Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:54:10 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  My State's Schools Are Shutting Down « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: My State's Schools Are Shutting Down  (Read 17574 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: February 17, 2011, 10:18:28 PM »

Apparently, it is in protest over our new governor's new budget battle.  Tomorrow, all of the public schools in my city here in Central Wisconsin are closing.  I'm hoping the University is shutting down as well so I can spend the day at home, but that's more of personal reasons.  Here's the articles:

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/116389714.html

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/article/20110217/WDH0101/110217009/Update-Mosinee-schools-closed-after-teachers-call-in-sick-

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/17/wisconsin.budget/index.html?hpt=Sbin

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 11:07:59 AM »

Millions are out of work and they're protesting BENEFIT cuts. lol what's a benefit.

Reagan would have known what to do with these people.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:23:36 PM »

Millions are out of work and they're protesting BENEFIT cuts. lol what's a benefit.

Yeah-he'd of sent in the National Guard and beat there commie pinko heads in! Dam hippie punks!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 05:41:21 PM »

no he'd have fired them!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »

Yeah-he'd of sent in the National Guard and beat there commie pinko heads in! Dam hippie punks!

There are times when I wish I could give you karma. BounceGiggle

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 10:59:30 AM »

http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2011/02/18/wisconsin-the-hemlock-revolution/

"in the middle east, the protesters are marching for democracy; in the middle west, they’re protesting against it.”
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 05:16:21 PM »

I live in wisconsin and many of these teachers just are not willing to accept that they have to pay for their insurance and other benefits just like the rest of us. Their not losing their jobs like millions of others have, just have to pay for their benefits like the rest.

Smells like popcorn and shame
BTM

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 08:14:56 PM »

What's really funny about that situation (IMHO) is that the people voted in candidates who OPENLY said, "Hey, we're gonna take on the Unions!" and now that said candidates are in power, the remaining democrats are HIDING so they can stall the vote.  

HIDING.  

Gee, is that how the system works?  When the opposition gets voted in, you can go, "Well, screw what the people want!  We're not letting you change anything!"

Wonder if the Daily Show and Colbert are going to mock this any, or if they're going to take to the other sides defense.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/wisconsin-democrats-hide-vote/2011/02/17/id/386507
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:32:13 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:08:11 PM »

well ya its childish what the Dems are doing. If you don't like it then vote no, or is being cowardly more important than the people your supposed to represent. And what these teachers have done, in regards to our children is reprehensible. Its there job to teach our children, not to go on some half assed strike.
Look Walker might be arrogant and a bit of a ass, but he's doing exactly what he said he was going to do and its something that the people wanted. Im expecting a lot of big changes in store for my state in the upcoming years.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Barack Clinton
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 05:06:52 AM »

There's a lot of BS on this thread, so let me bring in a shovel.

1. The teachers will accept pay and benefit concessions but will NOT accept having trhier union gutted. That's the real issue, gutting unions so as to make corporations even more powerful.

2. The koch brothers are behind this, and they want a de unionized america so as to be able to treat all workers like, essentially, slaves.

3. Out of the 10 biggest contributors to political campaigns, 7 are corporations who support republicans, The other 3 are unions who support democrats. Thia union busting is about destroying the democratic financial base and turning america into a republican dominated nation. I'm sure some of you here would welcome that. Would you welcome the end of all protection and rights for working people too?

4. The teabaggers have been screaming "HITLER!!!" and "NAZIS!!!" for 3 years now at anyone who disagreed with them.  Well, what major political factions in the 20th century abolished working people's labor unions?

The nazi party, Stalinist russia and chairman mao's revolution.

5. The democrats who have left the state are doing what the republicans have been doing for 2 years: Using every trick they could to block the other party. Unless you complained when republicans pulled every trick in the book to block votes or even hearings on every issue possible, keep your mouth shut about the democrats doing this in wisconisn.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 08:51:11 AM »

My gawd,Barack,I consider myself a liberal-but you obviously have an agenda here. So-whats your thoughts on THE GIANT CLAW? Or BRIDE OF THE MONSTER? I think your a political spammer.
Whoa! What I am saying??? I LOVE SPAM!!!!

Small | Large
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:54:33 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 10:38:05 AM »

I support the union's protests 100%.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:54:49 AM by Nukie 2 » Logged

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »

That's the real issue, gutting unions so as to make corporations even more powerful.

They aren't paid by corporations they are paid by taxpayers.

The koch brothers are behind this, and they want a de unionized america so as to be able to treat all workers like, essentially, slaves

they aren't "behind" it. The people of Wisonsin elected Walker because he has a history of doing exactly this.

http://www.ongo.com/v/441164/-1/F146BBCA866C61F9/wisconsin-gov-scott-walker-has-history-of-going-up-against-unions

Out of the 10 biggest contributors to political campaigns, 7 are corporations who support republicans, The other 3 are unions who support democrats.

It has nothing to do with any of that. They aren't doing this for sport, they have budget shortfall. They have to cut costs.

Why should taxpayers, many of whom have had their benefits totally collapse if they even HAVE a job, pay for people to enjoy a higher standard of living than them in the midst of a recession??  or ever?

It's a common sense cut.

. The democrats who have left the state are doing what the republicans have been doing for 2 years: Using every trick they could to block the other party. Unless you complained when republicans pulled every trick in the book to block votes or even hearings on every issue possible, keep your mouth shut about the democrats doing this in wisconisn.

I'm a libertarian and constantly criticize republicans, ask any of them on this board. Two wrongs don't make a right in any case.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 11:31:59 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 01:06:54 PM »

They aren't paid by corporations they are paid by taxpayers.

I think they mean't how the presence of unions actually increases wages for non-union workers, as it forces employers to pay more in order to keep their workers.

they aren't "behind" it. The people of Wisonsin elected Walker because he has a history of doing exactly this.

http://www.ongo.com/v/441164/-1/F146BBCA866C61F9/wisconsin-gov-scott-walker-has-history-of-going-up-against-unions

Hmmm, the article doesn't really show counter-protests or that much support for the governor.

"Although the protesters have been very rowdy, very one sided on what legislators are hearing, there's a silent majority out there that spoke on November 2, said, you know, we have to (head the state) in the right direction to put our fiscal house in order. So that's what we're going to do. It's very difficult but you know that's what we're set out to do and hopefully." - Republican Assembly Speaker Jeff Fitzgerald

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/wisconsin-democrats-hide-vote/2011/02/17/id/386507

But really, this talk of a "silent majority" means absolutely nothing-- it's hearsay. For all we that majority voted republican because they thought the republican actually had a plan and would stick to it. But if Gov. Walker sends in the national guard people are going to change their minds.

It has nothing to do with any of that. They aren't doing this for sport, they have budget shortfall. They have to cut costs.

They want to gut collective bargaining, this is the very essence of a unions ability to negotiate.

Why should taxpayers, many of whom have had their benefits totally collapse if they even HAVE a job, pay for people to enjoy a higher standard of living than them in the midst of a recession??  or ever?

First off we're supposedly in stages in economic recovery-- what the hell good are austerity measures when the wealthy and businesses aren't and haven't been investing in expansion of capital. The only reason why theres been any growth is due to pent-up demand.
So why push the burden onto workers and not the few wealthy, who with their speculation caused the recession and had their asses bailed with workers' tax-dollars. This tax-shifting doesn't make the wealthy more prone to  ingenuity to create jobs, no it just excuses them from having to pay back the public.

I'm a libertarian and constantly criticize republicans, ask any of them on this board. Two wrongs don't make a right in any case.

Yeah, well, you end up having to take a side for a mainstream party no matter your third-party affiliation, so saying you're not with the in- group when you ally with them doesn't really excuse you-- however the guys in the mainstream can say "oh we don't represent our non-mainstream-critical-supporter's views"; why, because they are leading and you're not. Previously you stated your praise for Ronald Reagan.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:09:24 PM by Nukie 2 » Logged

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 01:32:38 PM »

I think they mean't how the presence of unions actually increases wages for non-union workers, as it forces employers to pay more in order to keep their workers.

I don't see what that has to do with his statement:

That's the real issue, gutting unions so as to make corporations even more powerful.

these unions aren't protesting any corporation, they are protesting the governor of wisconsin. I don't se where their benefits and pensions have had any affect on those in the private sector non unionized work force. Those benefits have all but collapsed.

Hmmm, the article doesn't really show counter-protests or that much support for the governor.

Well if he wasn't popular then how did he manage to get elected to the job of governor? He is doing now what he did then. I assume he didn't create an entirely new persona for himself.

But if Gov. Walker sends in the national guard people are going to change their minds.

I don't know that they will. It wouldn't change mine.

They want to gut collective bargaining, this is the very essence of a unions ability to negotiate.

good. They public sector unions are totally corrupt. They work to elect people who will give them good deals.

They can quit if they don't like it.

First off we're supposedly in stages in economic recovery-- what the hell good are austerity measures when the wealthy and businesses aren't and haven't been investing in expansion of capital. The only reason why theres been any growth is due to pent-up demand.

lol so why not tax everyone at 100 percent and give all the money to goverment employees to spend??  There' a budget shortfall and they have to meet it. They dont' call it a correction for nothing. You cut what is causing the biggest headache in this case it's government pensions. They are driving many states to the brink of bankruptcy.

The reason there han't been growth is because its too expensive for companies to hire and the future is uncertain. Dropping tax rates and spending rates permanantly is the way to change these behaviours. The days of government centric short term fixes are over. It's what got us to where we are namely up a creek.

In our state we have a weekend where there is no sales tax and guess what, people spend more. obvious solution: end all sales tax all the time!  If you people to spend make things cheaper. and make sure they understand that this will go on for the foreseeable future so they can make long term plans around this new status quo.  

So why push the burden onto workers

we are pushing the burder off workers and onto the government, who are the ones who wasted it.

and not the few wealthy, who with their speculation caused the recession

The wealthy didn't cause the recession. How does working hard and excelling at something cause a recession?  The recession was a result of the federal reserve keeping interest rates too low for too long and purposely fueling a real estate boom. wall street and washington were joined at the hip. it had nothing to do with random wealthy people in WISCONSIN.
and had their asses bailed with workers' tax-dollars.

rich people paid for those bail outs too. The bail outs were totally wrong. Again two wrongs don't make a right. we aren't going to bail out people who work 9 months a year to make SUV payments when tens of millions are out of work. Not with my tax dollars.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:01:41 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  My State's Schools Are Shutting Down « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.