Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:03:36 PM
713369 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Mecha-Blog-Zilla's latest review: "Nukie" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mecha-Blog-Zilla's latest review: "Nukie"  (Read 2445 times)
TheDope
Movie Reviewer And Professional Nit-Picking Geek
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Gone but not forgotten... well, KINDA forgotten.

« on: February 22, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »

This is it: the movie that made Steve Railsback wish he were an obscure actor all over again.

The movie that made Glynnis Johns take up holy orders just so she could break them.

The movie that made every actor in it go back their day jobs.

It is Nukie and if you watch it, then you will want to declare war against the universe as a whole.  I know I do.

Read this and say goodbye to your respectability!

TheDope: bringing the conversation to a grinding halt since 2002.
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 10:13:40 PM »

I Read it and laughed!  BounceGiggle

My favorite bits:
There's chase scenes to spare, lots of stock footage of wild animals, a musical sequence or two, white dots moving across postcards of outer space and various Earth panoramas and fast-motion scenes of African tribal hunters running around, a la Benny Hill, BUT when you couple all for this with scenes where Railsback and Johns have lukewarm heart-to-heart talks about whatever, heartless scientists being heartless to ugly aliens, and depressing scenes of expressionless aliens dripping snot, mucus and various fluids from every available orifice while squealing like pigs cross-bred with prunes, the Spielbergian sense of wonder is gone. Instead, the only wonder associated with Nukie is, "I wonder what kind of weird psychedelic head trip the guys who did this thing were on?"

And speaking of the actors, I remember when Steve Railsback was in his heyday in the Seventies and illuminated the small screen with his electrifying performance as Charles Manson in the made-for-TV film "Helter Skelter". Then again in 1980 when he shone brightly in that wonderfully artistic stunner The Stunt Man. I mean, he was quite literally lauded all over the place for a breakout performance against the likes of Peter O'Toole. That was such a loooong time ago.

What about Johns, though? She was in such classics as The 49th Parallel, Mary Poppins, The Sword and the Rose, Rob Roy The Highland Rogue, The Court Jester and Around the World in Eighty Days. But like everyone else, she fell on hard times after a while and took a job wherever she could get one. Apparently it's a toss-up as to whether she thought she was in a comedy or a drama, judging from her performance which teeters dangerously between doddering dottiness and grim talkings-to.

At one time they were both their respective darlings of their respective cinemas but Nukie contained some pretty high hurdle to clear. Some people make it over such hurdles, some clip the bar, other times still the runners stumble. This, however, was a race run in scuba flippers.
(emphasis mine)

Nothing about this film comes even close to hitting the tone of E.T. - heck, they don't even reach a Mac and Me vibe. How did something like this go so wrong and fail so completely? I'll tell you exactly why: because Odendal, Pakleppa and Taylor saw E.T., came up with a cute title, then completely forgot to do anything original once they got past the "hey, let's make a movie" stage. Nukie is a product of people who not only didn't care about what they were making but made darned sure no one else involved cared and that no one who watched it would care, either.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
TheDope
Movie Reviewer And Professional Nit-Picking Geek

Gone but not forgotten... well, KINDA forgotten.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 11:57:41 PM »

Nukie 2: well, THERE you are!   TeddyR

Thanks for not only reading it but also liking AND quoting the review!  I knew if there were anyone on this board who would read this particular review it'd be you.   Cheers

- TGWD

TheDope: bringing the conversation to a grinding halt since 2002.
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »

Nukie 2: well, THERE you are!   TeddyR

Thanks for not only reading it but also liking AND quoting the review!  I knew if there were anyone on this board who would read this particular review it'd be you.   Cheers

- TGWD

His Eminence, Sias Odendaal would be very proud of you!

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Mecha-Blog-Zilla's latest review: "Nukie" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.