Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:15:43 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 631286 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #885 on: June 18, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »

Islam permits lying, cheating, stealing, killing, drinking alcohol and even praying to a god other than Allah, if it is done by one of the faithful in order to further the expansion of Islam. This dispensation is known as Al Taquia.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #886 on: June 18, 2014, 05:05:37 PM »

On the 15-day Trans-Canal Cruise on Disney Cruise Line or from Florida to California with stops in the Caribbean, Columbia, and Mexico, the line will make use of 13 different dinner menus and offer . . .

50 different appetizers
24 different soups
24 different salads
63 different entrees
60 different desserts*
57 different vegetarian dishes**

*And that does not include sugar-free desserts of which 2 or 3 are offered each day at dinner, but it does include 14 different Sundaes. One of which is offered each day at dinner. And for dinner on the 15th day, Baked Alaska is offered in lieu of a Sundae.

**A vegetarian dish can include a soup, a salad, or an entree.

That may seem like a long time, and it is for DCL, but not for other lines which offer a world cruse, which can last from 82 days to 162 days and averages 114 days. And with dinner menus being repeated only once or maybe twice, one is looking at 28 to 57 different menus.

As for its competitor, Carnival Cruise Line . . .

a typical week cruise on a typical ship will purchase and consume 475,250 shrimp, 108,140 pounds of chicken, and 51, 175 pounds of beef. And a typical passenger will gain 8 pounds during that week.

Carnival Cruise Line, in toto, on all its ships, uses so much beef, that there is a farm/ranch in Iowa, that does nothing but raise beef cattle for CCL.

Next time: It's DC vs. Marvel in 14 rounds of rock 'em, sock 'em action.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #887 on: June 18, 2014, 07:40:53 PM »

Christopher Lee, famed British horror legend, was among thousands who
traveled to Finland to fight against the Russians in the Winter War of
1939.  I can only wonder how many of his comrades saw him later on
TV and went "Hey, that guy was in combat with me back in
1939!".   Very interesting fact.

That is very interesting: I have Sir Christopher's autobiography LORD OF
MISRULE and he doesn't mention that at all. He was in Paris in 1939 and left before the Nazis invaded and he served in the RAF in Rhodesia, North Africa and Italy during WW2.  Smile
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 12:43:41 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #888 on: June 19, 2014, 07:54:53 AM »

Mickey Rooney has the longest career acting regularly in motion pictures. His first credit came at the age of 6 in the 1926 short "Not to Be Trusted," and he continued acting in movies until his death in 2014, a record 88 years.

WOW!   Buggedout
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #889 on: June 19, 2014, 12:21:12 PM »

Neil deGrasse Tyson was offered a wrestling scholarship after high school. To earn money during graduate school he once considered performing as an exotic dancer at a club that featured men wearing lighter fluid soaked jock straps set ablaze gyrating their hips to "Great Balls of Fire." He is a wine collector almost as noted within that community as he is within the science community. He says he thinks about God as little as he possibly can, and once confronted a heckler by telling him, "I can go on talking for hours and have facts to support everything I say. Can you?" The heckler could not. deGrasse Tyson can bench press 300 pounds, took boxing lessons from George Foreman, and says his favorite sandwich is his own secret invention named "the Ty-wich." However he refuses to disclose what goes on a Ty-wich.

I think he's mostly a pretty cool guy.

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #890 on: June 21, 2014, 07:30:35 AM »

Islam permits lying, cheating, stealing, killing, drinking alcohol and even praying to a god other than Allah, if it is done by one of the faithful in order to further the expansion of Islam. This dispensation is known as Al Taquia.

So this intentional activity appears to be for the purpose of having that one personthat exemplifies everything Islam is against so that the faithful can remind themselves not to be like this person? Sounds like "don't let this happen to you".  Interesting...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #891 on: June 21, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »

So this intentional activity appears to be for the purpose of having that one personthat exemplifies everything Islam is against so that the faithful can remind themselves not to be like this person? Sounds like "don't let this happen to you".  Interesting...

According to Wikipedia, this dispensation was more intended for the protection of Muslims who were forcibly converted to Christianity, so that they could pretend to convert without being forced to face torture or exile.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #892 on: June 21, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »

So this intentional activity appears to be for the purpose of having that one personthat exemplifies everything Islam is against so that the faithful can remind themselves not to be like this person? Sounds like "don't let this happen to you".  Interesting...

Taquia is most frequently invoked today by Islamist subversives who live among western populations while they await orders to carry out violence in the name of Allah. Most famously Khalid Sheikh Mohammed urged a mindset of Taquia on the men who carried out the mass murders of September 11, 2001, after having spent several years living in American and German society passing themselves off as peaceful pro-western moderates even as they planned large-scale killings. Basically it is an "ends justify the means" sort of doctrine.

VenomX73

« Reply #893 on: June 21, 2014, 03:24:36 PM »

Three-hundred-seventeen Dodge Chargers were used in filming "The Dukes of Hazard" TV show.
On average, 3 cars were wrecked during the filming of each episode

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #894 on: June 25, 2014, 08:07:45 AM »

Most famously Khalid Sheikh Mohammed urged a mindset of Taquia on the men who carried out the mass murders of September 11, 2001, after having spent several years living in American and German society passing themselves off as peaceful pro-western moderates even as they planned large-scale killings.

[Expletive deleted] bastards, hiding behind their faith  Hatred

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #895 on: June 25, 2014, 09:48:57 AM »

So this intentional activity appears to be for the purpose of having that one personthat exemplifies everything Islam is against so that the faithful can remind themselves not to be like this person? Sounds like "don't let this happen to you".  Interesting...

Taquia is most frequently invoked today by Islamist subversives who live among western populations while they await orders to carry out violence in the name of Allah. Most famously Khalid Sheikh Mohammed urged a mindset of Taquia on the men who carried out the mass murders of September 11, 2001, after having spent several years living in American and German society passing themselves off as peaceful pro-western moderates even as they planned large-scale killings. Basically it is an "ends justify the means" sort of doctrine.

Making the sense that it does now after more reading up on it, it also seems as if it's a way to keep in character too, being that they're violent individuals. They have to stay that way to avoid getting soft or developing human feelings towards the culture they live in.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #896 on: June 25, 2014, 09:51:34 AM »

Most famously Khalid Sheikh Mohammed urged a mindset of Taquia on the men who carried out the mass murders of September 11, 2001, after having spent several years living in American and German society passing themselves off as peaceful pro-western moderates even as they planned large-scale killings.

[Expletive deleted] bastards, hiding behind their faith  Hatred

Those dirty extremists...you try rubbing, scrubbing, bombing and shooting and still you've got "Ring Around The Burqa".....   (a play on an old TV commercial for a famous laundry detergent.)    BounceGiggle
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #897 on: June 25, 2014, 04:05:06 PM »

Who makes the best films?
D.C. or Marvel?
That is too subjective, which I try to stay away from, so let me argue, who can best promote their product across multipromotional platforms? Which is also subjective, but more objective than the other question?
D.C. and Warner Bros. or Marvel and Walt Disney?                       
With the understanding that both Sony Universal NBC and 21st Century Fox have title to some of the Marvel characters, but are excluded from this list, which we'll treat as a 14-round boxing match of Warner Bros. vs. Walt Disney.

Round 1
domestic TV
And here and in the next round, we are not talking about producers and distributors, but channels and networks.

Warner Bros.: 50% of CW.
Walt Disney: ABC, ABC Family, the Disney Channel, Disney Junior for pre-schoolers, and Disney XD for tween boys + 80% of ESPN, 50% of A&E, and 32% of Hulu.

We'll give this one to Walt Disney.

Round 2
international TV

Warner Bros.: None
Walt Disney: channels and/or networks in almost 3 dozen specific foreign countries around the world, including South Africa (Ithere you go Trevor) + Asia, Latin America, and the Mid East (in both Arabic and English.)

Round 3
tours

Walt Disney: you want to see the sites in Norway that inspired "Frozen." They offer a tour. You want to see the sites in Scotland that inspired "Brave." They offer a tour. Thus, during the Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend at Disneyland, they offer a special tour, that also includes many of the Disney sites in southern California (including the archives, the El Capitan Theater,  Imagineering building, the Jim Henson Studios, the Walt Disney Studios, etc.)

We'll give this one to Walt Disney

Round 4
Theme parks

Warner Bros.: Has recently gained a theme park footprint in conjunction with 6 Flags Amusement Parks, where a section of the park has been given over to the Warner Bros. characters, including a Superman roller coaster.
Walt Disney: meet 'n' greets with the Marvel characters, including Captain America, Thor, etc.

We'll call this one a tie.

Round 5
Sports

Walt Disney: the Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World. The last one at Walt Disney World sold out in 2 weeks and attracted 50,000 runners and 50,000 more spectators.

Round 6
Shows

Walt Disney: possible Broadway and ice shows, but nothing as of yet.

We'll call this one a tie.

Round 7
Ships

Walt Disney: Disney Cruise Line. Indeed an area in the children's section has been rethemed to reflect the Marvel characters.

Next time: Rounds 8 to 14 and a finish.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #898 on: June 25, 2014, 10:07:02 PM »

Thirteen of the last seventeen winners of the National Spelling Bee have been Indian-Americans.

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #899 on: June 25, 2014, 11:30:58 PM »

The galaxies we can observe contain 200-400 billion stars each.  If we assume each star has 1 planet, and not more, and we average a galaxy to 300 billion stars we can deduce The Hubble Deep Field image contains 10,000 galaxies.  At 2.5 arcminutes, that's roughly 1/2,000,000 of the visible universe in any direction. 

So if we multiply 3,000,000,000 x 10,000 x 2,000,000 we get 6 sextillion or  6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the visible universe.

Yet so far the winner of every Miss Universe pageant has been from Earth. 
I'm beginning to think the contest is rigged. 
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.