Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:05:33 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Proposed Texas immigration law contains convenient loophole for ‘the help’ « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Proposed Texas immigration law contains convenient loophole for ‘the help’  (Read 14522 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: March 02, 2011, 08:02:59 PM »

Proposed Texas immigration law contains convenient loophole for ‘the help’ 
Texas has long been a hotbed of controversy on immigration issues. And a proposed immigration bill in the Texas state House is sure to raise more than a few eyebrows. The bill would make hiring an "unauthorized alien" a crime punishable by up to two years in prison and a $10,000 fine, unless that is, they are hired to do household chores.

Yes, under the House Bill 2012 introduced by a tea party favorite state Rep. Debbie Riddle -- who's been saying for some time that she'd like to see Texas institute an Arizona-style immigration law -- hiring an undocumented maid, caretaker, lawnworker or any type of houseworker would be allowed. Why? As Texas state Rep. Aaron Pena, also a Republican, told CNN, without the exemption, "a large segment of the Texas population" would wind up in prison if the bill became law.

"When it comes to household employees or yard workers it is extremely common for Texans to hire people who are likely undocumented workers," Pena told the news giant. "It is so common it is overlooked."

Jon English, Rep. Riddle's chief of staff explained that the exemption was an attempt to avoid "stifling the economic engine" in Texas, which today is, somewhat ironically, celebrating its declaring independence from Mexico in 1836.

"Excepting household workers from a anti-immigration laws renders the law impotent and self-contradictory, just like the current U.S. immigration policy, of which it is almost a perfect microcosm," legal ethics writer Jack Marshall wrote on his blog. "It guarantees a measure without integrity that sends a mixed enforcement message and does nothing to stop the long-standing deplorable 'we don't want you but somebody has to do those menial jobs' attitude that has paralyzed our immigration policy for decades..." 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110302/ts_yblog_thelookout/proposed-texas-immigration-law-contains-convenient-loophole-for-the-help

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »

Gee, I wish I could afford to hire some "help" . . .
legal or otherwise, my house is a mess.

Seriously - this bill is an exercise in hypocrisy.  I'll call my Senator to vote against it - at least, as long as that ridiculous exemption is in it.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 06:13:53 AM »

The rich who can afford "help" are the politicions who propose racist laws like this. Can't have the law be against them,now can we?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »

Welcome to Texas! I have lived in this great state for almost 31 years, and when it comes to Texas politics, nothing ceases to amaze me anymore.
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:48:27 PM »

So much for the Tea Party's brand of integrity-- like the Bolsheviks and the Mensheviks to the dustbin of history with them BounceGiggle!

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 12:48:21 AM »

Not a Tea Party issue . . . just good ol' fashioned Texas Good Ol' Boy politics.

The Party is here to stay!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:10:50 PM »

Not a Tea Party issue . . . just good ol' fashioned Texas Good Ol' Boy politics.
The Party is here to stay!
State Rep. DEBBIE RIDDLE introduced the bill; she had been president of the Texas Tea Party of Republican Women... I think referencing the Tea Party with regards to this hypocritical bill is warranted. 

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 09:07:32 PM »

Point taken . . . however, TP'ers come in all stripes.  There is no organized party, and no elected leaders (lots of self-appointed ones!), and a lot of people who tried to glom onto the movement for its votes in the closing days of last fall's election.  Personally, I live in Texas and TRY to keep up with politics (a full time job in this lovely place!), but I have never HEARD of the Texas Tea Party of Republican Women.  Wonder how many members it has?

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:30:11 PM »

Point taken . . . however, TP'ers come in all stripes.  There is no organized party, and no elected leaders (lots of self-appointed ones!), and a lot of people who tried to glom onto the movement for its votes in the closing days of last fall's election.  Personally, I live in Texas and TRY to keep up with politics (a full time job in this lovely place!), but I have never HEARD of the Texas Tea Party of Republican Women.  Wonder how many members it has?
Enough to get her elected.

Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 09:38:03 PM »

IS, what the Hell was with the bigots at the Tea Party protests with their misspelled signs?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 10:24:15 PM »

You know, the TP rallies I saw were mostly older Americans - retirees, veterans, etc.  Decent people who are worried about the future.  I never saw a single racist sign, and none in person that were misspelled.  I did hear through the grapevine of some people that showed up at one Tea Party rally with racist signs.  No one there had ever seen any of them before, and when asked to leave they refused at first, then swore at the TP folks and stormed off . . . I personally think they were MoveOn.org plants there to MAKE the TP folks LOOK like racists.

I really resent the fact that people automatically assume Conservatives must be racists.  I VOTED for a black man for President years before Obama ever thought about running.  I don't like Obama because he is the most radical leftist ever to occupy the White House, and because he is dangerously inexperienced at foreign policy.  He seems to have devoted a great deal of time to cultivating our enemies - which they only take as a sign of weakness - and alienating our allies.  It has NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS COLOR!!  IT'S HIS POLICIES I DON'T LIKE!

Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 10:54:59 PM »

I personally think they were MoveOn.org plants there to MAKE the TP folks LOOK like racists.

That, or they were actual Fascists. Not necessarily the Nazi type. After all, Fascism started out as a grass-roots movement.
The weird thing with any partisan protest that gets a good amount of media attention you will see extremists there to tailend the dominant groups in hopes of conversion. Always expect to see Communists and Anarchists at pro-union rallies at the back passing out literature, but they certainly do not represent the majority-- they have their own agenda.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 12:53:11 AM »

I will grant you - every political movement, right or left, does attract its share of wing nuts.  I just don't like being lumped in with them.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 03:40:13 AM »

I really resent the fact that people automatically assume Conservatives must be racists.  I VOTED for a black man for President years before Obama ever thought about running.  I don't like Obama because he is the most radical leftist ever to occupy the White House, and because he is dangerously inexperienced at foreign policy.  He seems to have devoted a great deal of time to cultivating our enemies - which they only take as a sign of weakness - and alienating our allies.  It has NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS COLOR!!  IT'S HIS POLICIES I DON'T LIKE!

"Dangerously inexperienced at foreign policy."

That would be like electing an unproven Texas governor to the Presidency. Twice.

I'm not attacking you here, indianasmith. But if you accept one for the job, it seems weird that you would reject the other out of hand, at least as far as experience goes.

And as far as the "cultivating enemies," you're familiar enough with American history to know enough not to lay the blame squarely on the Obama administration by ignoring the Bush years. The world does not stop and begin based on which American party's leader currently holds office.

Not all conservative's are racist, and I grant this board the kudos for introducing me to some very well-spoken and intelligent conservatives. I really do enjoy hearing their opinions. However, there are a lot of racists in the conservative party, and their opinions are inexorably intertwined with the popularity of that movement. Then again, racism is endemic to the human condition, and I don't find the "liberal" movement to be that much more open-minded.

Just out of curiosity, which Black candidate for President did you vote for?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 02:38:55 PM »

"Dangerously inexperienced at foreign policy."

That would be like electing an unproven Texas governor to the Presidency. Twice.

I'm not attacking you here, indianasmith. But if you accept one for the job, it seems weird that you would reject the other out of hand, at least as far as experience goes.

But a State governor HAS executive experience, right?  I mean, the governor is the State equivalent of the President.  So this comment baffles me a little bit.

A person with experience "running" a (largish) State government as well as executive experience in the private sector is a far different animal that an academic, one-term Senator who has never professionally "run" any organization in his life.

Then again, racism is endemic to the human condition, and I don't find the "liberal" movement to be that much more open-minded.

Karma for that.

Back on the experience bit for a sec.  I always thought that was something of a red herring.  The proof is in the pudding; Bush HAD executive experience, but made some significant mistakes during his two terms.  Obama had the opportunity to poke the "no experience" claim in the eye, but he has failed to do so.  I don't think history is going to paint a picture of him that says "effectiveness," and the experience thing may always be where the finger is pointed for that.

What I would like to see in ANY President (either party, any race) is a stricter adherence to the Constitution in terms of enumerated powers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Proposed Texas immigration law contains convenient loophole for ‘the help’ « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.