of which only a few bands survived, one of them being Raven, my fave of the whole pack. 

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 01:16:16 PM »

Traditional Polka Music Played on Dog Whistles.

I've always loved the Traditional Polka Music Played on Dog Whistles genre since I was little, and I love the purists who keep it truly traditional. I hate when the world-music lamos take Traditional Polka Music Played on Dog Whistles and try to duplicate it on sythesizers with all kinds of fancy production. Unfortunately for purists like myself, the Traditional Polka Music Played on Dog Whistles category on iTunes usually gives me just that. I'm sorry, but samplers just can't seem to reproduce that sweet timbre that only dogs can hear quite like the real thing. Most of the authentic Traditional Polka Music Played on Dog Whistles recordings are out of print, but once in a while I'll find some on vinyl at my local vintage LP shop.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What is your favorite Genre of Music? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.