Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:07:20 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  People you thought were dead « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: People you thought were dead  (Read 5772 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 04, 2011, 09:36:45 AM »

I recently saw on the news that Sirhan Sirhan, the guy who assassinated Robert Kennedy, was denied parole.  I thought he died in the gas chamber decades ago.  I'm ashamed at my lack of historical knowledge.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Raffine

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:54:12 AM »

I recently saw on the news that Sirhan Sirhan, the guy who assassinated Robert Kennedy, was denied parole.  I thought he died in the gas chamber decades ago.  I'm ashamed at my lack of historical knowledge.

Sirhan comes up for parole every few years and it always surprises me that he's still around.

Unfortunately I usually don't realize someoen is still alive until the news is released about their death (Jane Russell).  Bluesad

Abe Vigoda is (checking the Google) still alive!  Thumbup

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 10:13:24 AM »

The one that surprised me the most was Leon Askin, who played General Burkhalter on Hogan's Heroes. He died in 2005 (age 97), but I had for some reason looked him up prior to that, and was very surprised that he was still around. I mean, the guy was 60 years old and fat when he was doing Hogan's Heroes in the late 1960s.

I think it was around the same time I looked up Askin that I was surprised to see Richard Dawson was still alive. He's currently 78, which is not as old as I thought he was, which I suppose is due to his going grey at a relatively early age. Still, I could have sworn I'd heard about his death somewhere.

Funny how that works. When an older celebrity drops out of the limelight for a few years, people do start to assume he's dead, rather than just retired. Probably because there is no age limit on acting. Characters come in all ages, so you can never be too young or too old to perform if you're willing and able.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:25:23 AM »

Another guy is Victor Mature.  I was shocked when I heard he died in 1999.  He was retired from acting so long, I thought he had died many years ago.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Raffine

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 10:32:20 AM »

The aged celebrity that suprised me the most was the great character actor Charles Lane (1905-2007).

Back in the 30s and 40s he pretty looked like the hatchet-faced banker/lawyer/general meanie he'd play for decades. His last film credit was 2006!

Charles Lane in 1935..or maybe 1985? 2001?

In the late 90's it made the news that Lane was still around.

He continued to make the news for still being around and relatively active for years - until he died.  Bluesad
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:36:09 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 11:50:02 AM »

Funny how continuing to breathe can become someone's claim to fame. I think the rumours of Abe Vigoda's death have been going around for at least 25 years. I remember reading an interview back in the 80s, about Vigoda actually being a very active and physically fit person, but people associated him so much with Detective Fish, they assumed he was this broken-down old guy.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 02:27:01 PM »

I can't think of anybody I thought was dead...

I thought Madeline Kahn was still alive though. When I heard she died in 1999 I was sad.  Bluesad

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »

Mickey Rooney showed up in the news recently. 

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 04:56:26 PM »

Mickey Rooney showed up in the news recently. 
Yeah I was just going to mention him.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 04:59:59 PM »

He's not an actor, and I hope nobody is offended by me mentioning him, but for some reason I thought Charles Manson was dead until I saw a recent interview with him in my local newspaper.  He's not dead, he's just been in prison for a very very long time.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »

Paris Hilton, but I heard recently she actually does have a pulse.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »

Definetly braindead!  BounceGiggle

Ok-you may have not heard of this lady-but her first film a bit in the PHANTOM of the OPERA (1925) and she was also the girl with glasses on the coach  taking Reinfeild to Castle Dracula in DRACULA (1931).

Carla Lammale-neice of Carl Lammale-who owned Universal studios at the time!

She's still alive and kicking at 102 !!!

And STILL making movie! She retired in 1939-but since 2006 made a comeback! Her latest is in a still in production-film called the EXTRA (fitting title!)
Bless her heart! Smile

Carla today!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:00:23 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 07:38:50 PM »

Don't feel bad, Burgomaster.  I didn't even know they'd caught Kennedy's killer  Buggedout

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 07:41:47 PM »

The one that surprised me the most was Leon Askin, who played General Burkhalter on Hogan's Heroes. He died in 2005 (age 97), but I had for some reason looked him up prior to that, and was very surprised that he was still around. I mean, the guy was 60 years old and fat when he was doing Hogan's Heroes in the late 1960s.

I think it was around the same time I looked up Askin that I was surprised to see Richard Dawson was still alive. He's currently 78, which is not as old as I thought he was, which I suppose is due to his going grey at a relatively early age. Still, I could have sworn I'd heard about his death somewhere.

Funny how that works. When an older celebrity drops out of the limelight for a few years, people do start to assume he's dead, rather than just retired. Probably because there is no age limit on acting. Characters come in all ages, so you can never be too young or too old to perform if you're willing and able.

I thought the same about Mickey Rooney but I saw him on the telly the other night ranting about the govt should be doing something to stop elder abuse.  The guy must be close to 100 years old by now?

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »

Judging by those awful s3x tapes she made, I would have to strongly disagree TeddyR

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  People you thought were dead « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.