Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:42:55 AM
713396 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Old wives tales & silly believes « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Old wives tales & silly believes  (Read 20251 times)
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Never give up on love

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 04:19:39 AM »

The size of a man's hands or feet will tell you how he's hung. 
Chewing gum takes seven years to pass through the human digestive system.
You have to wait an hour after eating before you go swimming or you'll get cramps.
You should store batteries in the refrigerator to make them last longer.
PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE was the worst movie ever made.

Actually that first one is correct, plus a few othe rmarkers which I won't mention here  Wink  I've applied it to every man I've dated and I've never been wrong yet  Thumbup

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 04:28:06 AM »

[Trevor looks at small hands and size 8 shoes] NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bluesad Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 08:10:02 AM »

I think the thing about not swimming immediately after eating is somewhat correct.  After you eat, a lot of blood flows to the areas around your stomach, which is needed to carry out the digestion process.  When you swim, that blood needs to flow to the muscles, to carry away lactic acid which is a by-product of muscle exertion (it's what gives you the "burn" during exercise).  If not carried away, it can result in cramping.  If your body is trying to devote resources to digestion and you put a heavy physical strain on it from swimming at the same time, well...best to wait a while just to be on the safe side   TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 09:55:34 AM »

Since others are refuting some of the Old Wives' Tales already listed:

-If you eat fast you will become fat

If you eat quickly, you tend to take in a larger quantity before you feel full: so if eating more makes you fat, then it follows that eating fast can contribute.

-In my country people say that someone has genetics of their uncle, biology says this isn't true  TongueOut

Genetics says that a male child can be expected to share 25% of his genes with an uncle: it can be an even higher percentage. It is very comon for children to resemble their parent's siblings Siblings that have the same parents share many of the same genes, making it possible for kids to resemble their aunts and uncles.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Raffine

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 10:26:27 AM »

Genetics says that a male child can be expected to share 25% of his genes with an uncle: it can be an even higher percentage. It is very comon for children to resemble their parent's siblings Siblings that have the same parents share many of the same genes, making it possible for kids to resemble their aunts and uncles.

Interesting. I look lmore like my uncle that I do my parents, and my nephew looks more like me than he does my brother.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 10:35:07 AM »

Interesting. I look lmore like my uncle that I do my parents, and my nephew looks more like me than he does my brother.

Makes sense. Your parents come from the same stock as their siblings, with a different shuffling of the genes. It does seem logical that when those genes are reshuffled, some of the other traits might take more prominence.

Makes me think of my wife's family. There is kind of a distinctive nose shape (kind of hooked and pointed at the same time) on her mom's side of the family. Her mom doesn't have it, but her sister and brother do. And while there is a clear resemblance between my sister-in-law and her mother, she does resemble her uncle, who has the same nose and similar colouring.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 11:07:37 AM »

My charming Irish in-laws, bless 'em, believe without a doubt that you can determine the gender of an expected baby by dangling a needle on a string over the expectant mother's belly.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 12:01:24 PM »

My mom has always been one to cite old wives' tales, but never believed any that weren't at least based on some kind of misunderstood science. She clearly believed that sitting too close to the TV would "ruin your eyes" and eating dry pasta or uncooked rice would cause a bowel blockage when it expanded inside you. But she would only jokingly tell somebody that spilling salt meant they were going to have a fight, or some such thing. Coming from a farming background and growing up in the 1930s and 40s, it doesn't surprise me that she would have some knowledge and fondness for folklore. She's told me her father used to read tea leaves for people. It was just for fun, sort of a party trick. He'd look into the cup and make up some BS, and the other person would make it fit. Same way the pros do it, I suppose. I think they were too much of an old-fashioned Presbyterian family to have any serious belief in the supernatural, beyond their own religion. I get the impression my grandfather also had something of an interest in science, at least as it pertained to agriculture. I never met the man, but I do think I inherited a lot from him.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 12:37:34 PM »

Changing a horse's name changes its luck.

There's a similar one for changing the name of a boat.  On the 'Net, there are elaborate ceremonies circulating for the "only true way" to combat this if you change a boat's name; many involve virgins ... sacrifice a virgin or in place of going THAT extreme, get a virgin to urinate on the boat to "cleanse" it of the old name.

I am so sick of this stupid crap in the 'boating world.'  Geez.  Throughout history (many boaters claim to be "well read"), boats/ships were renamed at will.  Especially warships upon capture; the new Navy would rename the ship that day, or soon thereafter, so one could argue that the OLD name was the unlucky one.

Some ships changed hands many times and underwent as many name changes.  The name of the vessel did not cause defeat - the superior power or skill of the opponent did.

Historically, though, sailors (even deeply religious ones) were a superstitious lot.  Some others:

(1) Whistling or scratching the back stay will make the wind blow

(2) Never leave port on a Friday

(3) Early bad luck in a voyage (accidents, etc) is an omen that the voyage itself is 'doomed.'  The Titanic suffered from some early 'near misses' that many continue to claim foretold the disaster to come.  ALL of this is hindsight, though...there are many cases where early mishaps had no effect later in a vessel's 'career.'

(4) A single hapless crewman (clumsy, ugly, not well liked, etc) can bring back luck to an entire voyage; he was termed a "Jonah" after the Bible story.

(5) For many years, it was commonly held in the British Navy that British sea captains could win engagements by moral force alone - that since they were British, they had an advantage.  The War of 1812 did a lot to overturn this notion.

(6) Never step on or off a vessel by leading with the left foot; nailing a right boot the mast could bring good luck.

(7) Women on board were considered bad luck; this may have arisen due to the 'distraction' or disaffection it caused in the crew. Exceptions were made for warrant officer's wives.  Another exception was if the woman was naked; she was then thought to calm the sea.  (yea, right...tell me some of this was not well thought out).

(8) It is unlucky to kill an Albatross.  Some mistake this one to be that is considered unlucky to SEE an albatross, but that is actually lucky.

(9) Placing a coin under the mast will bring good luck.

(10) Cutting your hair at sea can bring bad luck.  Sailors took enormous pride in the length of their plaits.  The "crew cut" for sailors is a recent phenomenon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 12:42:24 PM »

Actually that first one is correct, plus a few othe rmarkers which I won't mention here  Wink  I've applied it to every man I've dated and I've never been wrong yet  Thumbup

KB, there's something that comes to mind here called "sample size."   Wink  Also, I've heard this myth applied to hands, feet and noses---but I have small hands, average sized feet and a big nose---so what would you conclude?   TongueOut

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 12:57:55 PM »

I think the thing about not swimming immediately after eating is somewhat correct.  After you eat, a lot of blood flows to the areas around your stomach, which is needed to carry out the digestion process.  When you swim, that blood needs to flow to the muscles, to carry away lactic acid which is a by-product of muscle exertion (it's what gives you the "burn" during exercise).  If not carried away, it can result in cramping.  If your body is trying to devote resources to digestion and you put a heavy physical strain on it from swimming at the same time, well...best to wait a while just to be on the safe side   TeddyR

Sounds plausible--but it's just theoretical, the empirical evidence doesn't back it up.  This is almost always listed as a myth. 

From the New York Times health column:  "..the warning is yet another old wives' tale that should be laid to rest. The theory is that the process of digestion increases blood flow to the stomach - away from the muscles needed for swimming - and leads to cramps, which increase the risk of drowning.

Dr. Roshini Rajapaksa, a gastroenterologist at the New York University School of Medicine, said that while swimming strenuously on a full stomach could conceivably lead to cramps, for most recreational swimmers the chances are small. And at least one study that looked at drownings in the United States found that fewer than 1 percent occurred after the victim ate a meal, she added."

But maybe you and the old wives are right, it doesn't really hurt anything so why not be on the safe side?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2011, 01:07:25 PM »

My charming Irish in-laws, bless 'em, believe without a doubt that you can determine the gender of an expected baby by dangling a needle on a string over the expectant mother's belly.

Well...it will tell you if its boy/girl or ferromagnetic mutant for sure.
0Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 09:27:54 PM »

Going out a different entrance than you came in can be bad luck. Also returning home prematurely from a plannet trip to get something you've forgotten.

A black cat passing in front of you is an ill omen.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2011, 12:36:02 AM »

KB, there's something that comes to mind here called "sample size."   Wink  Also, I've heard this myth applied to hands, feet and noses---but I have small hands, average sized feet and a big nose---so what would you conclude?   TongueOut

RC, I would have to see you in real life to determine for sure.  What you consider small hands, might not be so depending on the other criteria that I use  Wink

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
Used Meathook
Templar Knight in Training
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2011, 12:13:54 PM »

- Watching horror movies and playing violent video games will turn you into a psychopathic maniac.

BounceGiggle

...in that case, I've been "under the influence" for the last 27yrs and am about to crack!  Twirling
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Old wives tales & silly believes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.