Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:51:04 AM
712926 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 628763 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #420 on: January 27, 2013, 08:46:44 AM »

The first testicular guard, the 'cup', was used in hockey in 1874.
The first helmet was used in 1974.

It only took 100 years for men to realize that their brain is important...too.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #421 on: January 27, 2013, 09:07:36 AM »

To be fair, those are hockey players you're talking about  TongueOut

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #422 on: January 27, 2013, 09:25:56 AM »

To be fair, those are hockey players you're talking about  TongueOut

BounceGiggle Chicken-or-the-egg: Do they play hockey because they are that way or are they that way because they play hockey?  Besides...doesn't everyone play hockey?  Buggedout  ( <- that's culture shock being manifested there)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:14:13 PM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #423 on: January 27, 2013, 09:38:56 AM »

When John Sutter discovered gold at his mill site near Sacramento, CA in 1847, the U.S. Army officer who first viewed the samples and tested them for purity was none other than William T. Sherman.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #424 on: February 07, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »

In France it is punishable by up to ten years in prison for a winemaker to deliberately misrepresent the alcohol content of a bottle of wine. They take this so seriously that a government official must visit each vineyard and certify the amount of alcohol in wine to within hundreds of a percentage point. The officials who do the certification must go through one of the most rigorous bonding processes in French law, more rigorous than that of a judge, doctor, or police officer. To attempt to bribe one or these officials is punishable by jail time roughly on the same level as that given to housebreakers.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #425 on: February 19, 2013, 10:24:11 AM »

Artificial raspberry flavor is made from the anal glands of beavers.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #426 on: February 19, 2013, 10:37:24 AM »

I really hate China now, for giving the biggest middle finger to a treaty between China and Korea that states if the Koreans seek Asylum, then they should be allowed into the Asylum.

yeah no.
Couchtr26

« Reply #427 on: February 19, 2013, 11:41:14 PM »

"Harlequin ichthyosis is a severe genetic disorder that mainly affects the skin. Infants with this condition are born with very hard, thick skin covering most of their bodies. The skin forms large, diamond-shaped plates that are separated by deep cracks (fissures). These skin abnormalities affect the shape of the eyelids, nose, mouth, and ears, and limit movement of the arms and legs. Restricted movement of the chest can lead to breathing difficulties and respiratory failure.

The skin normally forms a protective barrier between the body and its surrounding environment. The skin abnormalities associated with harlequin ichthyosis disrupt this barrier, making it more difficult for affected infants to control water loss, regulate their body temperature, and fight infections. Infants with harlequin ichthyosis often experience an excessive loss of fluids (dehydration) and develop life-threatening infections in the first few weeks of life. It used to be very rare for affected infants to survive the newborn period. However, with intensive medical support and improved treatment, people with this disorder now have a better chance of living into childhood and adolescence."
http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/harlequin-ichthyosis

The Harlequin Fetus disease disturbs me the most out of all of the things that disturbs me.

I am NOT posting an image of a victim of this rare disease. It's f**ked up man, really f**ked up.

I was introduced to it through Malady of the Month, used to read Morbid Fact du Jour quite a bit.  Avoid reading about anencephaly, it is also rather unfortunate. 

Ah, the good old days.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #428 on: February 21, 2013, 05:44:32 PM »

The color red in most lipsticks comes from crushing up insects known as cochineals.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #429 on: February 21, 2013, 08:44:06 PM »

The color red in most lipsticks comes from crushing up insects known as cochineals.

Same thing with Red 40 in food and drinks.

yeah no.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #430 on: February 22, 2013, 09:26:47 AM »

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakpikimaunahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu is the world's longest place-name.

yeah no.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #431 on: February 22, 2013, 09:31:27 AM »

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakpikimaunahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu is the world's longest place-name.

It was until they founded East Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakpikimaunahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #432 on: February 22, 2013, 05:37:25 PM »

The Gaelic word for the concept of deja vu is lang'ee.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #433 on: February 23, 2013, 06:35:43 PM »

"Shotgun" marriages. With us since the 16th century.

While there is not historical proof of such, it seems like that William Shakespeare was involved in one, since he married at the relatively young age of 18. Then, like now, most 18-year-olds were not considered old enough to support a wife and family at that age.

That is odd enough, but even odder is that his wife, Anne Hathaway, was believed to be his senior by 8 or 9 years, when they were married in 1582. Now, that would raise eyebrows, if not get the law after the woman, and then, while that age difference would not be that great if the bride was 18 and the groom was 26 or 27, but to have a teenage groom marry a woman that much older . . . ?

But, what is oddest is that their daugher, Susanna, was born only 6 months after the wedding. Either the girl was born 3 months prematurely, which is doubtful, for she would not have survived, being born that early, or Will and Anne were going hot and heavy at least 3 months before their marriage.

Which makes me wonder, if Shakespeare did not identify to some extent with Romeo from Shakespeare's play "Romeo and Juliet," as Romeo is believed to have married Juliet, when he was still in his teens.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #434 on: March 04, 2013, 03:24:36 PM »

Fact: There is hardly a human sexual activity that is not mimiced by other animals.

Teenage esxploration
dolphins
Some sexually immature male dolphins will form sexual partnerships until such time they become sexually mature. Whereupon, they'll start chasing girl dolphins.

Stepparenting
flamingos
Sometimes when a female dolphin rejects one of her eggs, it'll be taken away from her and sometimes given to two male flamingos who live together. Who'll then hatch the egg and raise the chick just as if it was their own chick.

Situational homosexuality
seagulls
Sometimes when there is a shortage of male seagulls, two female seagulls we'll take up living together. With one acting as the male in the partnership, and one acting as the female in the partnership.

Sexual pleasure
bonobos
About 75% of the sex acts performed by bonobos in the wild are not for procreation, but for the simple reason that they enjoy having sex with each other.

Raping
chimps
Male chimps in the wild have been noted raping other male chimps that were smaller and weaker.

Lesbianism
Japanese macaques
Female Japanese macaques have been seen in the wild sexually pleasuring each other.

Homosexuality
ostriches
While alot of same sex is due to the shortage of one opposite sex or the other, some ostriches are apparently born gay. Even when there is a surplus of female ostriches, they'll only court other male ostriches.

Dominance-submission
deer
Sometimes an older buck will take an younger buck under its wing. Whereupon, the younger submissive buck will allow himself to be mounted by the older dominant buck.

Bisexuality
bonobos
Apparently, most bonobos are bisexual in nature.

"Tales of the Weird: Unbelievable True Stories" from the "National Geographic" website and other sources.

Next time: "Yo, Mama. There were some tough mamas back in the days of yore."
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.