Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:02:56 AM
713393 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Bandwidth Cap Coming to Canada « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bandwidth Cap Coming to Canada  (Read 2835 times)
SPazzo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My kinda toy...

« on: February 01, 2011, 12:23:40 AM »

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2011/01/31/technology-internet-usage-based-billing.html

From the article:
The amount of video or data that can be streamed or downloaded by some internet customers under their current price plans is being cut almost 90 per cent following a recent CRTC decision.

Starting March 1, customers who subscribe to five-megabits-per-second internet service with Teksavvy will only be able to use 25 gigabytes per month in Ontario and 60 gigabytes per month in Quebec instead of 200 gigabytes per month, the company said in an email to customers over the weekend. If they exceed the new caps, they will have to pay hefty surcharges.

In addition, the company will no longer offer unlimited internet packages.

So, I'm not in Ontario or Quebec, but I'm pretty sure there are some other Canadians on here that are.  What do you guys think of this?  Besides being an obvious way to get rid of the new Canadian Netflix streaming, it seems to just be another money making grab.

So, any thoughts?
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:48:56 AM »

Hopefully over the coming years this will cause more internet service providers to enter the market.  The only reason they can do this is because people don't have a choice (except slow DSL).  If people did have a choice, these companies would probably lose half their customers immediately.  They're trying to limit internet usage so they can sell service to millions of people on a network that can only handle a few hundred thousand.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:52:16 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:24:17 AM »

Jack is absolutely right.

It is all about the money.  They are after getting more because they CAN.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 04:32:35 PM »

I thought the government threw out this CRTC proposal??

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 10:39:30 AM »

Wed Feb 9
Canada's internet regulator, the CRTC, announced Tuesday that it is reviewing its decision that would effectively force many smaller ISPs to charge customers based on the same usage caps.

Many of those smaller ISPs rent network access from Bell to create retail internet packages for their own customers.

The CRTC's ruling that Bell could charge those ISPs — its wholesale customers — based on the same usage-based caps it charges its retail customers would mean those ISPs would have to lower their usage caps and would no longer be able to offer unlimited internet access.

The issue caused a huge public outcry, prompting Industry Minister Tony Clement to warn the CRTC he would overturn its decision if it did not do so voluntarily.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2011/02/09/technology-bell-internet-usage.html?ref=rss#ixzz1DYziXW1S

Suggested motivations for a rate increase from one of the commenters on that page:

1: Bell has taken on more business than thier pipe can handle and upgrading or adding more pipes means a loss in net profits, and that makes shareholders unhappy.

2: Bell is losing customers to these smaller ISP's that do not meter data and instead of competing, they are imposing an "Industry standard" upon the smaller provider forcing them to do business the way the Big boys do it.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 02:04:34 PM »

I thought the government threw out this CRTC proposal??

Not just yet, from what I've read the CRTC has to revise it within 90 days or else it'll just be thrown out.  If it's revised and the government approves, then it'll come into place.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Bandwidth Cap Coming to Canada « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.