Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:21:46 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cannibal Holocaust « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cannibal Holocaust  (Read 4175 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 02, 2011, 06:34:46 PM »

This movie has quite a reputation.  I had seen Cannibal Holocaust a long time ago, albeit a highly cut version that removed most of the gore and the infamous animal killings, and that version had almost no impact on me at all, perhaps understandably.  Well, I finally bit the bullet and checked out a completely uncut version.

The uncut version of Cannibal Holocaust shocked me ... with how boring it frequently is.  A whole lot of this movie is taken up by people walking around in the jungle.  In the first half, we have a small team walking around in the jungle trying to find out the fate of a lost film crew.  In the second half of the movie, we get to watch that film crew's lost footage, which is mostly of them walking around in the jungle while saying "f**k" a lot.

All that walking around in the jungle is occasionally interrupted with scenes of people killing animals (which is not faked), or people killing each other (which is faked).  The animal killings are what give the movie what punch it has but they also sabotage it.  Compared to the animal killings, the fake gore on display has absolutely no impact whatsoever, not even the movie's most famous setpiece: the impalement of a native woman on a large, pointed pole.  It doesn't help that some of the violence is poorly staged.  Witness the way the natives pull their punches during the scene where they beat a woman to death with rocks.

Along with being sort of boring, Cannibal Holocaust's main failure is in its handling of the lost footage.  When we get to see it, it is shot like a movie, it is edited like a move, and it even has music!  It's not a raw, unflinching documentary of the film crew's savage cruelty, it's just a movie - and kind of a boring one.  Perhaps worse, the lost footage is frequently interrupted by scenes of characters discussing it.  It would have been a far better idea to present the lost footage as exactly that: raw, unedited, poorly shot film depicting the wanton savagery of the film crew, shown without interruption.

For my money, Cannibal Holocaust is just another cannibal movie.  Director Ruggero Deodato's earlier Jungle Holocaust is far superior, as far as these things go.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 06:45:56 PM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:01:55 PM »

I totally agree about Jungle Holocaust being better.  I love that flick!  But I think Cannibal Holocaust isn't bad.  Certainly not as enjoyable as Jungle (because no one is really likable in Cannibal) but it was better than average as far as cannibal flicks go.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 09:54:36 AM »

I also think CANNIBAL FEROX (aka MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY) is better than CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 11:26:36 AM »

It's been a while since I've seen it but Cannibal holocaust really blew me away, jus tthe energy of it.
R-T-C Tim
Dedicated Viewer

Franco Nero's conscience

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 06:13:59 AM »

An interesting bit of news, the UK DVD company Shameless are apparently working with director Ruggero Deodato to make a new cut of the film which will remove the infamous animal cruelty (which has always had to be censored on the UK DVDs). Likely to be released on SD and Blu-ray later this year.

Mondo Esoterica - Cult and obscure DVD reviews from Nosferatu to Black Emanuelle
Please note: Reviews are fully illustrated and may often be NSFW
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:37:42 AM »

I have this on VHS I think.  Then again it could be a different cannibal movie.  Either way, it kind of proves that this film could possibly be not very memorable.  Is this the one where a guy's d!ck gets eaten by a cannibal?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
R-T-C Tim
Dedicated Viewer

Franco Nero's conscience

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:09:24 AM »

I have this on VHS I think.  Then again it could be a different cannibal movie.  Either way, it kind of proves that this film could possibly be not very memorable.  Is this the one where a guy's d!ck gets eaten by a cannibal?

Not sure, that seemed to be rather common element, but it is the film with
this soundtrack Small | Large

Mondo Esoterica - Cult and obscure DVD reviews from Nosferatu to Black Emanuelle
Please note: Reviews are fully illustrated and may often be NSFW
The Burgomaster

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 12:38:09 PM »

Not sure, that seemed to be rather common element, but it is the film with this soundtrack.

No.  CANNIBAL FEROX (aka MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY) has the penis eating scene.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »

I have this on VHS I think.  Then again it could be a different cannibal movie.  Either way, it kind of proves that this film could possibly be not very memorable.  Is this the one where a guy's d!ck gets eaten by a cannibal?
Yeh, that's in CANNIBAL FEROX (aka MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY) - not only forgettable, but offensive.  Did I mention dumb?  

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
voltron

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 07:46:29 PM »

I agree with these posts. The film has quite the reputation for it's depiction of violence, but overall it was a letdown when I finally saw it.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 08:02:39 PM »

I have this on VHS I think.  Then again it could be a different cannibal movie.  Either way, it kind of proves that this film could possibly be not very memorable.  Is this the one where a guy's d!ck gets eaten by a cannibal?
Yeh, that's in CANNIBAL FEROX (aka MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY) - not only forgettable, but offensive.  Did I mention dumb?  
Yep thats it.  The cannibal eats the penis uncooked too.   

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 04:15:58 PM »

And I'm glad to know that you don't approve of eating uncooked penis...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
The Burgomaster

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 04:20:53 PM »

And I'm glad to know that you don't approve of eating uncooked penis...

It can give you botulism.

Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 09:29:15 PM »

Oh Cannibal Holocaust, quite possibly the best party movie ever  Cheers

Archivist

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »

I'm a softie, and Scanners or the Reanimator movies are about as bad as I will watch (maybe Hellraiser), so the various Cannibal movies are not on my watch-list.  But I will say that the mention of the eating of an uncooked penis in Cannibal Ferox made me Google it up, and I came across this wonderful list of 'the 12 most painful movie castrations ever':

http://omghorror.blogfaction.com/article/101237/feature-the-12-most-painful-movie-castrations-ever/

I love the description of a man being emasculated by Bigfoot in "Night of the Demon".  TeddyR

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cannibal Holocaust « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.