Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:00:47 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  12 Angry Men (1957) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 12 Angry Men (1957)  (Read 11020 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: February 19, 2011, 12:33:43 PM »

This is one of those films I always stop to watch.  To me its a perfect example of great acting on all parts.  The best part of it all it takes place in one room and it never gets boring.  Its also a perfect film for sociology. 

Perhaps my favorite juror throughout is the broker.  He's so damn cool and calm. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 01:40:08 PM »

This is a fantastic film, and it makes you think about how our beliefs influence what we see as the truth.  Fonda's character steadily makes his fellow jurors face the real truth, and themselves.  It is also, like you said, a great set of performances from the cast.

For a really interesting double feature, try watching both this and "Rashomon" the same night. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 06:32:43 PM »

One of my favorites.  I've seen it dozens of times and own the DVD.  Riveting.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 07:06:26 PM »

A fantastic film...one of the best of all time in my book.

I like these combinations as double features:

12 ANGRY MEN and Mr. ROBERTS

12 ANGRY MEN and THE CAINE MUTINY

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 07:17:56 PM »

I have not seen it yet, but really want to.  It looks very good and I wonder how good it can be for a movie that takes place in basically one room.  I hope its good, because most classic movies I have been seeing have felt extremely overhyped (Psycho, Blade Runner, Silence of the Lambs).

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 07:23:06 PM »

I have not seen it yet, but really want to.  It looks very good and I wonder how good it can be for a movie that takes place in basically one room.  I hope its good, because most classic movies I have been seeing have felt extremely overhyped (Psycho, Blade Runner, Silence of the Lambs).

This is definitely in a different class than the three films you mention.  However, if you do not like "12 Angry Men" when you see it, I suggest waiting about 10 years and then watching it again.  As a younger man, I did not appreciate it as I do now. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 07:30:28 PM »

This is definitely in a different class than the three films you mention.  However, if you do not like "12 Angry Men" when you see it, I suggest waiting about 10 years and then watching it again.  As a younger man, I did not appreciate it as I do now. 

And it merits specific mention for younger viewers that might be interested that this is a dialog heavy film, not 'action' driven at all.  It's strength comes from what it makes you think about portrayed via VERY strong acting performances and excellent characterization.

It's sad to me that films of this caliber are getting lost on modern audiences as being perceived as being "boring" because there are no explosions, car crashes, sex or profanity-laden quips as the good buy bests the bad guy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
The Burgomaster

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 07:47:56 PM »

This also makes a great double feature with any of the following:

* ANATOMY OF A MURDER
* WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION
* JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 07:48:46 PM »

It's sad to me that films of this caliber are getting lost on modern audiences as being perceived as being "boring" because there are no explosions, car crashes, sex or profanity-laden quips as the good buy bests the bad guy.

I agree.  I want to expand my horizons on different films and watch films of higher class than the action stuff (even if those films are fun).

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 08:04:31 PM »

One of the best films ever made. I actually teared up I actually caught myself choking up-that dont happen.And it wasnt romantic!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 08:06:13 PM »

I like, but not as much as Casablanca. Smile

yeah no.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 10:19:57 PM »

...For a really interesting double feature, try watching both this and "Rashomon" the same night. 
I think this would be an excellent double feature.  Other suggestions are sort of ham handed.   Smile
12 ANGRY MEN is a great film, driven by great performances.  It's a film about justice, and the subjectivity of truth.  RASHOMON is too.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Hammock Rider

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 12:12:52 PM »

There are some great match-ups with 12 Angry Men here. Another one might be Inherit the Wind.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 09:49:26 PM »

There are some great match-ups with 12 Angry Men here. Another one might be Inherit the Wind.
Okay, fair enough for the era, and considering the other suggestions.  (BTW I started a thread here I think just about FREDRIC MARCH's performance in INHERIT THE WIND).  But, 12 ANGRY MEN can only loosely be described as a "courtroom drama".  We are only very briefly in the courtroom.  It's a jury room drama!!   Buggedout Smile  

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
The Burgomaster

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 02:44:35 PM »

Okay, fair enough for the era, and considering the other suggestions.  (BTW I started a thread here I think just about FREDRIC MARCH's performance in INHERIT THE WIND).  But, 12 ANGRY MEN can only loosely be described as a "courtroom drama".  We are only very briefly in the courtroom.  It's a jury room drama!!   Buggedout Smile  

True, but it has the same type of electrifying dialogue and "piecing together of a mystery" as some of the coutroom dramas mentioned here.  Movies that can stay afloat on great dialogue and strong acting are a dying breed.  Most of them end up being considered "art" films and therefore get a limited theatrical release and have unimpressive box office numbers.  But I'd rather sit through 12 ANGRY MEN ten times in a row than sit through the next big budget blockbuster ten times in a row.  I find something new every time I watch 12 ANGRY MEN and other movies that celebrate good dialogue.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  12 Angry Men (1957) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.