Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:44:34 PM
714314 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Barber Shops « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Barber Shops  (Read 6409 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: February 24, 2011, 07:40:14 AM »

Back in the day, I used to get my haircut by a barber one town over.  I was always excited to get my haircut.  The barber was always chatty with his patrons and although I never talked much he'd chat it up with my mother. At the end he'd always give me a pop.  Often while waiting for my haircut I'd watch him give the men a shave with the straight razor.  I thought it was cool how he sharpened it up with the leather strap.  I often dreamed of the day when I could get a shave like big guys.

Sadly the American barber shop in my area seemed to fade away for a bit during the last 10 to 20 years.  A lot of places were run out of business by the big time hair salon.  Barbers were replaced with "stylists" and the good old fashioned music played at the barbers was replaced with annoying techno.  Plus it seemed like the "stylists" could hardly ever get the damn haircut right.  Unlike the barber who was always on.

HOWEVER, I am glad to say all American barber shops have seemed to returned in my area full force.  It brings back a nostalgic feeling which makes me smile.  Theres one in town that is a virtual "mans town".  All chairs have a TV set in front of them and they have several items on the walls that reminds me of that old barber shop in town.  And yes, they get the haircut right.  The only problem is although they do offer hot towel shaves, its 20 bucks extra!!!  I recall the old barber that used to my hair giving a complimentary shave with all haircuts.  Oh well, theres no such thing as perfection.

What about your area?  Do you have barber shops or salons?  What memories do you have (if any) of old barber shops growing up?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:17:47 AM »

Back in the day, I used to get my haircut by a barber one town over.  I was always excited to get my haircut.  The barber was always chatty with his patrons and although I never talked much he'd chat it up with my mother. At the end he'd always give me a pop.  Often while waiting for my haircut I'd watch him give the men a shave with the straight razor.  I thought it was cool how he sharpened it up with the leather strap.  I often dreamed of the day when I could get a shave like big guys.

Sadly the American barber shop in my area seemed to fade away for a bit during the last 10 to 20 years.  A lot of places were run out of business by the big time hair salon.  Barbers were replaced with "stylists" and the good old fashioned music played at the barbers was replaced with annoying techno.  Plus it seemed like the "stylists" could hardly ever get the damn haircut right.  Unlike the barber who was always on.

HOWEVER, I am glad to say all American barber shops have seemed to returned in my area full force.  It brings back a nostalgic feeling which makes me smile.  Theres one in town that is a virtual "mans town".  All chairs have a TV set in front of them and they have several items on the walls that reminds me of that old barber shop in town.  And yes, they get the haircut right.  The only problem is although they do offer hot towel shaves, its 20 bucks extra!!!  I recall the old barber that used to my hair giving a complimentary shave with all haircuts.  Oh well, theres no such thing as perfection.

What about your area?  Do you have barber shops or salons?  What memories do you have (if any) of old barber shops growing up?

In my hometown of Gwelo in the then Rhodesia we had this rather excitable Spanish barber named Alex who would constantly yank my head up or down so that he could get at the hairs under my collar and would also tell me "SEEEETT STEEEEEEL!" My Dad took me to another barber when Alex was away on leave and when he returned and saw what a mess the other barber had made of my hair, he asked "Who cut thees 'air? Was eet old man? Old man cut hair like sheet!" The end ~ spilt ends, actually  Wink ~ for Alex and I came one fine day when he yanked my head up a little too hard in front of my Dad and the barber received a slap in the face for his trouble.  Buggedout

On the subject of hair, 5th March is the Cansa Shavathon day so I will be minus all my hair on that Saturday and for the next few months. A good cause, so what the hell.  Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:40:06 AM »

Mine needs to be cut weekly, which gets expensive.  Some years ago we bought a decent electric kit and Katie shears me every week.  I do remember going to the barber shop with my father when I was younger.  It was a little shop in town, with the barber pole out front and two older men who were the barbers.  They were classic barbers, talking about whatever while providing a haircut and/or shave.  I don't believe that the shop is still in business.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:07:35 AM »

On the subject of hair, 5th March is the Cansa Shavathon day so I will be minus all my hair on that Saturday and for the next few months. A good cause, so what the hell.  Thumbup

Pictures? TongueOut

Anyway, I've always gotten my haircut from my parents, with a cheap Braun razor.  I had the same haircut from the age of 8 until I was 17.  Now, I've finally had the money to go to a "barber shop" (hair salon Lookingup ) and I'm able to get a new hair-do. TeddyR
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:39:31 AM »

Oh, man, I miss barber shops. I've been shaving my own head for years, but of course when I was in the military I went to the barber pretty much once a paycheck. It's definately a man thing. There was a filipino barber at the barber shop at the Damneck Naval base in Virginia that would always do the neck and shoulder massage after the haircut. Nothing gay about it, just a common thing with filipino barbers from what I understand, and if you're in the Navy long enough, eventually you'll run into that filipino barber that gives the quick neck and shoulder massage.

I've never gotten a shave at the barber, but I've always wanted to try it. I understand most barbers will do a head shave as well.

That's it. I got a semi-formal shindig coming up with the wife in a couple of weeks. I'll have to visit the barber for a complete shave.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Hammock Rider

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 09:57:02 AM »

In our neighborhood we had a barber named Frank. Frank was a bit "easy-going" where ethics were concerned and would hint that he was connected to the Mob. He'd always ask if you needed anything and if you did, he'd have a guy. I don't know if he was some kind of fence or if he just sold some hot items out of his back room, but you could get all kinds of electronics from Frank with no questions asked. Every now and then shady looking characters would just walk in and out of his back room, usually without more than a head nod to Frank. I never bought anything from him because I was afraid I'd owe the Mob "a favor". Hey I was just a kid.

The best part of all this was that he was the near spitting image of Sheldon Leonard.

"Just a little off the top, Nick."

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 10:23:47 AM »

For a while, back when I needed haircuts, I would go to this little shop in the city that had been around since the 1950s, and still had a lot of the original decor. It was like stepping back in time. One chair, no appointments, just grab a seat and read the paper until he gets to you. He was always busy. I used to go there because this guy gave the best flattops around. Bare clippers on the back and sides, very high and tight, and nicely blended with the top, which was square and precise, with an optional landing strip. At the end, he'd clean up around the back and the ears with a straight razor. Just a master of the craft.

Haven't needed any kind of professional styling in years, though. Just my trusty Mach 3 in the shower. But I do occasionally think I'd like to find a place that still does straight razor shaves, with the hot towel and everything, and just try it once. Face and head, of course. I've heard it's very relaxing.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 11:07:02 AM »

For a while, back when I needed haircuts, I would go to this little shop in the city that had been around since the 1950s, and still had a lot of the original decor. It was like stepping back in time. One chair, no appointments, just grab a seat and read the paper until he gets to you. He was always busy. I used to go there because this guy gave the best flattops around. Bare clippers on the back and sides, very high and tight, and nicely blended with the top, which was square and precise, with an optional landing strip. At the end, he'd clean up around the back and the ears with a straight razor. Just a master of the craft.

Haven't needed any kind of professional styling in years, though. Just my trusty Mach 3 in the shower. But I do occasionally think I'd like to find a place that still does straight razor shaves, with the hot towel and everything, and just try it once. Face and head, of course. I've heard it's very relaxing.

There are very few barbers that can to a great flattop. I had a buddy in high school who was into 50's stuff and loved getting flattops. He said there was only one barber he knew of that did it properly. He did it complete with the butch wax and everything.

There's just something very cool about barbers.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »

My mother used to bribe me to get a haircut by buying me comic books.  I think the going rate for the bribe was 3 comics.  This is back when they were 20 or 25 cents apiece.  I figure my mother got away pretty cheaply.  Now, my head is shaved and I do it myself.  I can't remember the last time I was in a barber shop.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Raffine

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 12:14:29 PM »

I go to a great little traditional barber shop in downtown. It even has a working shoe shine stand where you often see ancient lawyers and such getting a polish from the equally ancient shoe shine guy. You can't make an appointment - you walk in and sign a list, and they get to you when they get to you. They finish off the your cut with a real straight razor to the back of the neck and an offer to trim your eybrows.

It has great, old fashioned atmosphere but the it's actually only been around for a few years. Funny thing is you often see and hear tours going by and the guide making up some nonsense about how the business has been there for generations!

Right next door is a tiny deli with great sandwiches, hot dogs, and malts. After getting a cut I always reward myself for being a good boy with a large chocolate malt.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 12:17:12 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Paquita

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 01:11:10 PM »

There's all kinds of barber shops around here.  There used to be one right around the corner that had a suit of armor outside while it was open, but I think the barber died and it closed.  The empty shop is still there though.  There's another a little bit farther down the street that has framed naked lady art on the walls!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 01:35:43 PM »

There's another a little bit farther down the street that has framed naked lady art on the walls!

Ain't a damn thing wrong with that!  TeddyR

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 01:53:25 PM »

So, how many guys with shaved heads are there on this board anyway? The subject has come up, but I don't think we've ever gotten a complete count. There have to be at least four or five board regulars who keep shaved, and more who have done it occasionally or just once.

Keep in mind that by my definition, nothing is shaved if you haven't used a razor on it.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 01:59:43 PM »

So, how many guys with shaved heads are there on this board anyway? The subject has come up, but I don't think we've ever gotten a complete count. There have to be at least four or five board regulars who keep shaved, and more who have done it occasionally or just once.

Keep in mind that by my definition, nothing is shaved if you haven't used a razor on it.

I'm curious too. I would recommend a new thread, fellow baldy.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 03:59:03 PM »

When I was a little kid, Mom would take me to some relative of ours who owned a barber shop.  Usually my Grandpa would go at the same time too.  Kind of one of those warm fuzzy memories lol.

Now I go to Cost Cutters.  The girl who cuts my hair does a fair job, nothing I've ever been impressed with, but not hideous either.  She laughs really loud, I dunno, she might be drunk.  I used to have this great barber - a guy in his mid twenties, total tech geek, we'd talk about PlayStation games the whole time   TeddyR  He must have quit or moved away or something.  

My wife cut my hair a few times.  We don't do that any more.  I sort of looked like Purdy from the New Avengers.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 04:11:30 PM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Barber Shops « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.