Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:46:35 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (2009)  (Read 3828 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: March 08, 2011, 03:37:48 PM »

Small | Large

There are of course many wild and wonderful whites in West Virginia, I guess, I've never been there, but this refers to a family named White. Specifically, the huge extended clan of Jesco White, aka
Dancin Outlaw Small | Large
of the 1991 documentary of the same name. That documentary was colorful and sometimes dark, this one is dark and sometimes colorful. Wether they are wonderful or not is highly debatable, but they are certainly wild.

There is a little bit of the famous mountain tap dancing from Dancin Outlaw in this but it's mainly the Jerry Springer / Cops / Intervention esque lifestyle of the Whites. We most often observe them in their preferred mode: partying!  which in the White family is usually some combination of listening to country music, smoking pot, snorting coke and swearing and carrying on. Unfortunately, with fun and merriment of this nature there is often trouble just around the corner. Thats really an understatement here. There's a line between colorful and crazy and SCARY and crazy and we're taken back and forth across it numerous times. The idea of self control of any kind is a joke.

At any rate, that's the life of a White, in good times or bad, it's all one long rampage.

This is a Dickhouse production and it has some of the trademarks of their flagship enterprise Jackass. It kind of reminded me of old school reality tv, when everything was about being raw and shocking instead of being all about editing and "drama" like now. You could write a book about the social and political implications in this thing, from the fact that half of them are on assistance for imaginary ailments, to the fact that they are coal miners several generations deep to the more obvious Winter's Bone-y drug issues. It's a wild and often ugly ride and parts of it are likely to  p**s you off regardless of where you are on the political spectrum and how open minded you are. and you can be assured the Whites don't give a s**t !

5/5
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:08:04 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:51:03 PM »

I caught this the other night and loved it (is LOVED really the right word?).  It was really fascinating and occasionally enfuriating in a weird way.  In particular - SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT:  the scene when one of the Whites gives birth and then snorts what appears to be cocaine right there in the hospital room in front of the baby!  (an interview that I heard with Johnny Knoxville on Opie and Anthony yesterday revealed that she was actually snorting ground up painkillers).  I now need to seek out 'Dancin Outlaw'...

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 04:02:09 PM »

dancin outlaw is much lighter.

yeah as far as that scene, regardless of the substance I don't know that snorting anything in that situation is really all that acceptable /normal?
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 04:38:23 PM »

There's a part of me that is fascinated to see this, and a part that is already mortified without having see a single frame. I've been hearing about it lots.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 05:37:59 PM »

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=3154.0

ancient thread on Dancin Outlaw started by me under old alias
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 10:40:14 AM »

yeah as far as that scene, regardless of the substance I don't know that snorting anything in that situation is really all that acceptable /normal?

Yep, I was filled with a combination of fascination and contempt (a common combination in this movie).

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=3154.0

ancient thread on Dancin Outlaw started by me under old alias

Lester? Mr Raffles!!  Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:41:40 AM »

DANCING OUTLAW was one of the most bizarre doc I've ever seen. I'll have to look for this.

The other end of the 'White Trash' genre of documentaries is the extremely despressing ans disturbing BROTHER'S KEEPER (1992). It's about four middle aged rural New York brothers who are all illiterate and live together on the old family farm in a shack, sleeping in the same bed. One of them who is near death with cancer dies, and it is suspected one of his brothers killed him out of mercy. The brothers are exposed to the outside world for the first time during the murder trial.

The scene where one of them is literally paralysed with fear on the witness stand is one of the saddest and most disturbing things I've ever seen in a movie - and I've seen lots of disturbing movies.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 01:53:09 PM »

I never saw Brothers keeper but I remember the promos for it. seemed very disturbing

trevor - indeed. amateur cracksman and champion cricketer

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.