Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:24:28 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Karma system is bothering me... « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The Karma system is bothering me...  (Read 32067 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 09:52:08 AM »

I went through my karma-giving history and noticed I've never booed anybody. You see? I'm not a bad guy.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 09:59:33 AM »

To me it represents a popularity contest and I don't feel comfortable being "rated" (or judged?).

I think of it more as feedback. Sometimes it's hard to tell if something you've written has hit the mark as squarely as you thought it did. When somebody takes a few seconds to give me a thumbs-up, it tells me the joke I made was funny or the opinion I expressed was as convincing or thought-provoking as I hoped it would be. It feels good.

This goes back to newspaper writing. You have to give people a good read, and they don't always let you know how you're doing. And I used to get a little bit anxious when I'd stick my neck out in an editorial and then wait for some response. Would have been nice if the readers had a karma button they could push after they read something.

That said, I find I'm giving karma less than I used to. Mind you, if something strikes me as really good, I'll often say so in the thread.

And I also never boo people. I know I have done it a few times in the past, but it just seems pointless to me. If somebody says something I really disagree with, I'll argue with him, not just boo him. If I've come to the conclusion that he's full of crap and arguing is pointless (pretty rare), I just ignore him, unless he becomes a real nuisance to everyone, and then it becomes a moderator thing.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 10:39:53 AM »

And I also never boo people. .... If somebody says something I really disagree with, I'll argue with him, not just boo him.

I've boo'd a few, but NEVER for disagreeing with me.  I've only boo'd for the TONE of posting, and only then when it's a pattern.

You said yourself that it's feedback.  For those that spew hatred in their posts (and I've boo'd people for agreeing with me when they used that kind of tone).  I think of a 'boo' as a way to say, "Hey, you are not being respectful to the board...those that agree or not."

That said, I really don't boo a lot...I try to avoid it.  One or two "bad" posts...well, any of us can have a bad day or fire off something a bit overly emotional.  I look at a trend.

I like both the applaud and boo a TON better since we have to include the comment to go along with the change.  I think that helps make the system a little more 'real.'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 11:10:14 AM »

I'm not saying I've never been tempted. If somebody is just plain being a dick, then I think it's warranted. That's the only reason I ever feel like doing it.

diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 11:27:24 AM »

I've never booed anyone, and I don't plan to. Even though I've disagreed with a few posters with topics about religion and entertainment, I've never found it necessary to boo the individual.
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 01:08:47 PM »

I don't think I have ever been booed by anyone, and I have only ever booed one person.  That was a user named oxode who made an off-colour joke on a thread concerning a news story about a 6 year old committing suicide.  I just thought it was too distasteful to get away with.  To be fair, I wasn't the only one who booed this user.

Other than that, I try to stay away from the "Boo" button, and only applaud people. Lookingup
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 01:09:51 PM »

I've gotten a few boos, but not a lot. I do express opinions that p**s people off sometimes.

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 01:40:23 PM »

Smiting people for their opinions is stupid.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 01:41:50 PM »

Agreed. It's only if somebody is being a world class A-hole that I would consider the smite.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 02:01:06 PM »

That's an opinion and I should boo you for it.   TeddyR BounceGiggle

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 01:10:06 AM »

That's an opinion and I should boo you for it.   TeddyR BounceGiggle

I don't laugh a lot these days but that certainly made me laugh.  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Karma system is bothering me... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.