Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:19:13 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 631321 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #870 on: May 27, 2014, 07:57:03 PM »

In Japan in the 1980s a popular product for children was (translated as) "Whacky Pee." Apparently when a child swallowed a Whacky Pee tablet, which looked like the little Easter egg dye pellets we see each spring, his urine would temporarily be turned to one of a rainbow of pre-selected colors, from orange to blue, green to purple. The original intent of the product was for medical use, but it soon took off when introduced in toy stores in 1984.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
claws
« Reply #871 on: June 01, 2014, 06:30:24 AM »

Since Europeans are not familiar with the flavor Cool Ranch, Frito-Lay made a name change when they launched Doritos Cool Ranch in Europe. In some parts of Europe they are known as Cool Original (UK), or Cool American (Germany).

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #872 on: June 02, 2014, 07:23:57 AM »

Since Europeans are not familiar with the flavor Cool Ranch, Frito-Lay made a name change when they launched Doritos Cool Ranch in Europe. In some parts of Europe they are known as Cool Original (UK), or Cool American (Germany).

And, at one time, one of the Three Stooges held 51% stock in the company that makes this great snack, and they were thinking of calling them "Curly Joe Doritos"....   Twirling
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #873 on: June 02, 2014, 07:52:44 AM »

In Japan in the 1980s a popular product for children was (translated as) "Whacky Pee." Apparently when a child swallowed a Whacky Pee tablet, which looked like the little Easter egg dye pellets we see each spring, his urine would temporarily be turned to one of a rainbow of pre-selected colors, from orange to blue, green to purple. The original intent of the product was for medical use, but it soon took off when introduced in toy stores in 1984.
On St. Patrick's day, Yankee adults get the green effect with green beer.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #874 on: June 03, 2014, 01:09:20 PM »

J.K. Rowling says if Voldemort saw a boggart, it would take the shape of his dead body, since his own death was Voldemort's greatest fear.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #875 on: June 03, 2014, 01:32:38 PM »

In 1837, the Navy of the Republic of Texas claimed the Island of Cozumel for the Republic.

WHY DID WE GIVE IT BACK???

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #876 on: June 06, 2014, 10:24:45 AM »

Every freedom we hold dear, each right we enjoy as citizens of democracies, can be traced back to the bravery and sacrifices made by the veterans of World War Two who fought to protect them, especially those men who stormed the beaches of Normandy this day seventy years ago. Across time, from whatever Allied nation they came from, I thank them one and all for everything their sacrifices bestowed upon us.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #877 on: June 07, 2014, 04:46:55 PM »

Would you do this, if it meant your demise?

I know some of us have already lost friends and family to violence. Other of us will die violently in the future, but the statistics are so good, at least here in the U.S., if I am correct, only about 3% of Americans will die a violent death from all causes.

It is harder to figure out how many people in the past died violently, but my best guesstimate is somewhere between 5% and 10%. Higher than now, but still not as high as . . .

Who Was Who in World Explorers
(Carl Waldset, editor)

A brief, if detailed, bio of 830 different explorers of the past from the time of the Ancient Phoenicians to the 20th century. It is detailed enough to give how each explorer died, if known.

83 (10%) never returned from their last exploration.
40 (05%) later died in battle
25 (03%) were later murdered
15 (02%) later disappeared and were never seen again
09 (01%) were later executed
09 (01%) were later mortally wounded
08 (01%) later committed suicide
14 (02%) later died violently from some other cause

That's 203 out of 830 or about 25%. When a figure gets to be that high, I have to think explorers must have had some secret death wish that set them off exploring.

People of the past lacked for many things, including some times a brain, but they never lacked for courage.

Next time: The Twenty
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #878 on: June 12, 2014, 01:03:56 PM »

According to Luann Platter, the changing table at Whataburger is strong enough to hold one person, but not two.

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #879 on: June 12, 2014, 02:22:15 PM »

Britney Spears and Kevin Federline were thinking of naming one of their kids after where he was conceived, but there wasn't enough room to put "Taco Bell, Men's Room Floor" on the birth certificate.   Twirling
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #880 on: June 14, 2014, 04:47:23 PM »

Christopher Lee, famed British horror legend, was among thousands who traveled to Finland to fight against the Russians in the Winter War of 1939.  I can only wonder how many of his comrades saw him later on TV and went "Hey, that guy was in combat with me back in 1939!".   Very interesting fact.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #881 on: June 15, 2014, 09:45:54 PM »

Christopher Lee, famed British horror legend, was among thousands who traveled to Finland to fight against the Russians in the Winter War of 1939.  I can only wonder how many of his comrades saw him later on TV and went "Hey, that guy was in combat with me back in 1939!".   Very interesting fact.
There's a nice story from the commentary of Lord of the Rings on that note. 

From Peter Jackson’s DVD commentary: “When I was shooting the stabbing shot with Christopher, as a director would, I was explaining to him what he should do… And he says, ‘Peter, have you ever heard the sound a man makes when he’s stabbed in the back?’ And I said, ‘Um, no.’ And he says ‘Well, I have, and I know what to do.’”

Another good one, one time he was pressed in an interview about his SAS past.  Lee leaned forward and whispered: “Can you keep a secret?”

The interviewer cried out "Yes!" with excitement.

"So can I." replied a smiling Lee, sitting back in his chair.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #882 on: June 16, 2014, 05:44:33 PM »

Last year, 8,000,000 of your fellow Americans took a cruise. If anyone is interested in taking a cruise this year, or sometime in the future, here are the 20, and the year that they began operation, cruise lines that sail out of the U.S.

1840 Cunard
1872 Holland America
1950 Costa
1964 ACCL
1965 Princess
1966 Norwegian Cruise Line
1969 Royal Caribbean
1972 Carnival
1986 Cruise West
1986 Windstar
1987 Seabourn
1989 Celebrity
1990 Crystal
1990 RSSL
1991 Star Clippers
1994 Silver Sea
1995 MSC
1998 Disney
2003 Oceania
2006 Azamara

Total years experience 864
Average years experience 43

Next time: almost everyone's favorite topic . . . food
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #883 on: June 17, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »

The 1965 Toho oddity Frankenstein Conquers The Worldwas the first full American and Japanese film collaboration ever. It was released in Japan on August 8, 1965, two days after the commemoration of Hiroshima.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #884 on: June 17, 2014, 11:20:47 AM »

Mickey Rooney has the longest career acting regularly in motion pictures. His first credit came at the age of 6 in the 1926 short "Not to Be Trusted," and he continued acting in movies until his death in 2014, a record 88 years.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.