Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:40:55 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  TV Shows Not Released On DVD « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: TV Shows Not Released On DVD  (Read 29627 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 02:03:15 PM »

The entire "Land of the Giants" series was released on a complete series set but I think it may have been one of those mail-order special releases...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
66Crush
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »

Music rights screw up everything. Damn greedy record companies! I just watched a SNL episode on Netflix, the one with Ron Howard and The Clash. And guess what? No Clash! That's why I wanted to watch it because that was my introduction to The Clash and I wanted to relive it. They even cut out the funniest part, where Eddie Murphy kept calling Ron Howard Opie Cunningham! Besides I bet anything it's not even the band's themselves who won't allow the songs to be used, it's the record company. I can't believe the greed of these people! Don't they understand they are denying the public a piece of history.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 11:10:03 PM »

With original music...likely never to happen.  They did release a dvd set with altered soundtrack.  That's why it took so long.  The show used so many bands/artists and none of them signed off on the dvd.  So they changed it.

Yeah, the same for other MTV shows like The State & Beavis And Butthead, better than nothing I guess.
I can't even FIND the State dvd's.  Bluesad

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 01:14:27 AM »

Music rights screw up everything. Damn greedy record companies! I just watched a SNL episode on Netflix, the one with Ron Howard and The Clash. And guess what? No Clash! That's why I wanted to watch it because that was my introduction to The Clash and I wanted to relive it. They even cut out the funniest part, where Eddie Murphy kept calling Ron Howard Opie Cunningham! Besides I bet anything it's not even the band's themselves who won't allow the songs to be used, it's the record company. I can't believe the greed of these people! Don't they understand they are denying the public a piece of history.

Yeah one of my favorite shows(Married With Children) had it's original theme song sung by Frank Sinatra taken off the dvds & i'm sure they cut a whole lot more throughout the series cause MWC used a whole lotta famous music back in the day.

I almost don't want them to release it on dvd if it's not completely uncut with all the music intact.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 08:38:43 AM »

Almost all the original Fugitive music was altered on the later season DVD releases...Rights issues again no doubt. Also why as I think I've said before we won't see The Hilarious House of Frightenstein (in its original form in complete on DVD or even now on TV reruns because of the rights issues surrounding the Wolfman music segments)..no doubt this is also why Cold Case as mentioned isn't on DVD and Beavis and Butt-Head was basically more or less ruined in its DVD released version. Do some of these issues also involve MST3K? (I would expect it probably would).

Also with the WWF/WWE wrestling there's some issues surroudning music rights that sometimes have expired (and hence you'll suddenly hear generic crappy music sometimes on certain DVD releases instead of a more familiar theme song) and of course there's some rights problems surrounding showing the WWF Attitude era logo due to the dispute with the World Wildlife Fund.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:44:26 AM by xJaseSFx » Logged

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 01:18:21 PM »

Yeah one of my favorite shows(Married With Children) had it's original theme song sung by Frank Sinatra taken off the dvds & i'm sure they cut a whole lot more throughout the series cause MWC used a whole lotta famous music back in the day.

I almost don't want them to release it on dvd if it's not completely uncut with all the music intact.

Same here - luckily you can just hit "skip" on the remote and there's a chapter stop after the opening theme concludes  TeddyR  I guess whoever owns the copyright on the main theme wanted so much for it that it would have substantially increased the price of each DVD.  And since they were so greedy, they end up with nothing.  Brilliant!

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »

I've been curious to see any episodes of Way Out - which was a sci-fi anthology that briefly ran on CBS after The Twilight Zone. It was produced by David Susskind and hosted by Roald Dahl. It got great reviews but lousy ratings, so it only lasted for 14 episodes.

Supposedly the series is tied up in some sort of legal crap with Susskind's estate.

An iconic photo from Way Out

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 10:41:59 PM »

Almost all the original Fugitive music was altered on the later season DVD releases...Rights issues again no doubt. Also why as I think I've said before we won't see The Hilarious House of Frightenstein (in its original form in complete on DVD or even now on TV reruns because of the rights issues surrounding the Wolfman music segments)..no doubt this is also why Cold Case as mentioned isn't on DVD and Beavis and Butt-Head was basically more or less ruined in its DVD released version. Do some of these issues also involve MST3K? (I would expect it probably would).

I was going to say MST3K will probably never be officially released in its entirety because of the difficulty of negotiating with 100s of different copyright holders, some of whom object to having their films mocked (i.e. Toho).  I've only heard of one case where music rights specifically may have caused a holdup, though, and that's with the music in the Gumby short that accompanies the SCREAMING SKULL episode. 

And sometimes the problem is not that the copyright holder refuses to license the music, but that they can't actually locate the holder.  In that case a company would prefer not to produce a DVD set at all, only to be sued later.

Interesting site: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/articles/holdup.cfm.  This explains the reasons why dozens of popular shows haven't been released.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
66Crush
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 01:47:31 AM »

I remember when one "Married with Children" episode used "We Are The Champions" in an episode. A few years later when the rerun aired on FX it was replaced with a crappy song that kind of sounded like it. As for MST3K I'm just happy it's out on DVD at all. I hadn't seen it in forever and two years ago started buy them off Amazon, now I'm in love the show all over again.
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 02:18:14 AM »

^Really? Thats just uncalled for.

66Crush
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 09:04:53 PM »

Come to think of it, my cousin bought "The Andy Griffith Show" on VHS back in the 90s and they replaced the theme song for legal reasons. I don't even like that show and I think it's b.s. that they'd replace such an iconic theme song.
MrMari

Keepin' my pimp hand strong since 1975.

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 01:26:36 AM »

Dennis the Menace. One of the funniest of that era.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 12:35:04 PM »

Rev, thanks for the link. It helps provide details about several shows I'd been wondering about and also explains why TV stations can air reruns of Batman and The Green Hornet yet they both remain elusive in legit DVD releases.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »

Daria is still unavailable in the UK.  Bluesad

Ah, I just read that there are plans to bring this to region 2 DVD.

So yay!
Now I want 'Tales from the Crypt' to be in region 2.
 Cheers
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:45:04 PM by Doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »

First Wave is another good show that's not on DVD.  I'd especially like the episodes when Traci Lords joined the show   Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  TV Shows Not Released On DVD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.