Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:04:46 PM
714380 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Magdalene Sisters (2002) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Magdalene Sisters (2002)  (Read 1627 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: March 01, 2011, 12:57:51 PM »

Small | Large

You might have seen this story on Dateline or something like 10 years ago. Nuns in Ireland ran these convents like concentration camps and years later the women told their stories. This is a dramatization of 3 of those told in the form of 3 friend/ co- inmates circa the late 60's.

Much like in muslim countries today, women in quasi theocratic Ireland had it bad. If you were unfortunate enough to be raped, got pregnant out of wedlock or just appeared to be interested in the opposite sex (much less the same sex) they hauled you off to one of these places where you did laundry all day. They never said who's laundry it was, but it was like everyone in the whole worlds laundry. It kind of reminded me of the Shaolin Temple in "The Master Killer" when Sante first gets to there, but they don't even get to learn kung fu. So it sucked.

The most noticable flaw at first is the low budget. People lionize low budget films particularly when they are overtly substantial like this one but it can mean not fun stuff like poor lighting and boring camerwork. This isn't a Bergman art house experience with wide shots of meadows or shadows or anything, though there was one really good shot of a girls eyeball where you could see the nun yelling at her's reflection in it! Your instinct particularly if you are photographer may be to turn up the brightness.

Big truth telling movies about dark pasts have other pitfalls too. German movies for example, not just ones about the holocaust, sometimes are so obsessed with the domestic significance of things they forget they are making a piece of entertainment and you end up with basically a wikipedia entry on a subject. I would NOT put this movie in that catagory. It appears to have been created at least somewhat for international consumption in addition to being a labor of love type thing.

At any rate, I really liked the movie. It obviously took pains to be factual, but there were unexpected choices in the script. It was often dark and unflinching, particularly in the case of the one girl Crispina (is that a real name?) Every scene she is in is completely torturous. Even when she is just standing there you know something bad is eventually going to happen to her, it's just a matter of when. She is like a symbol of how horrible the world is and how innocent these kids were.

If you are in the mood for something that is 2 hours long and kind of depressing but also really absorbing and an experience not just a thing on the screen watch it. The one girl who doesn't give a s**t is awesome and hot.

5/5
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:19:20 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:31:47 PM »

You know, I watched what I think was a little more than half of this film when it was playing on cable, just flipping through channels and it caught my attention, mainly because of the Irish accents and the fact that my wife is Irish. What a disturbing, and yes, well made film. It's interesting because my wife is from the Irish Catholic culture, but definately a fallen Catholic. Her parents remain somewhat devout, but her father is a big history nut and very even handed in his historical bias, and although still being devoutly Catholic, has plenty of criticism of the Catholic Church, with things like this being no exception.

The film was positively chilling at times, in particular the scene with Crispina shouting over and over "You're not a man of God!" I won't spoil the scene, but that was disturbingly hard-hitting.

I'll have to watch the whole thing.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 05:21:52 PM »

A similar movie  called Evelyn stars Pierce Brosnan as an Irishman who has to go through a long court battle to get his children back after his wife runs away with another man.  Seems there was no precedent in the law for the mother running away The Catholic Church and the Irish government

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 05:46:21 PM »

Oh, and another interesting note, the Vatican banned the film (gasp!).

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Hammock Rider

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:19:46 AM »

This isn't my usual cup of tea but I watched it because I was raised Catholic and taught  by the nuns. I thought it was well made and interesting. Poor nuns.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Magdalene Sisters (2002) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.