Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:07:48 PM
713359 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 631415 times)
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1170 on: April 08, 2017, 03:37:52 PM »

Decapitated heads die from cerebral hypoxia (lack of oxygen) , i read that a frenchman wanted to test out a guillatine when it was first invented. His test was a success,  he proved that the guillatine works and that cutting ones head off can be fatal, even for village idiots. Oh, and the atomic weight of cobalt is 58.9.

exterminate all rational thought.....
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1171 on: April 10, 2017, 03:29:39 PM »

Sony Columbia releases for 2017.

06/16 Rough Night
06/28 Baby Driver
07/07 Spiderman : Homecoming
08/04 The Dark Tower
08/25 All Saints
09/15 The Soultrean
11/10 The Star
12/20 Jumanji : Welcome to the Jungle

And here are a half dozen of the most popular DCOMs (Disney Channel Original Movies), which makes them some of the most popular made for TV movies ever seen on TV, and in alphabetical order . . .

Camp Rock
Descendants
High School Musical 2
Phineas and Ferb : the Movie
Teen Beach Movie
Wizards of Waverly Place : the Movie

Next time: another day. another studio + "what goes up. must come down. lest it also goes up."
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #1172 on: April 10, 2017, 10:31:55 PM »

At one point Rocky Balboa was going to become a member of the G.I. Joe team.

They had made a mold and artwork for the toy before the deal fell through.  There is even a single issue of the G.I. Joe Marvel comic that shows Rocky as a member and gives him a bio.  The very next issue they had to put out a disclaimer saying that Rocky was never a member of the team. 

There was also a convention exclusive figure of Rowdy Roddy Piper who's bio says he's actually a relative of Destro. 

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1173 on: April 19, 2017, 05:41:44 PM »

20th Century Fox
Upcoming features in 2017

05/12 Snatched
05/19 Alien : Contact
05/19 Diary of a Wimpy Kid : the Long Haul
06/02 Captain Underpants
(and a congratulations to Trevor, who as a member of this board, is the 1st one to get his own film)
07/14 War for the Planet of the Apes
07/29 Kings man : the Golden Circle
10/20 The Mountain Between Us
11/10 Red Sparrow
11/22 Murder on the Orient Express
(normally, this is something I'd see, but I've already seen it twice, the theatrical version in 1974 and the TV version, so I lack interest in seeing it a 3rd time)
12/15 Ferdinand
(this is actually a full-length feature remake of the 1939 Oscar winning animated short subject, which is worth checking out for the caricatures of the animators who worked on it, and for the matador who is the old man himself Walt Disney)
12/25 The Greatest Showman on Earth

Note: that over half of these are either remakes or sequels.

What goes up must come down. Lest it goes up.

Indoor Cinemas
1995: 7151
2015: 5375
decrease 25%

Drive-in cinemas
1995: 593
2015: 349
decrease 41%
when I 1st moved into the area in which I still live, there were several, then there were none, and now there is 1, and as it is still in existence, it must be doing enough business to reman open.

Average ticket price
1995: $4.35
2015: $8.43
increase 48%

Popcorn sold
1995: 1.03 billion lbs.
2015: 1.11 billion lbs.
increase 7%
As studios can and have demanded 100%, even 110% of the gate receipts, this is where the cinema makes its money, and if moviegoers are like myself, they'll spend more at the concession stand than for the ticket.

Next time: another day. another studio and then there were 9 + 1 surprise kicker.

claws
« Reply #1174 on: April 22, 2017, 02:30:17 PM »

The Empire Strikes Back was the biggest domestic box office hit of 1980. However, the movie that spend the most weeks at #1 in 1980 was Coal Miner's Daughter.
Released March 7, 1980, Coal MIner's Daughter took the top spot for nine continuous weeks and was finally de-throned by Friday the 13th on May 11, 1980.

Coal Miner's daughter ended up grossing $67m. The Empire Strikes Back made $209m, but only spend six weeks at #1.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #1175 on: April 25, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »

The Empire Strikes Back was the biggest domestic box office hit of 1980. However, the movie that spend the most weeks at #1 in 1980 was Coal Miner's Daughter.
Released March 7, 1980, Coal MIner's Daughter took the top spot for nine continuous weeks and was finally de-throned by Friday the 13th on May 11, 1980.

Coal Miner's daughter ended up grossing $67m. The Empire Strikes Back made $209m, but only spend six weeks at #1.

On the opposite end of that spectrum.

Zyzzyx Road was released in 2006.  It played in one theater for six days and made only $30 dollars.  Six people saw it.  $10 of that was refunded.  The make up effects artists saw it with a friend and they both got their money back from the star of the movie. 

The Worst Movie Ever was released in 2011.  It had two midnight showings in a single theater and made only $11.  Only person paid to see it. 

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1176 on: April 26, 2017, 02:35:28 PM »

Universal/NBC/Comcast
Upcoming features in 2017

06/09 The Mummy
There is some talk, after this, of Universal rebooting all of its horror film icons.

06/16 The Best of Henry

06/23 The Beguiled
If the title sounds familiar, it is the remake of the 1971 film, with the same title, starring Clint Eastwood.

06/30 Despicable Me 3

07/21 Girls Trip

07/28 Atomic Blonde
An example of how an adapted novel can be changed for the film to make it more suitable for film audiences, as they may not be the same as the audience for the book. Based on the graphic novel The Coldest City by Johnston and Hart, the film originally had the same title as the graphic novel till it was changed to what you see here.

09/22 Victoria and Abdul

09/29 American Made

10/13 The Snowman

10/20 Half to Death

10/27 Thank you for Your Service

11/24 Darkest Hour

12/22 Pitch Perfect 3

2017 The Best Man Wedding

Then There Were 9 + 1 Surprise Kicker

Every 2 years the House of Mouse at its D23 Expo awards people it calls its Legends with its Disney Legends awards. Here are the actors, animators, entertainment executives, Imagineers, etc. receiving the award in 2017.

Clyde Geronimi
Manuel Gonzales
Wayne Jackson

Stan Lee
When that old man dies, it'll be an end of era, he'll have outlived most of his contemporaries, including his brother. Now he has a 2nd career of making cameo appearances in films.  His being his appearance as himself in The Mallrats (1995) My favorite of his cameos is as Fred's father in Big hero 6 (2014.)

Gary Marshall
Julie Taymor

Oprah Winfrey
If there is any question as to why she is here, her production company Harpo Production has produced many of the programs seen on ABC. She can be seen in the upcoming A Wrinkle in Time for the House of Mouse. She produced and starred in a motion picture for the House of Mouse's adult division. And she voiced a character in one of the animated films for House of Mouse.

Carrie Fisher
Mark Hamill

And who is missing? That is where the Surprise Kicker comes in, as someone has pointed out, the awards ceremony often features a Legend who is not announced to the awards ceremony. And this year it is thought it may be Harrison Ford.

Next time: another day. another studio + if there is a way to make money legally, it is involved.

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #1177 on: April 26, 2017, 09:17:20 PM »

Stan Lee
When that old man dies, it'll be an end of era, he'll have outlived most of his contemporaries, including his brother. Now he has a 2nd career of making cameo appearances in films.  His being his appearance as himself in The Mallrats (1995) My favorite of his cameos is as Fred's father in Big hero 6 (2014.)

I'm assuming you meant to say his first being his appearance in mallrats.  That's incorrect.  He cameod as a juror in the made for TV movie Trial of the Incredible Hulk in 1989.   
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1178 on: May 04, 2017, 06:42:17 PM »

Stan Lee

I'm assuming you meant to say his first being his appearance in mallrats.  That's incorrect.  He cameod as a juror in the made for TV movie Trial of the Incredible Hulk in 1989.   

Thank-you for catching that Chainsaw. While I do try to proofread my posts, some of them come across as being badly written and indecipherable, which that one is. What I meant to say was that Lee's favorite cameo was in The Mallrats (1995.)
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1179 on: May 04, 2017, 07:01:35 PM »

2017 upcoming releases for Time Warner

05/12 King Arthur : Legend of the Sword
05/19 Everything Every thing
06/02 Wonder Woman
06/30 The House
07/21 Dunkirk
08/11 Anabelle : Creator
09/08 It
09/22 Ninjago
10/06 Blade Runner 2049
10/20 Geo storm
11/17 Justice League
12/22 Bastards (2017)
2017 Chicken Soup for the Soul

When you think of the House of Mouse, what do you think of?
Animation? Live action? Theme parks? Maybe TV?
That's just scratching the surface, as they have more fingers in more pies, than you can shake a stick at, and here are some of them.

animation -- apps
beauty boutiques -- Broadway musicals -- business education and conferences
cruise ships
entertainment expos
guided adventures
hotels -- housing developments
ice shows
live action
marathons --merchandise -- musical concerts
nature preservation
on-line channels and broadcasting -- on-line gaming
publishing
Quinceaneras
radio -- recording -- retail stores -- river cruising -- road shows
shopping centers
theme parks -- transportation -- TV
vacation clubs
and weddings and honeymoons

Next time: the last of the major Hollywood film studios Paramount/Viacom/CBS and can Paramount do what the House of Mouse and Universal have done successfully so far?

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1180 on: May 13, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »

The final major Hollywood Studio and its upcoming releases for 2017.

Paramount/Viacom/CBS

05/25 Baywatch
06/21 Transformers : the Last Knight
10/13 mother
10/27 2017 Clover field Movie
11/03 Suburbican
11/10 Daddy's Home 2
12/22 Downsizing

And can Paramount do successfully what the House of Mouse and Universal have done? And that is build a successful theme park, which they want to do on 82 acres in the London (U.K.) area, which they want to open in 2023.

For London (U.K.)
It seems to be a win win situation. Even if they have to offer tax incentives to Paramount, if it is worded correctly, even tax revenue lost should be made up by a tax gain in the temporary construction jobs + the jobs needed to operate the theme park + the taxes generated by the thousands of guests expected to visit the theme park each day.

For Paramount
It seems more of a bad news/good news situation.

The bad news is the cost.
62 years ago you could build an entire theme park for a few million $. Now that few million is unlikely to build even one ride or attraction, since you are now talking about in the billions of $.  And where will Paramount get the money, and since there has been talk of spinning off entirely CBS, which is the most profitable part of the company, it'll be even harder to find the money to build the theme park.

The good news is that while Paramount does not have has many franchises to its bow as House of Mouse or Universal, it does have more than I thought. And they include . . .
Baywatch -- Mission Impossible -- Nickelodeon -- SpongeBob Square pants -- Star Trek -- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles -- and Transformers.
All of which can be converted into rides and attractions.

And we shall see what we shall see in 2023.

Next time: who is the biggest bat of them all
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #1181 on: May 14, 2017, 06:50:02 PM »

Next time: who is the biggest bat of them all

AoTFan

« Reply #1182 on: May 16, 2017, 06:24:30 PM »

In olden times, they'd have open meat markets where people sell lambs and pigs and such.  A person who could come by, negotiate a price and then their purchase would be placed in a bag.  Sometimes though some unscrupulous salesmen would switch out the purchase for a bag containing another animal, like a cat.  Thus came the phrase "letting the cat out of the bag".
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1183 on: May 21, 2017, 01:40:34 PM »

Who is the biggest Bat of them all?

Excluding the Legos Batman, here are the 6 actors who have played Batman on the big screen.
The Batman listed is the original Batman from the comic books.
And the measurements are given in centimeters and kilograms, because the lists originated in the U.K.

Height
193 cm. Ben Affleck
188 cm. Batman
188 cm. Adam West
183 cm. Christian Bale
183 cm. Val Kilmer
180 cm. George Clooney
178 cm. Michael Keaton

Weight
98 kg. Ben Affleck
95 kg. Batman
93 kg. Val Kilmer
91 kg. Adam West
82 kg. Christian Bale
78 kg. George Clooney
72 kg. Michael Keaton

Next time: horror + boy scouts = a match made in Hollywood heaven.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1184 on: May 22, 2017, 06:57:33 AM »

06/02 Captain Underpants
(and a congratulations to Trevor, who as a member of this board, is the 1st one to get his own film)

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle Thumbup

11/22 Murder on the Orient Express
(normally, this is something I'd see, but I've already seen it twice, the theatrical version in 1974 and the TV version, so I lack interest in seeing it a 3rd time)

Bluesad Bluesad

NOOOOO: that was the film which got me started in and liking films: which idiot went and remade that?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:33:31 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.