Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:29:55 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  And so a generation ends. Frank Buckles, last US WWI vet dies. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: And so a generation ends. Frank Buckles, last US WWI vet dies.  (Read 4105 times)
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 04:32:35 PM »

Sadly, very few people talk about or pay much attention to the Great War. WWII gets all the coverage, attention, shows on History Channel, etc. I'll admit myself I don't know nearly as much about that war as the latter.

I was watching All Quiet on the Western Front recently with Ernest Borgnine and was thinking how little I know about that war.

Here's a bit to go on..

WW1 was, in many ways, a continuation of the Franco-Prussian War in 1871, with the bitter rivalry of German and France as the reason for the war, mostly the French defeat at Sedan.

And, IF I have my facts straight, WW1 started when German archduke Ferdinand and his wife, Princess Sophie of Hohnberg, were assassinated in 1914 by Eastern European nationalists looking to wrest control of Austro-Hungary from the German empire (and by extension, Eastern Europe as well.)

The French, imho, were THE reason for WW2.  Why? Because they totally destroyed the German people thru the Treaty Of Versailles when Germany surrendered.  Germans were starving, broke, and at the mercy of France and Belgium, who officially began a campaign of abuse and retribution against the German people as they took everything they had "out on trade" for their inability to meet the insane and unattainable demands of France.

And to be fair, several world powers, including America, Britian and the Russians warned the French about what they were doing, but they continued unabated.  France created the state of desperation and anger that was (among other things) one of the biggest reasons the door for WW2 was left open.

Doesn't sound like there was much if any reason for the U.S. to be involved. What a surprise.

Don't take that in any way as disrespect for our veterans. I am one myself and would never do such a thing. All due disrespect to politicians, however. I have no problem dishing THAT out.

Nah, I got where you're comin' from, no biggie.

I guess we just stepped in and when the British praised us with "The Yanks Are Coming" that made us want to kick ass even harder, LOL   

But overall, every nation got to learn something from the art of war, and no nation was unharmed.  I guess that's why they call it a "world" war because there were no sideliners and no bleachers to sit and cheer from, everyone paid a price.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  And so a generation ends. Frank Buckles, last US WWI vet dies. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.