Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:54:35 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 631290 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #840 on: March 27, 2014, 08:06:30 AM »

A breakthrough in machine learning came by way of Google Brain, which consisted of 1,000 servers (16,000 CPU cores) simulating a model of the brain with a billion synapses (connections). Google Brain was trained using ten million 200x200 images unsupervised in three days. At the end, Google Brain revealed that there are two types of images that show up on the Internet quite frequently: faces and cats.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #841 on: March 31, 2014, 10:10:15 PM »

The first person to be Canonized by The Church was NOT El Blasto The Great.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #842 on: April 01, 2014, 04:40:22 PM »

Sandra Harmon, second wife of Larry Harmon (aka Bozo The Clown) wrote a book about Harmon's unfaithfulness and his sex addiction, and his pathological lies. The book is entitled "Sleeping With Bozo And Other Clowns".  All you wanted to know about the man behind the red nose but were afraid to ask  BounceGiggle
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #843 on: April 06, 2014, 02:33:38 PM »

Did you take a sea cruise last year? 20,000,000 of your fellow Americans did, including myself. And if you are interested in taking a sea cruise this year or next year, here is a list of the score or more of the cruise lines that sail out of the U.S. ports, and the year they began operations.

1840 Cunard
1872 Holland America
1950 Costa
1964 ACCL
1965 Princess
1966 Norwegian
1969 Royal Caribbean
1972 Carnival
1986 Cruise West
1986 Windstar
1987 Seabourn
1989 Celebrity
1990 Crystal
1990 RSCC
1991 Star Clippers
1994 Silver Sea
1995 MSC
1998 Disney
And "Frozen" has become so popular, that beginning next year or 2015, Disney Cruise Lines will begin cruises of the Norwegian fjords or the land that inspired the look of "Frozen." With embarkation and disembarkation in Copenhagen, Denmark. No doubt Anna and Elsa will put in appearances, so you'll have two choices: wait 4 hours to meet them on board ship or wait 4 hours to meet them at Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World.

2003 Oceania
2006 Azamara

Total = 867 years of service or an average of 43 years for each cruise line. More or less.

Next time: 29 and 25

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #844 on: April 06, 2014, 11:31:54 PM »

Let's talk about heroin. 

Heroin was created as a painkiller.  It was in fact named for it's "heroic" ability to relieve pain.  Originally it was sold over the counter as a cough remedy.  The same company that produced it also made aspirin, which required a prescription. 

Morphine and heroin were both used as a "cure" for alcoholism at one point.  Heroin was also belived to be a cure for morphine addiction.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #845 on: April 07, 2014, 11:49:55 AM »

Bill Cosby has a lifetime contract with the Harlem Globetrotters.  He gets paid a $1.05 a year.  Magic Johnson, who has a similar contract only get a dollar. 

Also, Henry Kissinger, Bob Hope, Whoopi Goldberg, Nelson Mandela, and Pope John Paul II are all honorary Harlem Globetrotters. 

Sadly, I don't think they ever played an actual game. 
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #846 on: April 07, 2014, 05:30:27 PM »

Morphine and heroin were both used as a "cure" for alcoholism at one point.  Heroin was also belived to be a cure for morphine addiction.

Heroin is a cure for morphine addiction, in the same way methadone is a cure for heroin addiction.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #847 on: April 07, 2014, 10:49:43 PM »

The Twilight Zone episode, “The Last Night of a Jockey” (1963) was written specifically for Mickey Rooney as a one-man performance.  He played a jockey named Grady who has been banned from racing for life for doping horses, then gets a lesson in “careful what you wish for.”

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #848 on: April 08, 2014, 03:25:16 PM »

The Twilight Zone episode, “The Last Night of a Jockey” (1963) was written specifically for Mickey Rooney as a one-man performance.  He played a jockey named Grady who has been banned from racing for life for doping horses, then gets a lesson in “careful what you wish for.”

I would assume that it was written for Rooney because of his relatively small frame as that's a major requirement for a horse racer? Just curious.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #849 on: April 09, 2014, 10:03:38 AM »

Fifteen years ago today, this office where I am now sitting was in a certified disaster area, after an F-4 tornado hit, killing four people, injuring fifty, and leveling two-hundred homes and businesses.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:09:14 AM by ER » Logged

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #850 on: April 14, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »

29 and 25

29 or the percentage of girls that are abused by their boyfriends.
25 or the percentage of boys that are abused by their girlfriends.

Almost the same percentage. Though, there are two differences between the two. The abuse of girls is mostly sexual abuse, while the abuse of boys is mostly physical abuse. And the abuse of girls is more likely to send them to the hospital, then the abuse of boys. Still . . .

Shortly, after this I saw a book on abusive relationships among teens, and it was all about girls being abused. Not one word about boys being abused, as if boys were never abused. I had another problem with the book, even forgetting that gay youth are also abused. All the information was about heterosexual girls. Nothing at all about girls who are in a lesbian relationship. Lesbians may or may not be more immune to abuse than their heterosexual sisters, but they are not entirely immune from being abused in a relationship.

Next time: Nice to see that some things never change, as the double standard continues to run rampant in some ways.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #851 on: April 14, 2014, 10:01:44 PM »

149 years ago, minus about an hour, John Wilkes Booth pulled the trigger on a single shot Derringer and murdered the President of the United States.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #852 on: April 14, 2014, 10:25:33 PM »

The Waffle Taco from Taco Bell isn't anything too special. It's edible, but nothing to get crazy about. Trust me, after trying ti twice, the second time around seemed to suck more.

yeah no.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #853 on: April 17, 2014, 12:44:28 PM »

Even the Mythbusters couldn't devise a way to clean me undies.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Derelict Coin-op
Intermittantly functional lover of fine quarters
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #854 on: April 20, 2014, 01:05:05 AM »

Fun Fact: Turtles can breathe through their butt.

...the more you know!

This machine is temporarily out of order.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.