Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:35:55 PM
714246 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 636169 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1035 on: January 17, 2016, 03:00:48 PM »

While I did say that  I'd talk about the 3%, I'm going to put that aside for now, and talk about . . .

Star Wars Celebration Europe
London, England
July 15, 2016 - July 17, 2016

Without knowing who is going to be there. Without knowing what events will be scheduled, if one is going to be in London that day, it is almost worthwhile to purchase a ticket for some of the following reasons.

1st. Pent up demand. Only the 3rd celebration to be held in Europe, and only the 2nd in London, and the last was in Germany 3 years ago.
2nd. If you think Americans are Star Wars mad, then you ain't seen nuthin' yet.
3rd. An European perspective on an American phenomena.
4th. While the variety available is more than you can shake a light saber at, at the American celebrations, with this one drawing fans from all over Europe, the 
       variety  will be even greater.
5th. 1st look at upcoming Star Wars for the year and the thereafter.

Without knowing what and who will be there, we do know some things.

There will be cosplayers there, as there is a costume contest in 6 categories with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes on the 1st day. The categories being . . .

Jedi and Rebels -- Empire and Sith -- Princesses -- Armed Troops -- Droids -- and Aliens, Creatures, and Outer Rim.

With those 18 winners no doubt going for Best in Show with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes.

And while this is only open to 12s and up, there will be a daily costume parade for children in the Family Area. Thus, there will be children there. Actually, maybe because there were fewer children's tickets offered, these tickets sold out faster than the tickets for adults.

And while there are older fans that begrudge anything that smacks of catering to the younger fans . . .

Darn! I miss Roy Rogers. The 1st or 2nd film I ever saw in the theater was a Roy Rogers' oater. And one can't believe his popularity in my hey day, but . . .?! Because they couldn't or wouldn't, as the older fans died off, bring in the younger fans, he exists only in the memory of those who remember him. And that is why it is needed to bring in the younger fans, as the older original fans of Star Wars die off.

The question is now where will the 2017 Star Wars Celebration be held. It has been suggested in . . .

Asia. It has been held previously in Japan.
Europe again. Maybe Germany.
L.A.
or Orlando

I'd put my money on the last, as to tie in with the opening of Star Wars Land at Disney's Hollywood Studio at Walt Disney World in 2017. The only problem is that when it was held in 2015 in the Anaheim Convention Center, it was only a hop, skip, and a jump from Disneyland. Yet the Orange County [Florida] Convention Center, where it was held last time, being in downtown Orlando, is not that near Walt Disney World. Of course, they could hold it at Walt Disney World, where they do have convention and meeting space. The question being whether they have enough.

Next time: a baker's dozen of quotes from SW7 : TFA. Good for every occasion
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1036 on: January 22, 2016, 12:55:34 PM »

Falling is mostly harmless. It's landing you have to be careful of.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #1037 on: January 24, 2016, 02:53:15 AM »

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1038 on: January 31, 2016, 05:10:16 PM »

Lord, knows that I've underestimated any number of films in my film watching, and films do get underestimated. Though, normally, they are critical and/or box office failures. Seldom are they critical successes and even more successful at the box office. Yet, I think to a certain extent, that's what happened to "Star Wars : Episode 7 - The Force Awakens," especially when it comes to the writing, and, as proof here are a baker's dozen of quotes, good for any occasion, from the film.

01. Chewie, we're home.
Han Solo (Harrison Ford)

02. Tell that to the Kanjiklub.
Bala-Tik (Brian Vernall)

03. Droid, please.
Finn (John Boyega)

04. We're gonna do this.
Poe Dameron (Oscar Issac)

05. I assume you need something desperately.
Maz Kanata (Lupita Nyongo)

06. Where's my boyfriend. I love that Wookie.
Maz Kanata
And in this day and age, it can be said by a man or a woman.

07. I think I can handle myself.
Rey (Daisy Ridley)

08. I know how to run without you holding my hand.
Rey

09. We're not done yet.
Kylo Ren (Adam Driver)

10. You need a teacher.
Kylo Ren

11. I will finish what you started.
Kylo Ren

12. "Why are you doing this? -- Because it is the right thing to do. -- You need A pilot. -- I need a pilot."
 Poe Dameron and Finn

13. '" Okay, stay calm . . . stay calm." -- I am calm!" -- "I was talking to myself."
Finn and Poe Dameron

The last is the only one that originated with me. The others are from the official Star Wars website, but . . .?! So many good lines for so many characters.

And a couple of Star Wars related facts.

1st. "The Force is with the TSA." While passing airport security, your lightsaber, at last word, but . . .?! always check the TSA website before flying, is acceptable in your checked or carry on luggage.

2nd. It looks like Ewan McGregor will be back. Either in Episode VIII or in one of the stand-alone films.

Next time: a dozen more quotes from SW7 : TFA and good for every occasion.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1039 on: February 04, 2016, 01:00:37 PM »

The bite of the Brazilian wandering spider can be deadly to humans, but it can also cause priapism in men---spontaneous erections lasting 4 hours or longer.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1040 on: February 12, 2016, 10:49:39 AM »

The United States technically did not come into existence until 1789. (1776, the colonies declared independence from Great Britain; 1783, independence was recognized at the end of the War of Revolution; 1789 the United States Constitution was ratified, and the current nation began.)

Fact Two: It is a slow, slow day today.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1041 on: February 13, 2016, 12:27:29 PM »

A dozen more quotes from SW7 : TFA. And good for every occasion.

I have a bad feeling about this.
Han Solo (Harrison Ford)

"Growls"--"Oh, really. You're cold."
Chewbacca (Peter Mayhew) and Han Solo.

Women always figure out the truth.
Han Solo.

"You changed your hair."--"Same jacket."
Han Solo and General Leia (Carrie Fisher)
Replace jacket with any other item of clothing, and the quote works just as well.

"I've already fixed it."--"Well, can you unfix it?"
Rey (Daisy Ridley) and Finn (John Boyega)

I didn't think there was that much green in the whole galaxy.
Rey.
Especially useful when counting out money.

"We came to rescue you. It was his idea." (Rey hugs Finn.) "Escape now, hug later."
Han Solo

Talking about Captain Phasma
"What should we do with her?"--Is there a garbage chute . . . a trash compactor?" Finn and Han Solo.

Hope is not lost today. It is found.
General Leia.

This will begin to make things right.
Ler San Tekka (Max von Sydow)

There's been awakening. Have you felt it?
Supreme Leader Snoke (Andy Serkis)

Today is the end of the Republic.
General Hux (Domhall Gleeson)
"Republic" can be replaced by another word, and the quote would still be good for any occasion.

Next time: as I said, why I have joined the 3%.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1042 on: February 25, 2016, 05:52:10 PM »

Why I have joined the 3%, more or less, who do not have TV in their home.

1st "The Cost." I have better things to do with my money.
2nd. "The Wrong." Something will go wrong, and I have reached the point in my life, that I have tried to reduce as much as possible, what can go "wrong" in my life.
3rd. I have "thrown in the towel." As to the why of that . . .?!

My landline is with AT&T. Thus, I got an advisement from them, that they could also provide me with cable TV.

Now, from them, I can get the basic package, excluding the network channels, which includes 84 channels.

The next package is those 84 + 86 more or 170 channels.

Then the next package is those 170 + 32 more + 15 Encore + 22 Showtime + 18 Starz + 4 TMC or 261 channels.

Then the next package is those 261 + 2 more + 24 Cinemax + 28 HBO or 315 channels.

Then there is the sports package, which is extra. The basic is 12 channels, and the premium is those 12 + 48 more or 375 channels.

Then there is . . . (channels)

Epix (8) -- adult or Playboy in both English and/or Spanish (2) -- Spanish language (60) -- International (25) -- Music (75) or 545 channels.

And you know what . . .

I had a simpler time trying to find something to watch, when the maximum number of channels could be counted on 2 hands, then now, if I had 545 channels. And that is why I have "thrown in the towel."

Next time: something about the man who inspired "M," both the German and American versions, and the German "Tenderness of Wolves."
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1043 on: February 26, 2016, 05:13:10 PM »

Why I have joined the 3%, more or less, who do not have TV in their home.

1st "The Cost." I have better things to do with my money.
2nd. "The Wrong." Something will go wrong, and I have reached the point in my life, that I have tried to reduce as much as possible, what can go "wrong" in my life.
3rd. I have "thrown in the towel." As to the why of that . . .?!

My landline is with AT&T. Thus, I got an advisement from them, that they could also provide me with cable TV.

Now, from them, I can get the basic package, excluding the network channels, which includes 84 channels.

The next package is those 84 + 86 more or 170 channels.

Then the next package is those 170 + 32 more + 15 Encore + 22 Showtime + 18 Starz + 4 TMC or 261 channels.

Then the next package is those 261 + 2 more + 24 Cinemax + 28 HBO or 315 channels.

Then there is the sports package, which is extra. The basic is 12 channels, and the premium is those 12 + 48 more or 375 channels.

Then there is . . . (channels)

Epix (8) -- adult or Playboy in both English and/or Spanish (2) -- Spanish language (60) -- International (25) -- Music (75) or 545 channels.

And you know what . . .

I had a simpler time trying to find something to watch, when the maximum number of channels could be counted on 2 hands, then now, if I had 545 channels. And that is why I have "thrown in the towel."

Next time: something about the man who inspired "M," both the German and American versions, and the German "Tenderness of Wolves."

We only had one TV in the house when I was growing up, and I didn't have cable until I was in college, and in a way I may have missed out on some of the shows that were cultural sign posts in my youth, but you know, I bet I read a thousand books growing up, and I don't think I would have if we'd had anything like 545 channels. So good for you, BoyScoutKevin!

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1044 on: March 01, 2016, 09:23:51 AM »

For forty-two days a year two of my children are the same age, yet they're not twins.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1045 on: March 03, 2016, 08:46:01 PM »

The German serial killer who inspired "M," both the German and American versions, and the German "Tenderness of Wolves." Fritz Haarmann, who has 27 victims, all young men or boys, inscribed to him. He may have killed many more than that, but . . .?! That is the only victims they could connect to him. Mostly through the distinctive clothing, which he kept, worn by this victims.

His oldest victim was 22, and his youngest victim was 10, as for the rest . . .

13 - 2 victims
14 - 1 victim
15 - 1 victim
16 - 7 victims
17 - 9 victims
18 - 1 victim
19 - 3 victims
20 - 1 victim

Average age of his victims: 16 and a half.

Next time: I have some good news, and I have some bad news.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1046 on: March 04, 2016, 10:58:58 AM »

It's claimed blind people don't see the color black, they see literally nothing. The sense of sight is simply absent.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1047 on: March 12, 2016, 05:14:07 PM »

I have some good news, and I have some bad news.

The good news is, if you flew out of a hub airport in the U.S. last year or 2015, less than one 1 hundredth of one percent of your fellow 708 million passengers tried, either deliberately or accidentally, tried to sneak a gun past airport security.

The bad news is that last year set a record at 2653 incidents, or the greatest number of incidents since statistics have been kept. With these 5 airports having the most incidents in number and percentage of total incidents.

Dallas Fort Worth 153 (5.77%)
Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson 144 (5.43%)
Houston George Bush 100 (3.77%)
Denver 90 (3.39%)
Phoenix Sky Harbor 73 (2.75%)
Total 560 (21.11%)

Next time: maybe Hitchcock knew something.
Gene Worm
A Guru of Rubber Monsters, and a
Bad Movie Lover

Rubber Monsters > CGI Monsters

« Reply #1048 on: March 13, 2016, 11:54:41 PM »

King Kong's average height is about 50 ft while Godzilla's is around 300 ft, meaning in King Kong vs. Godzilla, Godzilla would just stomp on Kong and that'd be it. But then again, that'd be alienating the King Kong fans and having Kong win would alienate the Godzilla fans, and killing them both would alienate both. So... there's probably going to be a special twist.

"Listen, you've got to get down below. There's something coming through, and it's the nastiest looking thing yet! Some of your buddies went down there a while ago, and I haven't seen them since."
Flangepart

« Reply #1049 on: March 15, 2016, 11:28:04 AM »

It's claimed blind people don't see the color black, they see literally nothing. The sense of sight is simply absent.
Hummm....I'll as The Barbara about that. She lost her sight by about 13, so she knows colors.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.