Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:17:12 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  In Praise of... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Author Topic: In Praise of...  (Read 23630 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: February 09, 2011, 04:01:37 AM »

Okay, this is a bit nebulous for a thread idea, but I hope it works.

Basically, bring up anything you think deserves praise. Music education, knot-tying, the works of Ed Wood, Jr. I want to start it because I love hearing people talk about things they genuinely care about. It is so, so easy to disparage the things you hate. It is much harder to talk about the things you care about, because you actually have to put yourself into the conversation. The internet is full of "I hate" and it's something I find increasingly tiresome.

So if you have something you want to praise, please add to this thread. Talk about anything you want to talk about. My hope is that there will be thoughtful responses, and this thread will be continually reinvigorated by new topics for discussion. The idea may be too broad, so it may die, but them's the breaks.

To start off: mathematics.

I love math, and think it is an endlessly useful tool to have at your disposal.

Math gets a bad rap because it is something that is fairly difficult to learn. Math is also not helped by the fact that their are some very, very bad math teachers out there. By it's very nature, math is an anal-retentive pastime, and one bad teacher can put a person off math for life.

I don't believe that math is something you either have a talent for or you don't, but it often seems that way to people. In this way, it's very much like music. Granted, their are those who can pick it up and play with little trouble, but I don't think there is anybody who can't learn math if they really tried.

The continual cry against higher math is, "Well, I'll never have to use this in my daily life." There are a lot of things you will never have to use in your daily life, but that doesn't mean knowing them won't enrich your day-to-day living in unexpected ways. Learning the basics of calculus is incredibly dry, but once you get to the point where you can apply them and see how it applies to even the most fundamental of daily activities it takes on a life of its own. Calculus is an incredibly powerful tool, and one that applies to your daily life in ways you would never think about until you worked through it on your own.

But the number one reason why I think math is vital is that it is a boot camp for your brain. It's a discipline that forces you to account for all the errors your brain will make on its way to an answer. It doesn't matter who you are, or what problem you're trying to solve, at some point you will make an error in thought that you would never recognize unless you were forced to go back and step-by-step find out where you went astray. That rigor isn't anything people are born with, you have to spend time working it out for yourself.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:17:04 AM »

My praise goes to everyone on this site for being so completely wonderful and prime examples of how good, decent and kind humans can be.  In a world that seems to be full of self absorbed, instant gratification, pop culture whores, the souls who populate this site give me hope that there are still those who value substance and good conversation over society's increasingly sex-saturated psyches.

I speak mainly of my recent romantic troubles and all the earth angels who reached out to me, a complete stranger, to give me words of courage and hope and support when there was no obvious imperative to so do.

Thank you hardly seems adequate, but I say thank you from the bottom of heart (and from the heart of my bottom as well)   TeddyR

You guys rock!   Cheers

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:22:49 AM »

My praise goes to everyone on this site for being so completely wonderful and prime examples of how good, decent and kind humans can be. 

This is in spite of my undies always spiting me, not so?  Wink

and from the heart of my bottom as well   TeddyR  You guys rock!   Cheers

TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR *HUG*

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:40:55 AM »

My praise goes to everyone on this site for being so completely wonderful and prime examples of how good, decent and kind humans can be.  In a world that seems to be full of self absorbed, instant gratification, pop culture whores, the souls who populate this site give me hope that there are still those who value substance and good conversation over society's increasingly sex-saturated psyches.
You're welcome, sweetie!  Smile

My praise goes also goes to some pretty cool cats on the board (pretty much everyone) who share not only my love of bad movies, but other subjects too.  They also create some pretty awesome threads.  Fun stuff!  And thanks for some karma bonuses too!

Also, a little quick praise for Anthony Wong, star of The Untold Story and Ebola Syndrome.  What a hell of an actor!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 04:44:25 AM »

Ebola Syndrome. 

Russell, someone told me a while back that part of that film was shot in South Africa ~ is that true?  Smile

retrorussell

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 04:52:54 AM »

Some of it, yes.  About a third of the way through the film the soon-to-be Ebola carrier flies to South Africa to work at a restaurant there (and avoid the authorities for murders he committed in Hong Kong).  Can't get exact details on where it was filmed in South Africa other than Johannesberg (Gauteng) was one of the locations. 

Dude, you gotta see this great flick!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 04:55:00 AM »

Some of it, yes.  About a third of the way through the film the soon-to-be Ebola carrier flies to South Africa to work at a restaurant there (and avoid the authorities for murders he committed in Hong Kong).  Can't get exact details on where it was filmed in South Africa other than Johannesberg (Gauteng) was one of the locations. 

Dude, you gotta see this great flick!

I think I may have eaten some of his food when I was in Johannesburg a while back.  Buggedout Wink I will see if I can find it.  Smile

retrorussell

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 05:00:10 AM »

I don't want to spoil the movie for you but I sure as hell hope you never ate his food!

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 05:16:39 AM »

I don't want to spoil the movie for you but I sure as hell hope you never ate his food!

TeddyR TeddyR

If what I read on Wikipedia about this film is correct, I hope I never did eat anything he made.  Buggedout Wink

retrorussell

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 05:24:54 AM »

TeddyR TeddyR

If what I read on Wikipedia about this film is correct, I hope I never did eat anything he made.  Buggedout Wink
Yep.  Check out that film, and The Untold Story.  Both are incredibly awesome.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 05:34:12 AM »

.Forrest J. Ackerman-who started me on my monster movie kick.
.My wife Tara Sue-who put up with it-even encouraged it.
.And my BAD MOVIE freinds for-well-being freinds. You guys are the greatest!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 08:15:10 AM »

The sun, without it we'd be kind of screwed.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 08:32:18 AM »

Johann Sebastian Bach.  The man has always fascinated me.  The incredible volume of music he wrote, and the amount of genius level stuff he's got going on in those pieces, while still keeping it very interesting and emotional.  He grew up in a family of musicians, and worked at various churches throughout his life, creating the music to be used in the services.  He wrote it all using a quill pen, and even drawing the lines on the paper himself.  Working by the light of a few candles or a lantern, with a little wood stove for warmth.  He was married twice (first wife died if I remember correctly), had a whole pile of kids, taught school full time, getting up a 5 in the morning for church services, teaching all day, then returning to his wife and kids, and somehow finding the time to write all this stuff in the evening.  He was also quite religious and probably memorized more of the Bible than your average bishop knows.  He was an absolute master not only of playing the organ, but also of how they were constructed.  At that time, a pipe organ was the most complex piece of machinery that existed in the world.  He would travel to various places to perform a very thorough inspection of any new organ that had been built, making sure everything worked properly and giving a concert on it when he was done.  And as he traveled to these various places, he found time to rack up quite a bill at the local taverns   TeddyR

Quite the guy.  Not only a genius, but incredibly hard working as well, and apparently still able to find time for some enjoyment.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 08:36:12 AM »

My family on here [*HUG*] and my mom and Dad for putting up with all my nonsense since 1967.  Smile

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 10:06:16 AM »

TEACHING! Cheers

I love my job.  Even stuck at home with another sleet storm today, I miss my kids.  I am never happier than when I am rocking and rolling through the American Revolution or the Civil War with a class full of 8th graders, trying to make them understand how people who lived 200 years ago are still important to us today.  Every day I try to get the kids to learn something from me - and every day, I learn a little bit from them!  They keep me young inside.  How great it is to have work that I actually look forward to every day. TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  In Praise of... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.