Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:22:47 AM
714357 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Big monsters or small monsters? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you prefer movies about big monsters (like Godzilla, Rodan, or giant ants, spiders, scorpions, etc.) or small monsters (like Dracula, the mummy, the wolfman, Frankenstein's monster, etc.)?
I only like 'em BIG!
I prefer 'em BIG, but small is okay sometimes.
Doesn't matter either way.
I prefer 'em SMALL, but big is okay sometimes.
I only like 'em SMALL!

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Big monsters or small monsters?  (Read 6550 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 04, 2011, 11:11:20 AM »

In other words, does size really matter?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 01:32:29 PM »

Depnds on my mood.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »

Small monsters are less obvious and travel under the radar. They can sneak up on ya. Hence, they are scarier to me.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 01:59:02 PM »

It depends on the nature of the movie.  Piranha 3D wouldn't have worked with giant piranha, Godzilla wouldn't have worked with a tiny, radioactive dinosaur.

That being said, I generally don't like monster movies that have swarms of small monsters.  I prefer one or a few human-sized or bigger monsters.  It seems easier to give the monsters personality, that way.

Truly giant monsters, like Godzilla, are in a whole other sphere.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 02:20:14 PM »

I like small monsters like Gremlins, Critters, those brain worm things in Slither...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »

I prefer big monsters, because they do things on a much grander scale, they're more formidable and they're often more fun. Godzilla wrecks cities, shakes the ground, and shrugs off artillery fire. Of course, a big monster could include something the size of Godzilla, or even a monster of more modest size, but significantly bigger and sturdier than a person.

I do agree that smaller monsters are scarier, though. This is something I actually thought about when I was a kid, because horror movies scared me at that age, but giant monsters, although arguably more dangerous, never scared me. I think the difference is that smaller monsters represent a much more personal danger. When Godzilla stomps through your town, he's like a tornado. You see him coming, you stay out of his way, and you watch for debris. Godzilla isn't particularly interested in you or anyone else. His human casualties just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. On the other hand, something the size of a person will target you, and stalk you, and lay in wait for you, and attack you specifically, as an individual. It's much more personal and much more violent, which makes it scarier.

It's also much easier to imagine a small monster in the real world. There's no way Godzilla could be real, much less hiding in your closet or being the cause of a bump in the night. An overactive imagination can do a lot more with something small.

Small monsters are scarier, but big ones are more entertaining for me.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 02:57:18 PM »

I like both although I think giant monsters people nowadays find less believable than in the past (still I'd imagine Them! scaring audiences in its day and certainly King Kong likely did)...still if convincingly told, they can still scare, thrill and chill. Smaller monsters are indeed a much more personal threat although a slow moving zombie or slow moving Mummy isn't as likely to squash you or roast you as quickly and effortlessly as Godzilla could. The Flesh Eaters were both very small and later very large. When it comes to movie monsters, well I love 'em all.  Thumbup

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 03:33:31 PM »

Judging by my DVD collection, I guess I somewhat prefer big monsters.  I'm not a fan of Godzilla or King Kong, but I love giant spiders, snakes, alligators, ancient demons, whatever.  It mostly has to do with the general style of those movies - they're usually pure B movies that know their fake CGI creations are kind of silly so they throw in a bunch of T&A and...well, sometimes even entertaining characters too.

But I very much enjoy a good vampire or mummy movie as well. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 05:39:18 PM »

Small monsters. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is coming to mind.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
peter johnson

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 06:16:18 PM »

I'm with whoever said "depends on my mood" - Heck, I loved that Korean giant monster movie a few years back, but gimme Chris Lee as a vampire almost any other day!

I have no idea what this means.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 07:19:50 PM »

I ike Big monsters. Though movies like SQUIRM and NIGHT OF THE CREEPS work-but they gotta gang up to be a menace. GODZILLA don't need no help! He could squash a whole hillbilly town full of ravenous sandworms! He'd pick up a bus and through it back down as he wades from the shore to the center of town...!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 10:23:10 PM »

I went with the "don't matter" option because I like both.  I like killer toys and whatnot but find giant creatures ripping apart cities fun too.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
claws
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 01:06:41 AM »

Doesn't matter. Big or small monsters are all fine with me.
Last night I watched The Sea Serpent (1984). The creature was obviously a small rubber toy but made to appear big - so I got the best of both in one  Thumbup
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 05:41:47 AM »

I sat on the fence on this one - I voted doesn't matter either way.

That being said, I generally find oversized things creepy and scary.  Godzilla or King Kong or the monster from Cloverfield.  That usually scares the bejeebles out of me.

Little things like bugs and spiders are scary too but in a different way - at least you have a chance of killing them and triumphing over the danger.  But the bigger the things are, the less chance you have of escaping alive and vanquishing the thing.  On the plus side, it's easier to hide from a huge thing when you're much smaller than it.

Overall I find zombies and vampires and werwolves much scarier because they are strong and relentless and human sized (generally) and that somehow makes things worse.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 07:41:56 PM »

I have never been afraid of Godzilla or "giant" monsters. I don't know something about them being so large/obvious/avoidable makes them actually less scary.

What you're defining as "small" monsters here (roughly human size) are much scarier. Of course going down even to bug size if there's large numbers of them they can still be scary (think like the "tooth fairies" in HellBoy 2).

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Big monsters or small monsters? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.