Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:52:12 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 628647 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1350 on: August 30, 2018, 03:28:03 PM »

Obviously you're using a time machine to post my jokes before I do.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1351 on: August 30, 2018, 03:29:26 PM »

Funny!
Also your R&S pic is deepening my psychoses.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pacman000
« Reply #1352 on: August 30, 2018, 03:31:58 PM »

Some facts to think on.

According to Consumer Reports they are generally slower than a cashier too.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #1353 on: August 30, 2018, 03:34:41 PM »

Funny!
Also your R&S pic is deepening my psychoses.

It's working!

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1354 on: September 05, 2018, 03:15:04 PM »

Continuing . . .
It's an one way avenue, people.

Not all is gloom and doom. Some of the aforementioned have been able to become a success in the U.S. These are, of course, (IMHO.)

Doctor Who
Harry Potter
Hello Kitty
Legos
Peppa the Pig

Peppa is the latest one to try to make a success in the U.S. So, it is included, and we'll see if it has better luck than the others.
There is some controversy as to whether Hello Kitty is a girl or a cat. Apparently, it was meant to be a girl with whiskers, but most people take it to be a cat.
And it is no surprise that most of these are from the U.K. For no matter how careful, one always loses something, when one translates something foreign into English. And the reverse is often true as well. Translate something from English into a foreign language, and you lose something as well.

Next time: from the pages of USA Today.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1355 on: September 05, 2018, 03:30:15 PM »

Funnily enough a lot of British programs when remade for the American market are an absolute disaster, like 'Red Dwarf'. I don't know how 'The Office' or 'Shameless' remakes went down though.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1356 on: September 05, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »

Funnily enough a lot of British programs when remade for the American market are an absolute disaster, like 'Red Dwarf'. I don't know how 'The Office' or 'Shameless' remakes went down though.

That's a good point. I think when it comes to TV comedies, there is just something unique about the British sense of humor, which we Americans cannot just recapture.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1357 on: September 06, 2018, 03:52:15 PM »

Data from skeletons unearthed shows that Britons were taller on average in the 10th century than in the 19th.

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #1358 on: September 06, 2018, 06:28:51 PM »

At 66+ ft below the surface,  it is almost impossible for a diver to fart due to water pressure.  There,  that's a thing you know now.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1359 on: September 11, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »

From the pages of USA Today (August 15, 2018)

How quickly things change. What I am going to post is less relevant now, since the award is not going to be offered next year, then it was last week. Still, I am going to post it, as it is an indication of what might have been. So here are the suggestions from USA Today for winner of the Most Popular Oscar over the previous decade.

2008 The Dark Knight
2009 Avatar
2010 Toy Story 3
2011 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 2
2012 The Avengers
2013 Gravity
2014 Guardians of the Galaxy
2015 Star Wars : the Force Awakens
2016 Dead pool
2017 Wonder Woman

I am deeply disappointed in the Academy's decision not to offer the award, if for only this reason.

Most Popular
2008-2017
Seen 4 Like 4

Best Picture
2008-2017
Seen 0 Like 0

Next time: and from the pages of the Atlantic Monthly
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1360 on: September 11, 2018, 11:19:20 AM »

Interesting. The Academy has always been out of step with the public.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1361 on: September 18, 2018, 03:08:16 PM »

And from the pages of The Atlantic Monthly (September, 2018 issue)

Each month The Atlantic Monthly asks the experts and its readers one question. This month's question.
Q: Whose untimely death would you most like to reverse?

One surprise, which we'll get to later. The bigger surprise is now much I agree with the answers. As for my choice, that is at the end of this post.

A: Abraham Lincoln
Amadeus Mozart
Anton Yelchin
Buddy Holly
Felix Mendelsohn
Franz Schubert
James Garfield
Jim Henson
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Robert F. Kennedy
Robert Johns
Walt Disney
Yitzhak Rabin

As for the surprise, not for who is included, but for who is not included.
John F. Kennedy and William McKinley
I don't think I need to say how different things would have been, if neither one had been assassinated.

As for my choice
Lady Jane Grey

Q: Would England have been wracked by another century and a half of religious conflict?
A: Maybe not. While he was an ardent Protestant to the end, her husband does not come as being anti-Catholic as his wife and future governments, and maybe he could have arranged a compromise on religious worship.
Q: Would England have seen better government?
A: Maybe. Even as a teenager, he was interested enough in good government to chair the Queen's council, when his wife still had a council. At least, the government would not have been any worst than it was under the overrated Elizabeth and the 2nd and 3rd raters that followed her.
Q: Would there have been a new and different dynasty?
A: Yes. The Grey-Dudley dynasty. Unlike Mary, who was too old to have children, they were young enough to have children, and unlike Elizabeth, who did not like the idea of being married, they enjoyed being married, or, at least one aspect of being married, as it is said that every night they could, they spent it sleeping in the same bed, except neither one was getting much sleep at night.

Next time: we'll think of something
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1362 on: September 18, 2018, 04:17:42 PM »

And from the pages of The Atlantic Monthly (September, 2018 issue)

Each month The Atlantic Monthly asks the experts and its readers one question. This month's question.
Q: Whose untimely death would you most like to reverse?

One surprise, which we'll get to later. The bigger surprise is now much I agree with the answers. As for my choice, that is at the end of this post.

A: Abraham Lincoln
Amadeus Mozart
Anton Yelchin
Buddy Holly
Felix Mendelsohn
Franz Schubert
James Garfield
Jim Henson
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Robert F. Kennedy
Robert Johns
Walt Disney
Yitzhak Rabin

As for the surprise, not for who is included, but for who is not included.
John F. Kennedy and William McKinley
I don't think I need to say how different things would have been, if neither one had been assassinated.

As for my choice
Lady Jane Grey

Q: Would England have been wracked by another century and a half of religious conflict?
A: Maybe not. While he was an ardent Protestant to the end, her husband does not come as being anti-Catholic as his wife and future governments, and maybe he could have arranged a compromise on religious worship.
Q: Would England have seen better government?
A: Maybe. Even as a teenager, he was interested enough in good government to chair the Queen's council, when his wife still had a council. At least, the government would not have been any worst than it was under the overrated Elizabeth and the 2nd and 3rd raters that followed her.
Q: Would there have been a new and different dynasty?
A: Yes. The Grey-Dudley dynasty. Unlike Mary, who was too old to have children, they were young enough to have children, and unlike Elizabeth, who did not like the idea of being married, they enjoyed being married, or, at least one aspect of being married, as it is said that every night they could, they spent it sleeping in the same bed, except neither one was getting much sleep at night.

Next time: we'll think of something
I once wrote a counterfactual essay on how things might have been different had Kennedy not been murdered that day. Wanna read it?

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1363 on: September 23, 2018, 01:36:13 PM »

Ye-es, ER, if you'll post it here at this website.

As for my next post, . . .
Just before the beginning of the last century, 2 men sat down with the casualty rolls of both the North and the South, in order to try to figure out how many casualties occurred during the American Civil War, and they came up with a figure of 640,000. And that figure held true to this decade, when a different man sat down with a computer, which was not available then, and with algorithms, which may or may not have been available then, and with the 1860 census and the 1870 census, and found what he thought was an undercount of some 17% or a casualty count of 750,000 during the American Civil War.

To be continued . . .
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1364 on: September 23, 2018, 02:05:40 PM »

Ye-es, ER, if you'll post it here at this website.

As for my next post, . . .
Just before the beginning of the last century, 2 men sat down with the casualty rolls of both the North and the South, in order to try to figure out how many casualties occurred during the American Civil War, and they came up with a figure of 640,000. And that figure held true to this decade, when a different man sat down with a computer, which was not available then, and with algorithms, which may or may not have been available then, and with the 1860 census and the 1870 census, and found what he thought was an undercount of some 17% or a casualty count of 750,000 during the American Civil War.

To be continued . . .

Okay it's long and kind of rough since I never re-wrote it beyond putting down my thoughts circa 2003, but here 'tis....

John Kennedy’s Presidency, November 1963-January 1969

In death John Kennedy entered iconic status, and from the time of his murder in November 1963 up to about the late-1980s, when his image became tarnished by stories of his philandering, most Americans tended to perceive Kennedy as elevated to a position among the greatest holders of our nation’s highest office.

When asked to cite those men whose service as President placed them above all others, Kennedy’s name invariably found its way onto that lofty list among such dignitaries as Washington, Lincoln, and the two Roosevelts.

Discerning individuals often questioned what among our thirty-fifth President’s achievements in the scant thirty-four months he was in office merited such distinction, but most seemed also to agree that John Fitzgerald Kennedy was at least a competent Chief Executive, and most again found themselves willing to concede that he gave every indication of growing more adept still the longer he occupied the Oval Office.

Given this widespread evaluation, let us begin with two presumptions: the first that Kennedy somehow survived the twenty-second of November 1963, and that he successfully attained re-election a year beyond that. With those variables taken as givens, speculation on what the next five years of the Kennedy Presidency might have given us may go something like this…

After returning home to the White House late on the night of November 22, 1963, a visibly shaken President took a few moments to joke with reporters about his brush with death. Knowing every media outlet the world over would be covering the biggest story since the end of World War Two, the President handled the events in Dallas in a way that garnered near-universal admiration. Even Premier Khrushchev, it would be imagined, might place a call to him, expressing gladness at Kennedy’s miraculous survival after shots fired from a nearby building struck his limousine, missing him by inches. Regaining his composure and making the most of a golden opportunity to court the public in the weeks that followed the “Dallas incident,” Kennedy was often in the spotlight, and polls showed his popularity at record-setting highs.

The man could do no wrong.

1964 came and went. Kennedy handily defeated his Republican opponent, winning forty-one states, and was carried into his second term on a wave of goodwill left over from Dallas the year before, and also due to the fact that the ensuing twelve months had seen a warming of relations with the USSR, an upswing in the US economy, and the arrival of yet another child in his and Jackie’s marriage. The Camelot image was never stronger than it was going into 1965.

Then, the 1960s truly began…

Kennedy, secretly dealing with health issues unknown to the public and involved with several women, found himself in a clandestine feud with FBI Director Hoover, who feared that the Negro Civil Rights Movement in the Deep South and elsewhere had Marxist roots detrimental to the nation. He pressured Kennedy to exercise more restraint in his public support of the cause.

Likewise Kennedy’s Vice President, Lyndon Johnson, virulently desirous of the nomination in 1968, also spoke with Kennedy about the effect the administration’s blank check backing of Martin Luther King might have on white southern voters in the coming mid-term elections.

Kennedy, however, feeling himself invulnerable and very much like a king, paid scant heed to these men and seemed to dare Hoover to make a move against him. Hoover, in possession of blackmailing materials, would never quite act against the President but the tensions were there, and all the while the Civil Rights Movement continued to make headlines and exert a divisive influence on much of America.

Meanwhile across the Pacific in a small southeast Asian nation few Americans could pronounce, Kennedy, who reveled in playing king of his court, was in love with his “pet war” in Vietnam, which was not actually going as well as he’d hoped. Deprived the opportunity to oversee what would have been a popular invasion of Marxist Cuba, Kennedy instead made do with what had begun early in his first term as an almost private conflict in former Indochina which was by his second term drawing in more and more Americans and resulting in more US deaths.

Having formed an elite corps of special forces called the Green Berets, and having actually designed this branch’s uniforms himself, Kennedy had once enjoyed his daily briefings regarding the goings on in that theater of operations as his crack teams of commandos joined regular army “advisors” in bringing havoc to Communist forces. But by 1966, Vietnam was indeed a very big deal for Kennedy and whatsmore it was suddenly competing with the Civil Rights Movement as a lead story on evening news broadcasts.

While still popular with the public, various factors were slowly eroding the image that JFK could do no wrong. People in the south and even elsewhere in the US questioned exactly how far blacks actually ought to come forward, and exactly how far the President was willing to accommodate them. Republicans and conservative Democrats exploited these concerns with some success. Kennedy’s signing of the Civil Rights Act, one very similar to that brought into law under the Johnson administration in our own time, alienated some and drew praise from others, but by its controversial nature alone served to cool much of the one-time universal acclaim Kennedy enjoyed post-Dallas with most Americans privately being unsure exactly how they felt about the act itself.

And then more and more there was the Vietnam question. Yes, polls showed three Americans in four backed US presence in Vietnam, but questions were arising in that direction. How many troops were going to be needed, how long were Americans going to be there, and why was progress toward (a surely inevitable) victory coming so slowly after five years? Was it true a draft was actually being considered?

Kennedy disliked controversy and loved popularity. By mid-1966, with Republicans showing signs of gaining seats in Congress for the first time since the ‘50s, party advisors began to ask Kennedy hard questions. What about Vietnam, where twenty Americans were dying every week? What about Martin Luther King and his effect of cooling support among Dixiecrats in the party’s southern heartland? Some were calling Kennedy a “n****r lover” and accusing him of going much too far in his concessions to blacks. Mightn’t a cooling off or at least a popular distraction be in order? Kennedy, ever charming, though increasingly dictatorial within his party, began to acquire an “us and them” mentality, and rather than placating critics, he shielded himself among sycophants.

“Of course you’re right, Mr. President. Of course you are, Jack.” These were words Kennedy relished hearing.

The final years of the Kennedy Presidency were marked by controversy. Vietnam escalated. Kennedy, never seriously considering a pullout, signed a draft into law among outcries from more than just voters from the far left. The President subtly distanced himself from the leadership of the Civil Rights Movement; having given them legislation that brought many of their goals to reality, he would privately speak of having “done all I can for them” and would in fact not meet with Martin Luther King again as he once so often had.

King’s murder in 1968 genuinely grieved Kennedy, particularly in light of his own brush with assassination, but privately the political animal in Kennedy wondered if somehow it wasn’t for the best that King would doubtlessly go from controversial revolutionary to martyr. His eloquent eulogy at Dr. King’s funeral was re-broadcast around the world and would often be quoted in years to come, joining his first inaugural speech as among the great works of his time in office.

As all this was happening and the President’s poll numbers gradually but never drastically fell, and the Cold War went on unabated. If there were no great flare-ups between East and West, then there was also scant progress made toward bettering world relations. Khrushchev was complacently in control of his sphere of influence and Kennedy his. The fear of nuclear holocaust dropped a notch from its 1950s heights, and even the arms race marginally cooled off.

Still Kennedy had setbacks in other areas: the Peace Corps withered on the vine and was written out of the budget by 1967; the Republicans continued to make gains in Congress and in national polls; most troublesome, in early 1967 Kennedy’s health gave the nation a scare, and he was hospitalized for several days. Spinning his infirmities as “war injuries” the administration went on with barely a misstep but in fact Kennedy was addicted to several drugs, including by then both several pain killers and amphetamines.

The stress of an escalating and stalemated war in Vietnam and the growing outcry against US presence there weighted on Kennedy. To his brothers he remarked that part of him was looking forward to a return to private life. Barely on speaking terms with his Vice President, his adulteries having somewhat alienated his longsuffering wife, his health more precarious than the public was ever allowed to know, and often in unabated pain, the Kennedy of 1968 was no longer the “gay young Senator” of 1960, and it showed.

One bright spot in Kennedy’s life was the American space program, which continued to outpace that of the USSR, and was popular with American public. Kennedy loved hosting Mercury and later astronauts at the White House, and still funded a push to reach the moon before the decade’s end. In fact some would say that by the time of elections that fall---an election in which Republican Richard Nixon defeated Vice President Johnson in a close contest---the space program was the last thing the harried Kennedy had to boast about, except for his three photogenic children.

Departing office in January 1969 with an approval rating in the low-fifties, down from a high of over ninety-percent in December 1963, Kennedy left his successor the bloodbath in former Indochina, where Americans had been carpet bombing North Vietnamese, Laotian, and Cambodian cities for some two years. He left behind a public still divided by the struggles for racial equality and marred by urban riots most voters openly linked to that movement. He left behind an economy far less stable than it had been when Kennedy himself assumed high office after Eisenhower eight years before. He left behind a nation stripped of a portion of its post-1945 confidence.

Far from a legend, no longer even the scion of anachronistic Camelot, Kennedy was viewed as a politician, and not a universally admired one at that. Far older than a mere eight years accounted for, often in pain, frequently under the influence of drugs, Kennedy relocated to New York City, penned his memoirs, entertained lavishly and lived extravagantly through the remaining nine years of his life. His wife never divorced him, but in reality their marriage had long since ended. Only his death from a heart attack in the fall of 1978 saved him from the stories that were to come: stories of his promiscuity, his drug use, his alleged corruption, his egomania. Kennedy was buried in a dignified family plot, near his father, not at Arlington National Cemetery under an eternal flame. In time a few schools and public projects bore his name, mostly in Massachusetts and those parts of the south heavily populated by blacks, but these were a mere fraction of those so dedicated in our reality where JFK died in 1963.

In 2008 Kennedy would not be an icon but rather a past President with a mixed legacy: a legacy of divisiveness but also of charm. Remembered for Vietnam, the Bay of Pigs, for continuing the Cold War, but also for the Civil Rights Act, for NASA, for the glamour of Camelot, Kennedy would be ranked by political scientists as a slightly above average leader, coming somewhere in the middle of the pack amid such figures as Grover Cleveland and James Monroe.

Historians on the attack would charge Kennedy with authoring the beginning of the end of the traditional Democratic Party, with alienating many white Democrats, with failing to fulfill his visionary hopes of 1960, with starting the much-hated Vietnam War (which did not end in a US victory), and with opening the door for Republican domination of the Deep South that came in the 1980s and thereafter.

But in the minds of the average American alive during his first administration, these things would be forgotten, for above all else John F. Kennedy would be recalled for having survived a frighteningly near assassination attempt on November 22, 1963.

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.