Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:59:41 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 635852 times)
AoTFan
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1110 on: October 01, 2016, 06:36:20 AM »

Since the dark ages, black animals, especially cats, were considered bad luck because of the idea they were witches' familiars.  Even today black cats (and black dogs for that matter), are a lot less likely to be adopted from shelters.  Which is really sad. 
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1111 on: October 05, 2016, 09:07:57 AM »

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

The above is a complete sentence.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1112 on: October 10, 2016, 04:11:54 PM »

The fact is that it has been over 4 decades, since I was last a teenager, but . . .?! I still remember my teen years, so I have not lost my empathy for the young men of this world, both fictional and factual. 1st some of the latest fictional characters for whom I feel some empathy.

Danny Latimer (Oskar McNamara) Broad church. TV program.

Where one does not know their postman and almost everyone is stupid. Not because they are written as being stupid, but . . .?!

The boy - the victim. Because the writer has no understanding or seems to have no understanding of how boys relate to each other nor how boys relate to the adults around them.

The man - the villain. Because the writer has no understanding or seems to have no understanding of what these people say and/or do nor the excuses they use to excuse their behavior. And the man's actions are just illogically stupid.

The townspeople. As what they say and do is so illogically stupid.

Of course, all of this is (IMHO) What is not (IMHO) is the stupidity of the police, which can be quantified with over 30 stupid things they say and/or do. Which we'll have to post at some later date.

Though, the show can be used as a standard, maybe a low standard, but . . .?! a standard by which other writings of similar nature can be compared and contrasted.

And, if you want to see something, then . . . there is this, which I don't recommend because of the bad writing, but . . .?! there is the American remake "Grace point," which I have not seen, and the French remake "Mala terra," which I have also not seen, but . . .?! am interested in finding and seeing.

pre-Teen. (11) Neither. English. Middle class. Deceased (Strangled) Criminal - victim. Homosexual. "He deserved better . . . a better writer."

Prince Edvin. Justin Semper. Allies and Assassins.

This is where I disagree with the writer, who has set it in medieval times, but . . .?! which I think works better set in the 19th century.

And if one is looking for something to watch, . . . then the story is being shopped around Hollywood in the hope that someone will pick it up and make a film out of it, which I'd like to see.

And there is also the sequel to this, which I have not read, the author's A Conspiracy of Princes, which takes up where this one leaves off.

Teen. (14) Hero. Unknown. Upper class. Injured. Homosexual. "The cigarette smoking, monocle wearing prince of Archenfield."

To be continued . . . with other fictional characters for whom I feel some empathy.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1113 on: October 11, 2016, 12:44:07 PM »

Continuing . . .

The fact is that sometimes men and women do not see eye to eye.

Christopher (Chris) Harper IV.  The Secret Place. Tana French.

"By a woman. For a woman. About a woman." If I can, as a male, not get the female perspective, as a male I can say that sometimes female writers, critics, audiences do not get the male perspective as in the above, and fall back to using stereotypical characters. Though . . . the authoress is not the only female writer to use stereotypical male characters, as do some male writers.
Which is why it's good to see something like the 3 Janes' My Lady Jane. Each of the 3 Janes taking one of the main characters.

16 year-old King Edward VI
16 year-old Lady Jane Grey
and 19-year old Lord Gifford Dudley or G.

Not only do the 2 Janes taking the male characters nail their characters, but . . .?! they create 2 characters who are not the same at the end as they are at the beginning, and the evolution of the 2 characters is just right.

Teen. (16) Neither. Irish. Upper middle class. Deceased. (Bludgeoned) Victim. Bisexual.  "He ain't sexually aggressive anymore!"

To be continued . . .
AoTFan

« Reply #1114 on: October 11, 2016, 11:51:50 PM »

Honey is the only food that will NOT spoil. 

(Despite what they say, Twinkies will.)
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1115 on: October 13, 2016, 05:00:53 PM »

Continuing . . .

The fact is . . .
She may have a point.

Arthur W. Waybourne. Blue gate Fields. Anne Perry.

I think she has greater sympathy for lower class children, who are sexually abused, then upper class children, who are sexually abused. Though . . . upper class children are just as vulnerable to sexual abuse as lower class children. I do know, because she has said it, at least in the past, that the sexual abuse of boys is far  worst than the sexual abuse of girls. Which is why she may have written so many fictional books on the subject. Frankly (IMHO) they are the same. One is no worst than the other. Still . . .?! She may have a point. Those fictional novels that delve into the sexual abuse of children, the girl is far more likely to be the victim, then the boy. The boy being victim is probably less than even the real world, where statistics show us that girls are far more likely to be victims of sexual abuse than boys. Which is why "Broad church" was disappointing. As the victim was 11, we could have had an honest and true look at hebephilia with the rare male victim. We got the male victim, but . . .?! whatever the look at it, it was neither true nor honest. And if you want to see something, rather then read something, then the 1st novel in this series "The Cater Street Hangman" was made into a TV movie. Though . . . unfortunately no more of the novels in this series have been put onto film.

Teen (16) Neither. English. Lower upper class. Deceased. (Drowned) Criminal and victim. Homosexual. The past. "The human MacGuffin."

Next time: one more fictional character, then a factual character.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1116 on: October 15, 2016, 04:03:25 PM »

Continuing . . .
The fact is . . .

that Marvel's Thanos is the 4th or 5th most popular villain in the comic book universe.
My take on the subject . . .
Like a lot of characters liked by others, I find him boring and uninteresting.
That is not to say that in Marvel's Phase IV or sometime after 2020, I wouldn't like to see a Thanos film or 2 based upon the following.
Not for Thanos, but . . .?! for his young peers. For what would it be like to be young and live in a true Utopia.
And while the story can play out any number of ways, this is the way that I'd like to see it play out.

Sogarth. Thanos Rising. Aaron and Bianchi.

Mad Thanos becomes even madder, when he and several friends are trapped in a cave-in in the forbidden cave. And here he kills Argos, his best friend, the most popular boy among his peers, and his little girlfriend Cythera, the prettiest girl among his peers, when he find them snogging and cheating on him, and 4-Eyes, the smartest boy among his peers, who witnessed the murders. Thus leaving Thanos the only survivor, when they are found. The adults blame 4-Eyes for the other deaths, but . . . his peers know who is really responsible, and thus, Thanos, who was accepted is now an outcast and a pariah. Thus rejected by his peers, who once accepted him, he seeks the acceptance and approval of his father by besting his father in dissection class.

Our college is their high school. And he gets an idea to dissect a great cave ape for class.
pre-high. And he gets a middling grade in class.
Then he gets an idea to dissect a couple of his young Titanian peers for class.
Frosh. And he gets the highest grade in class.
Then he dissects another pair of his peers.
Soph. And he gets the 3rd highest grade ever in class. Bested only by his science professor and his father.
Then he dissects another pair of his peers.
Jr. And he gets the 2nd highest grade ever in class. Bested only by his father's grade in the class.
And then he dissects the final pair of his peers.
Sr. And he gets the highest grade ever in class. Besting even his father in the class.
And does he get acceptance and approval from his father? No!

He then kills his science father and his mother, who he has found been cheating on his father, ever since he was born, and maybe his father is not really his father.
He is discovered in this by the 2 figures he cannot kill: his father and his brother Eros, who greet him not with acceptance and approval, but . . .?! with disapproval. Thus, Thanos flees Titan for space, where he continues with his life in another film.

From him we know he killed 17 people on his planet. These make 13 of the 17, and with the 2 died on his exploration of the surface of Titan, and the 2 who died on his exploration of Jupiter, which were accidents, but . . .?! he now claims as his killings, one has 17.

Teen. (15) Villain. Titan. Upper middle class. Deceased. (Dissected) Victim. Heterosexual. "And he was good to the last drop . . . the last drop of his blood."

Next time: the one factual character still alive, who I feel empathy for.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 04:09:57 PM by BoyScoutKevin » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1117 on: October 15, 2016, 06:32:14 PM »

In 1859, San Francisco native (and South African immigrant) Joshua Abraham Norton declared himself Emperor of the United States. One of his first acts was to abolish Congress. He printed his own money, which was accepted by local merchants. Another famous decree, which has not yet been rescinded, was to make calling San Francisco "Frisco" a criminal offense: "Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word 'Frisco,' which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1118 on: October 15, 2016, 10:28:06 PM »

A fascinating character!  When Emperor Norton I died, over 20,000 people attended his funeral, and his eulogy was printed on the front page of the San Francisco newspapers.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
claws
« Reply #1119 on: October 16, 2016, 05:13:40 AM »

MadTV Comedienne Stephnie Weir gained notoriety for her offbeat impersonations of Anna Nicole Smith. Weir and Smith shared the same Birthday date, November 28, 1967. Both born in Texas.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1120 on: October 18, 2016, 09:00:09 PM »

"It's a fact....the Queen of England does not know her ABC's..."

Anyone ID this "fact" and just aboat impress me mightily?

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1121 on: October 19, 2016, 01:19:24 PM »

"It's a fact....the Queen of England does not know her ABC's..."

Anyone ID this "fact" and just aboat impress me mightily?

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1122 on: October 20, 2016, 06:28:18 PM »

You are frequently awesome, Rev!

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1123 on: October 20, 2016, 06:35:34 PM »

It's a fact, in 2005 while experiencing a lot of on-the-job down time I made a twenty-five page list of stuff that I thought sucked. (Obviously not all of it was first-hand experience, just imaginative empathy.)

Part 1 of 130 is sampled below:

....oversleeping; clothes come out of dryer with “musty” smell; your roommate uses your hairbrush; rabid-looking stray dog s**ts on your lawn; getting a toothache; bad hair weeks; boyfriend reminisces a bit too fondly about former girlfriend’s ‘killer rack’; buying rotten bananas; broken hot water heater; biting your tongue while eating tasteless three-bean casserole at a church supper; dumb-as-a-brick spouse never gets your witty jokes; getting burned by a sparkler on the Fourth of July; slicing open your leg while shaving in the shower when you’re in a hurry and have to wear a dress that day; cop car pulls behind you, lights flashing; breakfast cereals cost too f**king much; migraine headache sufferer won’t shut up about seeing ‘lights’; sitting through class while having to fart; the expression “I can relate to that”; whacking yourself in the nuts with a yoyo while trying to impress cute girl; awesome new video game won’t run on your crappy old computer; bra strap shows in senior picture; your marshmallow falls in campfire;  getting ‘sexiled’ by your roommate; the way too much coffee makes your pee smell; excellent college football game not shown in your region; flat beer; trying to shop for a week’s groceries on twenty bucks; Saturday morning cartoons pre-empted by f**ked-up political debate; the shrill noise of a dentist’s drill; someone eats the white stuff out of every Oreo in the box and leaves the cookies licked on and staring you in the face; fat math teacher’s rank breath when he leans over you to b***h you out for missing a problem; pervy neighbor gropes you in the stairwell; sunburns that don’t peel; running out of hot water in the middle of your shower; underwear riding up; stuck on elevator with freak who wants to talk about Jesus; hangnail getting caught on sweater; cleaning puke put of back seat after your turn as designated driver; paper cut; finding out ‘too late’ toilet paper roll is empty; sister didn’t return your rented DVDs on time like she swore she would; those little orange and black peanut butter candies given out by cheap people on Halloween; can’t get off the phone with overly-talkative grandmother; sitting one table in from smoking area at restaurant; registered letters from the IRS; registered letters from the local health department; the Prom Queen you were jealous of ten years ago actually still looks pretty at your class reunion; gay servers named David; ads for laxatives during dinnertime; getting hit in the eye by a rubber band; undercooked fish sticks; both your daughters get engaged the same month and expect you to pay for their weddings; boyfriend collects action figures at age twenty; forgetting where you left your dentures; crowded rush-hour bus-rides on hot days; the emissions check on your car; standing in line at the grocery store; letting your bikini area grow out so it can be waxed again; getting invited to some obscure cousin’s wedding just because she’s trying to up her gift tally; ice cream headaches; dead possum hit in front of your driveway; depo provera shots; dumbass who won’t let you stop playing some ignorant board game; zipping your nipple up in your windbreaker; falling face-first into wet cement; being too poor to go on the class field trip; white subtitles against white backgrounds; bargain lip balms; racist minority student talking s**t in anthropology class and bleeding heart professor won’t tell him to shut up; ‘technical’ virgins who brag they’re saving themselves.....

(I had a lot of time on my hands.)

Entire list available on demand.

alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #1124 on: October 21, 2016, 01:39:23 PM »

A fascinating character!  When Emperor Norton I died, over 20,000 people attended his funeral, and his eulogy was printed on the front page of the San Francisco newspapers.

Then there's this guy....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oofty_Goofty

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.