Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:10:20 PM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Crawlspace (made for tv 1972) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Crawlspace (made for tv 1972)  (Read 922 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: February 25, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »

Not quite great but really pretty close.

I don't know what happened to made for tv movies. The only ones I can think of are the ones on Lifetime and those Hallmark things they have, neither of which I would ever watch. I saw a good british one a while ago. I guess Sci Fi is sort of carrying the torch for them, but those are too sciency for me.

A weird guy befriends two lonely old people out in the sticks somewhere. Unbeknownst to them he is living in their crawlspace. They don't have much going on so they are like what the hell. Their relationship progresses and they become like family even though he still lives in the crawlspace, but the small town a***oles don't take kindly to him (he goes out at night) and him being a weirdo he can't really deal with it too well. So, as it turns out a stranger living in your crawlspace isn't as cool as you would think.

The lead guy is awesome and very convincing. The emotional attachment the woman feels for him, even though he is a large strange man who broke into and is living in her crawlspace, is great and the whole scenerio is easily a metaphor for failure to launch sons and moms, the  risks and rewards of charity, etc. Also: crawlspace crawlspace crawlspace crawlspace

If I had one criticism its that not only are the townsfolk really stereotypical townsfolk, the weirdy is a stereotypical weirdy. It feels just a tad dumbed down here. Granted, at 74 minutes there is not much room for subtlety.

Also, this is the second movie I've seen this week where the prodigal son type character is really really good at chopping wood and chops the crap out of it splitting great elephantine logs in one bunyon esque smash with steam coming out of his ears due to his lifes travails. Otherwise useless guys who couldn't make it in the real world are good for something, just make sure they put the axe back afterwords. got it.

The reproduction quality is not great thugh not as bad as the youtube version below. It looks probably alot like it looked on tv in 1972. There are extras or anything though there is the funky cover design.

4.5/5 I really liked it

Small | Large

^clip. you can watch the whole thing on youtube but it has an annoying chirping sound the whole time.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:45:37 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 12:53:30 PM »

The lead actor in Crawlspace was none other than Klaus Kinski, father of actress Nastassia who played alongside Malcolm McDowall in the 1980 remake of Cat People.

Kinski also played in a Euro horror film in the early 70's called Creature With The Blue Hand and he's done a myriad of other films before his passing some time ago.

I too remember Crawlspace, and have seen it a few times.

And, it may be the possible influence on another similar and good film of that time called Bad Ronald. 

Be it these movies, or the somewhat dated Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, there's no question that the 70's ruled when it came to TV horror movies (or any kind of movie at all.)

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:55:27 PM »

different Crawlspace. That one was from 86.
Paquita
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 01:56:11 PM »

I've seen both Crawlspaces and I like Klaus Kinski's better.  Ew! I just said I liked Klaus Kinski's crawlspace!

The '72 one made me sad.  I don't like seeing old people sad.  And yeah, the stereotypical townsfolk are just irritating.  I would prefer that they all live happily ever after.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 02:00:38 PM »

I liked them both. The 72 one was relatively depressing. Its been a while since I saw the 86 Crawlspace but I remember a scene where a girl with 80's hair was playing a really cheesy ballad at a piano? It was kind of like a Masters of Horror episode or Creepshow or something. short, stylized.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Crawlspace (made for tv 1972) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.