Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:37:19 PM
714362 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  And so a generation ends. Frank Buckles, last US WWI vet dies. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: And so a generation ends. Frank Buckles, last US WWI vet dies.  (Read 4156 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: February 28, 2011, 07:48:56 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41821018/

Frank Buckles, America's last veteran of the Great War (World War I) died yesterday at the age of 110.  I find myself deeply saddened by this event, even though I never met the man.  The Great War is the most fascinating conflict in history for me, and I had the great good fortune to interview a number of surviving veterans back in the 1990's. These men lived through a terrible, terrible time in the history of the world, and came back to tell  their tales.  Now only the history books tell their story.  It is a part of the cycle of the ages, but I am still depressed at the thought that all those bright young men who set out so boldly "to make the world safe for democracy" are now gone.

May they rest in peace.
May their sacrifice never bear repeating.

1914-1918
Lest we forget.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:32:24 PM »

That was the biggest news item I saw today as well.  RIP sir, and well done.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:55:46 PM »

Let's not forget the World War II generation either!  They will all be gone in the next 25 years.  One of my personal heroes and good friends:

Harry Thompson!  Made his first sky dive at age 92, now 97 and still going strong!
Author of "Patton's Ill-Fated Raid," former POW, and simply an awesome human being.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 11:17:58 PM »

Wow, this is sad, but inevitable, news.  Some things should not be forgotten - ever.  This is why "tradition" is important.  Does each generation have to learn EVERYTHING for itself?

As for WWII vets: my grandfather fought in WWII, and I remember some of the stories he used to tell me as a small boy.  The key gist I recall is thinking, even at a young age, I hope no one ever has to do THAT again.  It was not overly graphic or morbid...just, uh, intense.

For a short while, we attended a very small church in which one of the regular ushers was a Pearl Harbor survivor.  He was a very nice, unassuming guy...but you could tell he walked each step with those memories.

I highly recommend the movie PAPER CLIPS if for no other reason than to hear the comments of the concentration camp survivors.  Timewise, it's a small part of the film, but very moving.

My mother's grandparents were Jewish and immigrated to the US.  Though we don't know them, she still has relatives "over there" and some who probably perished in the camps.  My Mom is getting on in years and suffers dementia, so we recently took the opportunity for her to tell, while she can, what she remembers about December 7, 1941 to my children.  She cannot remember what she had for breakfast on any given day, but she sure remembers that...she was one month shy of 11 years old.

I am now going to raise a glass and to say a prayer for Frank Buckles.  Godspeed to you, sir, and thank-you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 12:43:28 AM »

I don't know what to say...to think that the last survivor of the first great conflict
of the 20th century is now gone, after living all these decades, and witnessing so many changes, is just something too powerful for words to describe.

I guess I'll just say what's in my heart and mind:

A truly remarkable person has left us today, the last of his kind.   And as his watch ends, let the rest and everlasting peace he sought on Earth now welcome him in Heaven.

He is no longer old, he is no longer sick, but stands eternally tall and proud once more alongside his old unit and his buddies, as he did the very first time he set his iron sights on the enemies of America as they pursued the enemies of freedom, and won.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Buckles. The Eagle now opens Her Great Wings for one more, and a very special one at that. You, the last of Our Great Warriors.

I raise my glass to you and say proudly, "God Bless."  Cheers

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 03:13:16 AM »

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/Last-American-World-War-I-Veteran-Dies-117100373.html

He was 110, and was in good health 'til near the end of his days (he was still well enough to be interviewed in the latter half of 2010).  What more can one say?

There are only two World War I vets left...  One, Claude Choules, likely doesn't have much time left as his health is evidently declining.  Choules was married for 80 years (!) until his wife died, and has 36 descendants living at the moment.  He also saw the German fleet surrender.

Amazingly enough, the last veteran of the Great War may end up being a woman, the other surviving Veteran being Florence Green of Britain. 
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 06:12:32 AM »

Very nice. I'm so glad he was honored and remebered in his lifetime.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 09:46:15 AM »

Sadly, very few people talk about or pay much attention to the Great War. WWII gets all the coverage, attention, shows on History Channel, etc. I'll admit myself I don't know nearly as much about that war as the latter.

I was watching All Quiet on the Western Front recently with Ernest Borgnine and was thinking how little I know about that war.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 12:04:44 PM »

Turely sad as has been mentioned.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 01:05:45 PM »

Sadly, very few people talk about or pay much attention to the Great War. WWII gets all the coverage, attention, shows on History Channel, etc. I'll admit myself I don't know nearly as much about that war as the latter.

I was watching All Quiet on the Western Front recently with Ernest Borgnine and was thinking how little I know about that war.

Here's a bit to go on..

WW1 was, in many ways, a continuation of the Franco-Prussian War in 1871, with the bitter rivalry of German and France as the reason for the war, mostly the French defeat at Sedan.

And, IF I have my facts straight, WW1 started when German archduke Ferdinand and his wife, Princess Sophie of Hohnberg, were assassinated in 1914 by Eastern European nationalists looking to wrest control of Austro-Hungary from the German empire (and by extension, Eastern Europe as well.)

The French, imho, were THE reason for WW2.  Why? Because they totally destroyed the German people thru the Treaty Of Versailles when Germany surrendered.  Germans were starving, broke, and at the mercy of France and Belgium, who officially began a campaign of abuse and retribution against the German people as they took everything they had "out on trade" for their inability to meet the insane and unattainable demands of France.

And to be fair, several world powers, including America, Britian and the Russians warned the French about what they were doing, but they continued unabated.  France created the state of desperation and anger that was (among other things) one of the biggest reasons the door for WW2 was left open.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »

Here's a bit to go on..

WW1 was, in many ways, a continuation of the Franco-Prussian War in 1871, with the bitter rivalry of German and France as the reason for the war, mostly the French defeat at Sedan.

And, IF I have my facts straight, WW1 started when German archduke Ferdinand and his wife, Princess Sophie of Hohnberg, were assassinated in 1914 by Eastern European nationalists looking to wrest control of Austro-Hungary from the German empire (and by extension, Eastern Europe as well.)

The French, imho, were THE reason for WW2.  Why? Because they totally destroyed the German people thru the Treaty Of Versailles when Germany surrendered.  Germans were starving, broke, and at the mercy of France and Belgium, who officially began a campaign of abuse and retribution against the German people as they took everything they had "out on trade" for their inability to meet the insane and unattainable demands of France.

And to be fair, several world powers, including America, Britian and the Russians warned the French about what they were doing, but they continued unabated.  France created the state of desperation and anger that was (among other things) one of the biggest reasons the door for WW2 was left open.

Doesn't sound like there was much if any reason for the U.S. to be involved. What a surprise.

Don't take that in any way as disrespect for our veterans. I am one myself and would never do such a thing. All due disrespect to politicians, however. I have no problem dishing THAT out.

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 01:56:59 PM »

I was raised on stories of WWI and WWII from the British perspective.  I'm from quite a military family over there...Great Uncles, Granpparents, Great Grandparents and whatnot. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Jim H

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 05:29:31 PM »

They should have done one of two things after WWI: dismantled Germany entirely so they'd never be a threat again, or treat them well so they'd rejoin Europe as a full partner.  Instead they left a festering wound that angered and hurt them but let them eventually get up again.  Huge mistake as Germans, say what you will, can fight a mean war.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »

They should have done one of two things after WWI: dismantled Germany entirely so they'd never be a threat again, or treat them well so they'd rejoin Europe as a full partner.  Instead they left a festering wound that angered and hurt them but let them eventually get up again.  Huge mistake as Germans, say what you will, can fight a mean war.

Oh, I don't say anything bad about the Germans. They are not a mean and evil people. Any society can get swept up in hysteria and nationalism. It's happened and is happening in the USA, albeit not to as extreme an extent. In many ways I feel sorry for the German people to have to live in the shadow of that terrible time for who-knows-how-long. Will they ever shake it? Doubtful.

Anyway, we're starting to drift away from the honoring of WWI veterans and it's mostly my fault. I apologize.

Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 04:27:30 PM »

Which was what I was saying in a roundabout way.  The "angering, festering wound" was nothing more than the French seeing the oppurtunity to humiliate and antagonize their age-old rivals. Back anyone into a corner let alone Germans, and see what you get, you might be suprised.

As far as entirely dismantling Germany, it was pretty much done, but noone counted on the retaliation the opened the door for as it was assumed they had nothing left to work with.  Again, a nod to German ingenuity and the under-estimation by the world at large.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  And so a generation ends. Frank Buckles, last US WWI vet dies. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.