Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:45:12 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 631459 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1065 on: May 10, 2016, 03:10:05 AM »

Can you show me the way to Sesame Street or . . .

Villa Sesame in Brazil
1 Rue Sesame in France
Sesamstrasse in Germany
Rechev Sum Sum in Israel
Plaza Sesamo in Mexico
Batibut in the Philippines

Takalani Sesame in South Africa.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1066 on: May 15, 2016, 03:34:30 PM »

The non-royal wedding of the decade: the 1550's that is.

Four of the most powerful and well-to-do families in the country (the Dudleys,  the Greys, the Hastings, the Herberts) invite you to a marriage, in London (England,) between their sons and daughters, with no expense spared, for two days of wining, dining, and entertainment.

Couple 1
Groom: 17
Bride: 16

Couple 2
Groom: 15
Bride 12 and a half

Couple 3
Groom: 17 and a half
Bride: 10

Average groom: 16 and a half
Average bride: 13
Average total: 14 and a half

Not so strange the age difference between bride and groom for Couple 3. Often brides would marry a groom a decade older and grooms would marry a bride half or even a third his age. What was strange was why the marriages were unconsummated. And it is not because for political reasons, as one novelist has written, it is because of the bride's ages, which were considered too young to consummate the marriage for Couples 2 and 3, but . . .?! for Couple 1, both of whom were considered old enough (15 historically and maybe 14) to consummate . . .?! Even if the groom came down with a bad case of food poisoning that wedding night . . .?! The delay is a surprise. For a wedding is only a wedding till it is consummated, and then it becomes wedlock.

Wedding Gifts (Possibly)

the appropriate animals for those who liked hunting and hawking (i.e.) hounds and hawks

books for those so inclined

cash

clocks

for the boys . . .
gilded armor
for the girls . . .
dresses sewn with tiny diamonds and seed pearls

Flemish tapestries

gold plate

furniture

horses with tack and ponies for the little ones

jewelry

silver plate

tennis rackets and balls for those who play

Turkish carpets

Venetian glassware

works of art, including portraits of the brides and grooms

Wedding Entertainment

"There's dancin' to-nite!"
dancing, of course. Led by the bridal couples

jousting
Not including the grooms, and not because according to one novelist, they were too drunk to mount their horses, but . . .?! Historically, people have died while jousting, and the grooms were too valuable to risk.

masques
Not 1, but . . .?! 2. An all-men troupe and an all-women troupe. And these were not G-rated masques, which is probably why the all-children's masque troupe, and there was one, was not there.

Future Happiness

We don't know the living arrangements made for Couple 3, but . . .?!

Couple 1 and Couple 2 both went to live with the grooms' parents, as couples were not considered old enough to live on their own, till 1 and possibly both, were over 20. Thus, splitting up the brides who were sisters. As for later . . .

Couple 1
In an year, both the bride and the groom were dead. Both executed by beheading for treason. In a case in which 300 years later, Charles Dickens (yes, that Charles Dickens) called one of the worst cases of child abuse he had seen in the past 300 years.

Couple 2
In an year, both were divorced. Not that they wanted to divorce, but . . .?! Forced into divorce for political reasons by the groom's father. We can presume the groom later married, as did the bride, who found no greater happiness with her 2nd husband, for failing to get the queen's permission to marry, the couple was separated and both imprisoned in the Tower of London. The imprisonment seemed to have no effect on him, as he lived to the ripe old age of 82, but . . .?! the imprisonment broke her both physically and mentally. Dying a short time after release from the Tower of consumption or anorexia and/or both.

Next time: miscellaneous

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1067 on: May 16, 2016, 04:17:44 PM »

According to his driver's license, as shown in an early season of The Simpsons, Homer Simpson would be turning sixty years old this week.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1068 on: May 17, 2016, 09:45:51 AM »

According to research conducted by Purdue University, it takes 364 licks to reach the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop. Shrug, I guess that's better use of tax dollars than building a new battleship.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1069 on: May 19, 2016, 07:53:03 PM »

Miscellaneous

In 1986, the 1st year that income taxes could be filed electronically in the U.S., 25,000 tax returns were filed that way.
30 years later, or in 2016, 128,000,000 tax returns are expected to be filed electronically.
Electronically filed tax returns are 20 times more accurate, than paper returns, and the filer receives his or hers refund in half the time.

The French "Beauty and the Beast" is more than 2500 years old. The original tale dating back to 500 B.C.
The German "Rumpelstiltskin" is even older. The original tale dating back to 4000 B.C.

The 1st known female pharaoh was Hatshepsut, the widow of Thutmose II, who took over as pharaoh, when he died.

Next time: the ghosts who walk . . . and laugh . . . and scream . . . and weep . . .in the Tower of London.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1070 on: May 26, 2016, 08:37:26 AM »

1. Auschwitz has....a gift shop.  Buggedout

2. My friend Edie mildly disapproves of that. She just got back from a five-day trip over with her temple and she was like, "I cannot f**king believe this f**king s**t! My f**king people f**king died there in droves and they've got a f**king gift shop on the way out of f**king Auschwitz, selling f**king Anne Frank books, who was never even there, and they sell tattoo kits for your f**king arm, and f**king key chains, and f**king videos and f**king t-shirts that f**king say NEVER AGAIN. I am f**king enraged by this f**king f**ked-up bulls**t. Who the f**k thought it'd be a good idea to put a motherf**king gift shop in a f**king concentration camp museum where f**king thousands of my people f**king died, and my kids have to walk past some fat Polish goy shopkeeper whose grandfather probably helped run the place trying to hawk f**king snowglobes and prepackaged egg salad sandwiches to them when they just got done looking at ovens and gas showers and piles of shoes and mounds of hair the f**king Nazis stole off innocent people????!!!!!?"

I suggested maybe it's expensive for Poland to keep the place open and the gift shop helps, so she yelled a slur about my mother and hung up on me.

Thank you, Hitler, for a very disturbing morning. You are the gift to mankind that keeps on giving.

Anyway, it is shocking that Auschwitz apparently has a gift shop, but I think it's halfway put her into therapy.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1071 on: May 26, 2016, 11:28:35 AM »

So that's what she went off about!
  Yeah, I kind of have to agree with her, albeit less profanely.  I was disappointed to find that Masada has a food court.  Seriously . . . not just a gift shop but a FOOD COURT.  (At least it's mostly run by Jews, but still . . .)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AoTFan

« Reply #1072 on: May 28, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »

1. Auschwitz has....a gift shop.  Buggedout

2. My friend Edie mildly disapproves of that. She just got back from a five-day trip over with her temple and she was like, "I cannot f**king believe this f**king s**t! My f**king people f**king died there in droves and they've got a f**king gift shop on the way out of f**king Auschwitz, selling f**king Anne Frank books, who was never even there, and they sell tattoo kits for your f**king arm, and f**king key chains, and f**king videos and f**king t-shirts that f**king say NEVER AGAIN.

Well, I guess it could be worse, they could be selling Easy Bake Ovens with little marshmallow shaped people for the kids to play with.

In all seriousness though, I remember thinking something similar when I went to the Titanic Museum in Branson.  They had a lot stuff for sale, and, among other things, was this rectangular snow globe type thing filled half with blue water (actually, I think it's colored baby oil) and regular water with a plastic Titanic ship and plastic iceberg.  And even though i bought it (I have this thing for the snow globes with "unsinkable" stuff floating it), I couldn't help but think what people who actually survived the Titanic would think about that.  I mean, would they make a snow globe of the World Trade Center with "snow" to represent debris, a couple of plastic airplanes and maybe even a few miniature people to represent the unfortunate jumpers?
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1073 on: May 28, 2016, 10:31:41 AM »

the town I live in has 3 Dunkin Donuts' and one ATM
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1074 on: May 31, 2016, 05:30:21 PM »

Ghosts who walk . . . and laugh . . . and scream . . . and weep . . . in the Tower of London.

1. King Henry VII
who can be seen in the chapel in which he was murdered.

2. "The Princes in the Tower"
the teenage Edward V
and his younger brother

3. Richard, Duke of York
whose laughter reverberates thru the Tower.

4. Queen Ann Boleyn
who wanders headless thru the Tower.

5. Margaret de la Pole, Countess of Salisbury
where 1 would do. It took 3 . . . blows of the headsman's axe, and whose screams still can be heard.

6. King Henry VIII's suit of armor
and, apparently, the only malevolent one there.

7. "The Nine Days Queen of England"
the teenage Lady Jane Grey,
who, in 1957, was seen walking the battlements, where she walked 400 years earlier, ere her execution,
and her teenage husband

8. Lord Guildford Dudley
who can be heard weeping, because of their deaths.

9. Lady Arabella Stuart
who starved herself to death and another weeper.

10. And a polar bear that once inhabited the Tower's menagerie.

Next time: Squirrel! Where?
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1075 on: June 14, 2016, 05:34:09 PM »

Squirrel! Where?

A group of squirrels is a scurry.

There are more than 200 species of squirrels worldwide, but . . .?!

There are only 5 species of squirrels in the U.S.

In 1987 95 New Yorkers were bitten by a squirrel, or about 8 a month.

In that same year 1587 New Yorkers were bitten by other New Yorkers, or about 132 a month.

No word as to how many squirrels were bitten by New Yorkers, but . . .?! in 1987 New Yorkers were 1650 times more dangerous than squirrels to other New Yorkers.

Next time: The Duties of a Page, or, What Your Job Entails When You Are a Boy Between 7 and 18.
AoTFan

« Reply #1076 on: June 16, 2016, 09:23:35 PM »

busking

To perform in the street.

i just learned that yesterday.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1077 on: June 23, 2016, 04:28:56 PM »

Normally, I'd postpone this to later, but . . .?! as the election is today, I thought I get this out, ere we knew the final results.

Brexit,
or should the U.K. leave the European Union (EU,) where it is a member in good standing?

Against
David Cameron
Hillary Clinton
Warren Buffett
Bill Gates
Jamie Dimon
Benedict Cumberbatch
Eric Idle
President Obama

For
George Osborne
Boris Johnson
Rupert Murdoch
Donald Trump
Paul Ryan
Michael Caine
John Cleese

As a hint as to which way the vote will go, Ladbrokes the big British betting concern, where you can get odds on almost anything, says the odds favor those that want to remain in the EU.

And the younger generation, and this is universal across most of the countries in the EU, are the ones that want to remain in the EU, while it is the older generation that in a vote, would vote to have their country leave the EU.

And we'll see what we'll see!

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1078 on: June 27, 2016, 09:38:57 AM »

The first Harry Potter book, The Philosopher's Stone, came out* nineteen years ago today. I had just gotten out of high school and was having a stressful summer, the Millennial generation were toddlers, Seinfeld was still on the air, Princess Diana was alive, Barack Obama was hardly a household name, and only 35% of US households had internet access. How time flies....

*Yes, it announced it was gay.

frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #1079 on: June 28, 2016, 08:04:11 AM »

The French "Beauty and the Beast" is more than 2500 years old. The original tale dating back to 500 B.C.
The German "Rumpelstiltskin" is even older. The original tale dating back to 4000 B.C.

I somehow doubt that, at least the second one. That was the time before (or right at) the establishment of Cuneiform script and hyrophlyphs...

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.