Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:12:28 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  What's Seth McFarlene's problem? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: What's Seth McFarlene's problem?  (Read 47291 times)
66Crush
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 10:09:06 PM »

I totally agree about South Park, when they do something offensive it's always in the context of the story. Plus they don't rip on the same thing every week. Well, maybe Kyle being a Jew, but that's part of his relationship to Cartman. Kind of like George Jefferson calling Mr. Willis a honkey. Also as twisted as South Park can be, oddly enough, there is an actual sense of morality in that show. It comes down to this, some people are a holes and make jokes they don't mean, while other people are heartless a holes who make jokes and don't care.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 05:08:40 AM »

But, while I liked Family Guy initially, I prefer South Park to the umpteenth degree.  It's a vastly well written show, consistently entertaining, sometimes offensive but damn near always has a point and isn't necessarily cruel for the HELL of it.  Check out their "Cartoon Wars" episodes about Family Guy/Simpsons/King of The Hill.

I think that double episode nailed it completely. The South Park guys are completely fearless. The episodes they make have been some of the most jaw-droppingly offensive things I have ever seen, but the humor there has always been used to prove a surprisingly moralistic point.

I don't always agree with them, but they understand how to use humor to talk about controversial topics. I can't stress enough how "making it funny" changes the situation.

I have a longer post in me about the whole "depiction of Muhammad" they got up to in the same episode, but that's a different story.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »

I don't think Family Guy has been the same since it was brought back.
It was funny because it was always on the edge, now it's just going over which isn't as funny as anyone could do that.

I agree too. It was always fun to see how close they could get to the line without actually going over it.  I know the line is going to be differnet for everyone but they seem to cross it so often that it's become just cheap shock-jockery.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 01:50:51 PM »

I like both South Park and Family Guy. I do agree that Trey Parker and Matt Stone mix it up more and are just a little bit better at satire than Seth MacFarlane, but I still like both shows.

Here's what I find interesting. South Park satires everything, but tend to poke just a little bit more fun at the left. I like they're justification. They don't do it because of a political leaning, they do it because the left, by and large, seem to have a general vibe that it's not okay to make fun of them, and they're basically raising the bulls**t flag on that. Because of the ratio of left vs. right satire, it has led to a pop-culture phenomenon known as "South Park Republicans."

In contrast, Seth MacFarlane's politics are all too obvious, and he makes no apologies for it nor tries to hide it. That's fine too, he doesn't have to. There's no doubt he's trying to push buttons. What's interesting is wherever one rests on the political spectrum tends to dictate which show is more acceptable or better. I thought the Family Guy episode with the Down's Syndrome girl was disturbing and I didn't like it, but nobody can tell me that South Park hasn't been equally offensive about and number of similarly taboo subjects of satire. I don't suffer from a political affiliation that makes either show more offensive than the other, I just think the guys on South Park are marginally better at satire.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 03:55:21 PM »

Making fun of politics,celebirtys,religion,geeks,sexuality,whatever-ok. But making jokes about an incurable illness-like AIDS or cancer. It's not a matter of a politics. It's just shock for shocks sake. Thats great-in a horror film. But I dont think its funny. Its just not funny.
Actually-I dont care for Family Guy or South Park. Never have. Especially Family Guy. There are no-ZERO-likable charecters in that show. The dog mebbe.
I miss Ren and Stimpy.  Bluesad

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 04:47:58 PM »

Making fun of politics,celebirtys,religion,geeks,sexuality,whatever-ok. But making jokes about an incurable illness-like AIDS or cancer. It's not a matter of a politics. It's just shock for shocks sake. Thats great-in a horror film. But I dont think its funny. Its just not funny.
Actually-I dont care for Family Guy or South Park. Never have. Especially Family Guy. There are no-ZERO-likable charecters in that show. The dog mebbe.

I respect that, I really do. The only thing I disagree with is that ANYTHING can be funny, depending on context, and on whom is observing. I know that sounds horrible, but really, humor can be applied anywhere.

I miss Ren and Stimpy too, but some people found that show offensive and disturbing. I found it slightly disturbing myself, but then I can appreciate disturbing things. All a matter of perspective, I know.

My ex-wife had a sister with Down's Syndrome, and she was, understandably, particularly sensitive to humor aimed at anybody with a mental disability. The Family Guy episode I mentioned in my previous post? That would have sent her into several days of anger and ranting, and if I had actually laughed at a single joke in her presence I would have been in the dog-house for that same amount of time. But yet, you see humor about that kind of thing constantly in movies like The Ringer or Borat, and some people find it funny. What are ya gonna do? If we want a free society then we have to put up with the existence of such things. I like Trevor's approach. If he doesn't like something a certain movie or director or whatever represents, he doesn't watch it.

66Crush
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 05:04:36 PM »

I'm glad that this post is raising a dialogue here, because in today's society, so many people are struggling with what is insensitive, and how far do we go? Growing up in the 80's it's almost laughable now at what was controversial back then. Some religious radicals thought things I loved like "Married with Children" and Heavy Metal music were gonna bring about the fall of civilization. So I always felt like nothing could offend me, and now I find myself disturbed by a joke on a cartoon. But I do feel that people are less sensitive to violence and disease and more PC about things like race and religion. As far as sex, it's hasn't been really taboo for along time. I for one don't find it to be nearly as shocking as it used to be, but I'm a perv anyway lol.
venomx
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 05:31:29 PM »

"Hey kids, I'm Pee Pants the Inebriated Hobo Clown. I'm an adorable tramp who wears found clothing and eats out of your garbage can."

Joking aside...

IMO, I think the show should just stick with pop culture references, alot more fun.

Don't make fun of cancer.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 05:36:10 PM »

I respect that, I really do. The only thing I disagree with is that ANYTHING can be funny, depending on context, and on whom is observing. I know that sounds horrible, but really, humor can be applied anywhere.

I miss Ren and Stimpy too, but some people found that show offensive and disturbing. I found it slightly disturbing myself, but then I can appreciate disturbing things. All a matter of perspective, I know.

My ex-wife had a sister with Down's Syndrome, and she was, understandably, particularly sensitive to humor aimed at anybody with a mental disability. The Family Guy episode I mentioned in my previous post? That would have sent her into several days of anger and ranting, and if I had actually laughed at a single joke in her presence I would have been in the dog-house for that same amount of time. But yet, you see humor about that kind of thing constantly in movies like The Ringer or Borat, and some people find it funny. What are ya gonna do? If we want a free society then we have to put up with the existence of such things. I like Trevor's approach. If he doesn't like something a certain movie or director or whatever represents, he doesn't watch it.

I agree it shouldnt be censored-and like Trevor-I just wont watch it. Cancer is a very touchy subject for me. Religion and politics dint kill my wife. Cancer did. I can also see why that in the 60's many WW 2 survivoirs were upset about HOGANS HEROS. It's a personal thing with me.

"Hey kids, I'm Pee Pants the Inebriated Hobo Clown. I'm an adorable tramp who wears found clothing and eats out of your garbage can."

Joking aside...

IMO, I think the show should just stick with pop culture references, alot more fun.

Don't make fun of cancer.

Hey-I resemble that remark!  Drink

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 05:55:42 PM »

I hate both Family Guy and South Park - both just seem offensive for offensive sake to me. Don't like The Cleveland Show or American Dad either. Actually I did like Family Guy a little back in its early days but now it just seems all about upping the shock ante. Meanwhile I love The Simpsons although some episodes make me cringe (either from being so awful and unoriginal or from promoting something I'm very much against).

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 06:21:35 PM »

I like Family Guy a lot, and although it has slipped on joke material in recent years it has held up.  I'm actually surprised on how many people on this board dislike it seeing it's jokes kind of fit toward pop culture we often discuss.  

With that said the jokes about controversial subject matter has always been part of the show.  This includes suicide, paraplegics, ethnic jokes, homosexuality and yes diseases including VD, strokes, alcoholism and cancer.  Thats just naming a few.

I see the point of overusing a joke to it being runover but if you look at the show's history no topic has been off limits.  Thats why I'm hardly ever shocked at something they bring out.  

I recall at one point South Park getting massive popularity.  I watched the show for years then all of a sudden people like my 40 plus year old coworkers were talking about it.  I think eventually the guys shooed that fan base away with the whole "Who's Cartman's Father" episodes never getting a real answer.  Maybe McFarlane is doing the same now or perhaps he's just sick of doing the show period.

By the way, The Cleveland Show is not funny...not even in the least. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:24:41 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 06:44:54 PM »

Bring Back Bugs!
Yes-lots of the old cartoons relied on ethnic stero types. But they also made fun of rednecks,bluenoses,drunks...but they did it with class. SOUTH PARK is actually-at times-trying to make a political statement. FAMILY GUY is just crap.

I think the old stuff is funnier.

Small | Large

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 11:33:15 PM »

I'm a KING OF THE HILL guy myself.  Thing is, being from East Texas,
I KNOW some of those characters.  Some days I AM one of them!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 12:50:42 AM »

I'm a KING OF THE HILL guy myself.  Thing is, being from East Texas,
I KNOW some of those characters.  Some days I AM one of them!

I'm in the same boat as you. KOTH, believe it or not was funny, but realistic as well and taught you about life. The show could have been a friggin sitcom  Smile

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 10:01:54 AM »

Bring Back Bugs!
Yes-lots of the old cartoons relied on ethnic stero types. But they also made fun of rednecks,bluenoses,drunks...but they did it with class. SOUTH PARK is actually-at times-trying to make a political statement. FAMILY GUY is just crap.

I think the old stuff is funnier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-k5J4RxQdE

I LOVE the old Warner Bros. cartoons. It seems hard to find them on DVD or through NetFlix without the actual funny stuff edited out of them to "protect our children."

I actually disagree that South Park is trying to make political statements. They're actually not about that. They're much more on the social commentary tip, I think. Yes, they do fit in some political commentary as well, but it's far more social. They don't really take a political stance. Family Guy is more about making political points than South Park.

But it's perfectly okay for you not to like the show, or Family Guy for that matter. I like 'em both.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  What's Seth McFarlene's problem? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.