Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:52:00 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The End is Near for Guitar Hero... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The End is Near for Guitar Hero...  (Read 6181 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: February 10, 2011, 08:28:26 AM »

and True Crime.  Well it's was good well it lasted.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1148687p1.html

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 01:08:52 AM »

I played one True Crime game and wasn't terribly impressed.  It was decently fun, but not great. 

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Guitar Hero, though.  It sounds more like Activision is putting it on hiatus.  I'm not too hurt by that one, either, since I suck at Guitar Heroes, but I do think it's a shame since so many folks (including my wife) enjoy it.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 01:47:41 AM »

Well, I suspect the decline in interest in music games is partly because Activision kind of saturated the market.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:48:10 PM »

Well, I suspect the decline in interest in music games is partly because Activision kind of saturated the market.
Yep, and plus they are kind of getting slim on the song pickins.  Pretty soon they would have tapped into Culture Club or something.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
venomx
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 12:39:53 AM »

Yeah I agree... saturation of "music sync games". Blaaa.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 08:24:25 AM »

I agree as well.  Guitar Hero was starting to go the Call of Duty route in which they release a game almost every year.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 10:23:13 AM »

Activision oversaturated the market with Guitar Hero, and now they've got no less than FOUR different studios working on various Call of Duty games. 

At least they learn from their mistakes   BounceGiggle

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 01:32:54 PM »

I agree as well.  Guitar Hero was starting to go the Call of Duty route in which they release a game almost every year.

Not that there's anything wrong with another Call Of Duty game, as long as they keep em' fresh and fairly realistic with regard to possible scenarios based on today's global hotspots, as well as some decent  new twists and curves to the gameplay.

I never played Guitar Hero though, since I'm a real musician somewhat decent at guitar and bass for some measure of years now.  And hey, if the game gets kids to pick up a real instrument and start the learning process, more power to Guitar Hero!

But ultimately I agree...Guitar Hero has to end sometime.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 01:43:25 PM »

Not that there's anything wrong with another Call Of Duty game, as long as they keep em' fresh and fairly realistic with regard to possible scenarios based on today's global hotspots, as well as some decent  new twists and curves to the gameplay.

I never played Guitar Hero though, since I'm a real musician somewhat decent at guitar and bass for some measure of years now.  And hey, if the game gets kids to pick up a real instrument and start the learning process, more power to Guitar Hero!

I fiddle around with my electric guitar, but I see Guitar Hero as more of a karaoke game. Y'know, you get a couple of people together, maybe have something to drink, and then have fun pretending to play in a band.
Couchtr26

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 10:59:09 PM »

I fiddle around with my electric guitar, but I see Guitar Hero as more of a karaoke game. Y'know, you get a couple of people together, maybe have something to drink, and then have fun pretending to play in a band.

Exactly, it is great for groups and doesn't require a lot to play.  Sadly after the first time you play, they don't change the formula much and if you are into obscure bands you rarely see music you like on the tracks.  Oh well, you can mod I guess. 

Ah, the good old days.
venomx
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 11:32:51 PM »

Did anyone here see the screens for Battlefield 3 yet? 1 word... AWESOME!

Battlefield 3 Specs (so far)

"Battlefield 3 will use the Frostbite 2 game engine.
Destroy entire buildings!
PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.
Real life weather. Day/Night
Vehicle warfare
16 types of jets and 8 helicopters.
Prone position will be included.
Medics can drag fallen teammates to saftey."

I can't wait.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:39:06 PM by Venomx » Logged
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 12:38:10 AM »

I love music games!

Yes, they are essentially karaoke with more toys, but I like them.

The Guitar Hero franchise has failed on several points. One, they continually release new titles (at full price) which don't really add anything. Music games can't be Madden.

The second is that their DLC is sort of broken. The Rock Band series succeeds because they release new songs every Tuesday. I don't need to buy a new game every six months, and I can pick and choose the new songs I want to download. With the addition of the Rock Band Network, where any band can put their songs up, the catalog is continually expanding. Also, all of the songs from each title can be played, so I can play all the old stuff and the new stuff with one game.

I would be sadder to see Guitar Hero go, but honestly I never put Guitar Hero in the console, whereas I play Rock Band all the time.

As for "real" music versus fake instruments, you can learn many basics of music by playing music games. Rhythm for one, and I've seen people grow by leaps and bounds in singing ability. Also, I never really considered picking up an actual guitar and learning it, but the new stringed guitar peripheral for Rock Band has me fairly excited. That's the one where you play an actual guitar along to the game.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »

I
fiddle around with my electric guitar, but I see Guitar Hero as more of a karaoke game. Y'know, you get a couple of people together, maybe have something to drink, and then have fun pretending to play in a band.

True, it's a fun game for parties and such, or just to release the inner rock star we all have inside of us. I have many fond memories of using various household things as guitars when I was younger, (tennis rackets, mop handles and such) and doing my own air guitar stuff.  Fun stuff,  I admit  Smile

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 02:31:51 PM »

Truth be told, Guitar Hero has gotten five main entries, five side entries, and two DS entries.  And the first game came out in 2005.  In other words, about two titles a year.  Really, it just got crazy in the past couple years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_hero#Oversaturation

Look at that chart.

Good job guys. 

And also, Rock Band did a WAY better job of handling content.  Just being able to keep your old songs from the previous entries is a great feature, and one that should be standard in music games. 
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The End is Near for Guitar Hero... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.