Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:05:30 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 631337 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1005 on: August 27, 2015, 09:36:03 AM »

Walter Brennan played a character named Groot in 1948's Red River.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1006 on: August 27, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »

The CIA.

Despite what Hollywood would have you believe, the CIA is actually one of the most non-aggressive of all government agencies, contributing far fewer deaths per annum than the FBI or even most large police forces. According to FOIA files, 99.70% of CIA operations between 1990--2000 were classified as "non-violent." In the age of drone strikes, the CIA has been relegated more and more to a surveillance role, employing fewer field agents today for the purpose of intelligence gathering than at any time in its history, with greater reliance placed on information provided from cooperative foreign agencies than has previously been the case.

In 1997, the CIA saw more of its assets killed in the field than it in turn killed in its own operations, indicating it can be riskier to work for the CIA than it is to work against it.

The CIA employs fewer individuals than the Las Vegas Police Department, and is actually in danger of being absorbed in all but name by the larger, better-funded, and currently more productive, NSA.

Inter-agency rivalries between the FBI, ATF, NSA, DEA, and CIA can be bitter and counterproductive. Officially discouraged, they are unofficially a longstanding pastime with attached traditions similar to those found in, say, college football. Each of these agencies has its own derogatory slang for members of differing agencies.

The CIA is forbidden from operations on US soil, except in one of thirty-three conditions.

One who retires from a career in CIA service is dubbed a “Langer.”

If while on operation, a CIA agent should require assistance or pullout (known as “scamping”) a pre-determined, particular color of a specific item of clothing is prominently worn, and a code word (such as “mistress”) may be innocuously used in certain scheduled, monitored conversations. Generally these code words are used during telephone conversations, but common places of direct contact include well-traveled street corners, a restaurant or bar, or often a church.

All CIA employees receive agency IDs, and may cite their employment in the agency on any future resumes, conditional to restrictions regarding some specific operations.

Agents are paid on the first and fifteenth of every month, and may in certain cases claim something as mundane as a new hairbrush on expense accounts.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #1007 on: August 27, 2015, 07:42:10 PM »

In the Old Testament, Yahweh (God) actually sues Israel for breach of contract (the Sinai covenant). It is the only instance of God initiating a lawsuit against humans in the Bible.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1008 on: August 27, 2015, 10:46:53 PM »

Just out of curiosity, what is the Scriptural reference for that?

I know God repeatedly reproached the Israelites for breaking their covenant with Him, but I don't recall him dragging them into court.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1009 on: August 28, 2015, 09:34:02 AM »

Loose lips have never sunk even one ship. It's just crazy to think human lips could sink  a ship no matter how hard they hit it. Insane.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1010 on: August 28, 2015, 05:37:11 PM »

Think Angelina Jolie lips . . . TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
claws
« Reply #1011 on: September 01, 2015, 05:35:06 PM »

A few ABBA songs facts:

Honey, Honey (1974) spent 4 months in the top 5 in West Germany's singles music charts.
Hasta Mañana (1974) is still immensely popular to this day in South Africa.
SOS (1975) Pete Townshend has said "SOS" is one of the best pop songs ever written. John Lennon declared that it was one of his favorite pop songs.
Fernando (1976) still holds the record for the single spending the most weeks at number 1 (14 weeks) in Australia.
Dancing Queen (1976) ABBA's only #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Knowing Me, Knowing You (1977) Benny named "Knowing Me, Knowing You" as one of ABBA's best recordings.
The Name of the Game (1977) The opening riff on bass and synthesizer is inspired by Stevie Wonder's "I Wish."
Take a Chance on Me (1978) #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 but sold more copies than "Dancing Queen" (#1).
Summer Night City (1978) Bjorn called the recording "really lousy" and Agnetha has been quoted as saying she didn't like the song to start with.
Voulez-Vous (1979) was recorded in Miami with disco group Foxy playing instruments. It's the only ABBA song to be recorded outside of Sweden.
The Winner Takes It All (1980) is Agnetha's favorite ABBA song.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1012 on: September 02, 2015, 04:41:24 PM »

Comic Cons. Horror. Star Trek. Star Wars. Convos. Cosplayers.

D23, which recently wrapped up at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim (California) was no different.

Disney
--animation. attractions. live action.
Marvel
--animation. live action.
Pixar
--animation
Star Wars
--animation. live action.

Hard to get a grasp and a grip on how many attendees came in costume. My best guess would be 1 out of every 250 attendees. Which means several hundred. With a few surprises.

Women seemingly outnumbered the men 2 to 1. The women coming . . .

in singles
in pairs with their
--BFF
--significant other
in groups of 4 or more

The men also coming . . .
in singles
in pairs with their significant other
--both male and female
but . . .?! unlike the women--not in groups

Most of the women coming as a female character, and most of the men coming as a male character, but . . .?! You did get cross dressers. Women coming as a male character, and men coming as a female character. You also have men and women changing roles. For example: the woman would come as Prince Philip, and the man would come as Maleficent.

A couple of more surprises.

While there were some characters from Marvel, and some kids in costume. I was surprised how few there were of both. Maybe they are saving up for the 2nd annual Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon next year at Disneyland with kids' races. From a diaper dash for the under 1s to a 400 meter for the 7s to 8s. Then you'll see . . .

Little Thors
Little Ironmen
Little Hulks
Little Captain Americas, which is popular both with the boys and girls.

Whatever . . .?!

God bless 'em one and all. For the world would be a much less enjoyable place to live, if it was not for those who enjoyed dressing up in costume for a day, a weekend, a week.

And I do mean the world.

The next D23 is in Japan. So, it'll be interesting to see how many of the Japanese dress up in costume. And the next Star Wars is in London (England) next year, and from the last one that was held there, we know that the Brits like to dress up as their favorite Star Wars character.

Next time: the studios

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1013 on: September 12, 2015, 04:37:45 PM »

And the rich just keep getting richer.

21st Century Fox
from 85th largest company in the U.S. to 97th

Time Warner
from 102nd largest company in the U.S. to 104th

CBS
from 182nd largest company in the U.S. to 212th

Viacom
from 210th largest company in the U.S. to 222nd

All of these U.S. entertainment companies either made less money in 2014 then they did in 2013, or they lost money in 2014. Only the . . .

Walt Disney Company
among the largest entertainment companies in the U.S.
made more money in 2014 then they did in 2013.
moving from 61st largest company in the U.S. to 57th.

That is not to say that they will make more money in 2015 then they did in 2014, or more likely 2016 then they did in 2015, as it is hard for any American company, entertainment or ortherwise to put together 2 really good years back to back. Why they may make more money in 2015 then in 2014 is that, the people who crunch those box office numbers, predict that Star Wars : Episode VII - The Force Awakens will make $2.3 billion at the box office, when all is said and done. That was the 1st prediction. Now the prediction is up to $3 billion. Either figure will make it the 2nd highest grossing film at the box office. Behind only "Titanic."

Next time: the mightiest entertainment empire the world has ever seen.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1014 on: September 15, 2015, 03:22:31 PM »

FACT: BoyScoutKevin is the king of the Fact Of The Day topic.

Also a fact: Mr. Burns would trade everything he owns for a little more.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1015 on: September 18, 2015, 05:21:58 PM »

FACT: BoyScoutKevin is the king of the Fact Of The Day topic.

Also a fact: Mr. Burns would trade everything he owns for a little more.

I don't know what Mr. Burns would say, but . . . ?! I just want to say thank-your for the comment. I'd also like to thank everyone, unlike some sites, for allowing me to have my say, and I hope to continue to bring everyone facts that, at least, I think are interesting and informative.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1016 on: September 19, 2015, 02:49:16 PM »

The mightiest entertainment empire the earth has ever seen.

They have a beauty boutique for boys and girls and a café at Harrods
. . . in London (England)
If you cannot find it at Harrods, then it does not exist.

Their books are published
. . . worldwide with a creative center in Milan (Italy)
Actually, they are the largest publisher of children's books in the world.

Their comic books and comic strips are widely published and widely read
. . . in Europe.

Their concerts, ice shows, and stage productions can be seen and heard
. . . in London (England)

They host expos
. . . in Germany
Japan
London (England)

Their food products . . .
cat food
dog food
ham slices in the shape of a certain cartoon character
liver pate
etc.
can be bought
. . . in Europe

Their hotels are
. . . in China
France
Japan

Their merchandise can be bought on-line and/or in their retail stores
. . .in Australia
Canada
China
Denmark
France
Germany
Hong Kong
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Portugal
Spain
Sweden
the U.K.

Their motion pictures are seen
. . . worldwide

Their radio programs can be heard
. . .in Canada,
excluding Quebec

They have a research facility
. . .in Switzerland
81 research projects and counting

Their ships cruise the . . .
Caribbean
Med
North Atlantic

. . . and the waters of . . .
Canada
 Central America
Mexico
Northern Europe
South America

. . . and next year . . .
Ireland
U.K.

Their sporting events, when held
. . .in California
Florida
. . . attract athletes from o'er 30 foreign countries

. . .and next year, there'll be a sporting event near . . .
Paris (France)

Their TV programs are seen
. . .worldwide

Their tour company offers tours
. . .of Africa
Asia
Australia
Central America
Europe
North America
South America
. . .and the Danube River in Europe.

Their theme parks are
. . . China
France
Hong Kong
Japan

Not bad for a company that began less than a century ago in an one-car garage in L.A.

The Walt Disney Company

Next time: put on the old grey bonnet. with the blue ribbon on it.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 02:51:46 PM by BoyScoutKevin » Logged
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1017 on: September 29, 2015, 04:41:50 PM »

"Put on your old grey bonnet. With the blue ribbon on it."

Dapper Days.

dapper=retro finery. I can't explain it, but . . .?! You'll know it, when you see it.

Held twice a year. Once in the spring, when it is a daytime event, and once in the fall, when it is a nighttime event.

At theme parks in Anaheim (California), Orlando (Florida) and near Paris (France.)

If you want to put on your finest retro finery and strut your stuff, along with 10,000 like minded folks . . .

singletons
--men, women
BFFs
couples
--gay, straight
families
groups
--of 6 to a dozen or more

. . . or, the attendance figures of the 2013 at the Anaheim event, the dates for the next spring event are . . .

Paris (France) April 16, 2016
Orlando (Florida) April 16, 2016
Anaheim (California) April 30, 2016 to May 1, 2016

If the one at Anaheim is anything like past events, there'll also be a . . .

a retro slide show
a Friday night dance
a classic car show
and an expo

And it's nice to see photos of the kids dressed up. They're stylin'.

Next time: how old Hamlet?

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1018 on: October 09, 2015, 05:00:13 PM »

How old Hamlet?

Shakespearian scholars have pegged Hamlet's age at anything from 16 to 30. Thus, here are 8 actors, who have played the role on stage: the actor, their age, when they played the role, and the year that they played the role.

Branagh 28 (1988)
Burbage 32 (1600)
Burton 38 (1964)
Cumberbatch 39 (2015)
Fiennes 32 (1995)
Law 36 (2009)
Olivier 30 (1937)
Whishaw 23 (2004)
Average age: 32

If one things about it, Hamlet's actions are not the actions of a fully mature individual, but . . .?! He is still more mature than Romeo, or, in other words, the age of the actor playing Hamlet is probably not as important as the age of the actor playing Romeo, who is too often (IMHO) played by an actor who is too old for the role.

Next time: Star Wars figures, and he is not talking about the kind you get out of the cereal box, though, he'll talk about those as well.
Gene Worm
A Guru of Rubber Monsters, and a
Bad Movie Lover

Rubber Monsters > CGI Monsters

« Reply #1019 on: October 21, 2015, 11:05:24 AM »

DID YOU KNOW:

The same staff that did the amazing(ly bad) three-episode Japanese show, "Assault! Armor Jack!" also did the Japanese show that was so bad, that they could only sell one DVD set of it, and it can be seen on YouTube, by the Japanese name. It is called "Sailor Fight!".

"Listen, you've got to get down below. There's something coming through, and it's the nastiest looking thing yet! Some of your buddies went down there a while ago, and I haven't seen them since."
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.