Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:24:04 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Old wives tales & silly believes « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Old wives tales & silly believes  (Read 20240 times)
claws
« on: February 09, 2011, 02:10:31 AM »

They always told us not to eat cherries and drink water. Why? Cherries will ferment in your stomach causing unbelievable pain resulting in getting your stomach pumped at the hospital.
Another good one is never to go outside in winter with wet hair or light clothing. You will catch a cold or death doing that.

Care to share a few?
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Never give up on love

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 03:42:33 AM »

Oh boy, Claws, have you opened up a can of worms with this one!  TeddyR   Here are some of the doozies I was brought up with:

When I was a teenager and I was, um, "developing" my breasts would occasionally get itchy.  My mother told me not to scratch them otherwise I would develop cancer  Buggedout

Never leave a wet sponge in the sink or your husband will be a drunk.

Don't sit at the corner of a table or you'll never get married.

If you drop a knife on the floor, the next visitor to your house will be a male.

Don't sweep crumbs out of the house with a broom, or you'll invite bad luck into your house.

Don't go to bed with wet hair or you'll catch a cold.

If a cat crosses your path regardless of colour, you have to spit at it 3 times to negate the bad luck

If a baby is hiccuping it means its nappy (diaper) is wet.

If a bird poos on your head it means you'll have good luck

Don't go to sleep with the window open  because the night air is no good for you.

If I remember any more, I'll post again.  Now that I think about it, I"m amazed I grew up with any critical thinking skills at all!   Buggedout

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 07:30:36 AM »

Here are some:

-If you sit close to the TV while watching you'll become visually impaired
-If you sit on the computer a lot you will get cancer (because of radiation)
-It is bad luck to leave a loaf of bread upside-down
-The wall of china can be viewed from the moon (just thought of adding this)
-It is bad luck to give a name to a dead person
-If you eat fast you will become fat
-If you drink something cold when you're sweaty you will catch a cold
-If you drink something cold your teeth will fall off
-Drinking while eating is bad for your health
-In my country people say that someone has genetics of their uncle, biology says this isn't true  TongueOut
-Going to hell or heaven
-god existing
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 07:55:27 AM »

If a cat crosses your path regardless of colour, you have to spit at it 3 times to negate the bad luck

I'll have to tell that one to my uncle.  He'll actually stop the car, turn around and take a different route to avoid crossing the path of a black cat   BounceGiggle

My mom used to tell me that if I opened my mouth real wide, my whole head would turn inside out  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 09:14:04 AM »

Off the top of my head:

1. If you keep telling lies your teeth will turn black or your nose will grow  Buggedout

Hold onto your dreams ....
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 10:06:56 AM »

-If you sit close to the TV while watching you'll become visually impaired

According to my mom, reading with inadequate light will do the same thing. As far as I can tell, a headache is the worst thing either of these activities will give you.

Mom once tried to tell me that other activities would cause blindness, but I don't think she was serious. Back then, I was astounded that she knew what I was doing in the bathroom for twenty minutes.

As previously mentioned, that being cold gives you a cold.

Shaving hair makes it grow in thicker.

A hot drink will cool you down by making you sweat more.

Sugar makes kids hyperactive.

Your ability to swim is significantly impaired by eating a meal.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 10:14:40 AM »

Wait a minute. What were you doing for 20 minutes in the bathroom, because I also know something boys do alone in the bathroom that old wives say causes blindness, but it never lasts 20 minutes, maybe 5 tops.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 10:32:32 AM »

Wait a minute. What were you doing for 20 minutes in the bathroom, because I also know something boys do alone in the bathroom that old wives say causes blindness, but it never lasts 20 minutes, maybe 5 tops.

All in the technique.

---------------------
BTM

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »

That old "humans only use ten percent of their brain" crap.

Can we please put that to rest?  It's NOT TRUE.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 11:55:17 AM »

In my country, at villages, when a farm animal dies of a disease or something the owner's like to sometimes blame their neighbors of putting a curse on their livestock. Stupid rednecks.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 12:13:14 PM »

In my country, at villages, when a farm animal dies of a disease or something the owner's like to sometimes blame their neighbors of putting a curse on their livestock. Stupid rednecks.

Human nature to pin your misfortune on some victim of circumstance. People too sophisticated to suspect witchcraft start blaming power lines, wind turbines and such. For that matter, it's no different from insisting somebody did something to your computer because it crashed shortly after he used it. People do it all the time.

---------------------
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 12:54:17 PM »

The whole Groundhog sees his shadow thing...

I was told not to sit too close to the TV set as it would damage your eyesight.

Not to stand in front of the microwave because the radiation can cause sickness.

Never turn your car or boat against the sun as to do so was considered bad luck (this was my grandfather's belief). Honestly following that one sometimes today would likely cause many an accident IMO.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 01:07:47 PM »

The groundhog thing bugs me. I mean, it's all in good fun, but I have yet to understand exactly what the rules of this custom are. Some people say seeing the shadow means early spring, some say no shadow means early spring, or alternately, seeing or not seeing (depending on who you ask) the shadow means about six more weeks of winter, which a calendar will tell you. Not that it matters. It's just a bit of fun, a tourist gimmick, an excuse for a winter festival. All good. I'd just like everybody to get it straight.

---------------------
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »

The idea that wet hair will make you sick. Do some research. This myth is absolutely untrue. My in-laws are very old-fashioned and my father-in-law in particular insists that leaving your hair wet in cold weather will make you sick.

The sugar high. There is no scientific evidence that supports that if you give a kid a bunch of sugar that they will get hyped up. This is a myth that has been widely accepted because of some outdated erroneous studies that subsequent studies disproving any correlation have been unable to dislodge from the collective psyche. This idea gets exacerbated by that fact that chocolate, which also contains caffeine, when given to youngsters sometimes DOES evoke hyperness. The effect of the caffeine gets incorrectly associated with sugar intake.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »

Here's one that always mystified me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Old wives tales & silly believes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.