Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:57:20 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite Monster? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Favorite Monster?  (Read 4667 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: March 05, 2011, 09:31:43 AM »

Burgomeister's thread on big or small monsters got me thinking-what monster is the scariest to you?
Mine would be the vampire-not a lumbering brute or a slobbering man-beast or a drooling ghoul....vampires are SMART. There like serial killers. They think things out. They plan. The Wolfman doesn't think things out. Zombies dont have a game plan.
"The spider spinning his web for the unwary fly."

Small | Large

Of course you all knew I would pick vampires.  Lookingup
 But whats YOUR favorite? and why?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 10:05:06 AM »

When I was a kid around 6 or 8 years old, Frankenstein's monster was by far my favorite monster.  I think it was because he was created in a laboratory and most Frankenstein movies had scenes with a lot of gadgetry and electricity and I thought that was cool.  In the 1970s and 80s I went through a phase where I loved zombie movies.  Now, I'm not sure which monster is my favorite. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 11:02:36 AM »

Godzilla's my fave.  Big, green and mean!  Buggedout

But, for a more traditional monster, I'd have to say Frankenstein.  The idea of life being 'created' and the ramifications of creating a creature that had feelings and emotions at that. It was a very neat and compelling story. He looked pretty neat too!  Smile

That's why I like Toho's Frankenstein Conquers The World so much..they took the basic idea and created The Monster from the atom, so he was a living being to begin with.  Of all the variations of The Monster that have come and gone, this one was pretty neat.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 11:15:23 AM »

Godzilla's my fave.  Big, green and mean!  Buggedout

But, for a more traditional monster, I'd have to say Frankenstein.  The idea of life being 'created' and the ramifications of creating a creature that had feelings and emotions at that. It was a very neat and compelling story. He looked pretty neat too!  Smile

That's why I like Toho's Frankenstein Conquers The World so much..they took the basic idea and created The Monster from the atom, so he was a living being to begin with.  Of all the variations of The Monster that have come and gone, this one was pretty neat.

I agree-FRANKENSTIEN CONQUERS THE WORLD was unique-WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS was meant to be a sequel! The Gargantuas were the by-product of the Frankenstein Monster-but most of that plot went out the window with the American cut.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:30:50 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 11:45:08 AM »

My favorite Hero- Godzilla
My favorite Villain- Megalon! Twirling

yeah no.
Raffine

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 12:10:26 PM »

I love Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, Godzilla, and all the classic monsters but the fellow closest to my heart is the good ol' Gill Man from THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON series.

For the record - I had this model long before I saw any of his movies:

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
venomx
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »

My favorite is MechaGodzilla vers. 1974 and 1975.

Small | Large

I like all the old Universal Monsters as well!

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 03:09:24 PM »

My favourite is definitely Godzilla. I've spent many a lonely teenage and childhood evening away in his company and he always perked me up. I actually think I prefer the heroic Big G who takes down the baddies which is not the version most seem taken with. I also have a strong liking for Mothra, Mechagodzilla, Gamera and King Kong.

The monster I personally find most frightening is the Wendigo, the ghostly spirit of lonely places. Big and monsterous, it hides in shadows and lurks and waits for you feeding on your growing fear before it later decides to feed on you... Buggedout

My favourite Universal monster is the Wolf Man. Tragic and he doesn't want to be bad, he just cannot help it. It's his nature, the fear deep inside that the monster is really deep down in the darkest recesses of oneself. Speaking of vampires though, I've mentioned before how they were the first monsters to really terrify me as a child, so much so I'd wrap my sheet tight around my neck at night..hoping to prevent potential bites... BounceGiggle

I also really love the aliens and robots of 1950s film and TV -- Gort, Robby the Robot, The Thing, The Flying Saucers from Earth vs. the Flying Saucers, the "Lost in Space" Robot, the spooky otherworldly "bears" from the classic "Outer Limits" TV series.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »

Brundlefly (The Fly- 1986)

He used to be you or I.

He just looks wrong. Almost pathetic.

I've always found him to be very sympathetic looking and still grotesque.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
theedinburghbteam
Dedicated Viewer

Bringing the trash home!

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 08:02:03 PM »

Mine is Frankenstein's monster.

Whilst originally seen in the films as a monster, a beast without reason, he was in fact a very human, almost child like character.

Of all the 30's horror films, he had the resounding effect.

The Edinburgh B-Team! B-Movie double bill, every Monday at the Jekyll & Hyde Pub, Hanover Street, Edinburgh, Scotland! 7pm onwards! Free entry and free popcorn!
Hammock Rider

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 01:31:58 PM »

I've always been partial to werewolves and giant-anything.

Werewolves have the whole"evil lurking within" thing going on. It's kind of like Jekyll and Hyde but werewolves are more visually exciting. And some of the movie put an interesting spin on lycanthropy.

As for giant monsters, whether you're talking Godzilla, Gamera, The Deadly Mantis or Food of the Gods, giant monster movies are just plain simple fun.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 05:26:28 PM »

Ghidora... He's just cool..

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 09:36:52 PM »

Godzilla's my fave.  Big, green and mean!  Buggedout

But, for a more traditional monster, I'd have to say Frankenstein.  The idea of life being 'created' and the ramifications of creating a creature that had feelings and emotions at that. It was a very neat and compelling story. He looked pretty neat too!  Smile

That's why I like Toho's Frankenstein Conquers The World so much..they took the basic idea and created The Monster from the atom, so he was a living being to begin with.  Of all the variations of The Monster that have come and gone, this one was pretty neat.

I agree-FRANKENSTIEN CONQUERS THE WORLD was unique-WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS was meant to be a sequel! The Gargantuas were the by-product of the Frankenstein Monster-but most of that plot went out the window with the American cut.

I have the Japanese cut and it clearly explains the Frankenstein-Gargantua relationship.  You need look no further than the facial features of Frankenstein Sanda (the good natured brown one) to see the relationship to Frankenstein.

There's a few theories of how Frankenstein is actually one of the Gargantuas. 

One is that, after Frankenstein is dragged to the ocean bottom by Oodaku,  his uneaten remains somehow regenerate (the power of the Monster's heart) and a deformed aquatic version named Gaira is born.   His violent temperment stems from the damage to the brain as a result of lack of oxygen, which could not be repaired before the bidy slowly converted to a water breather.

Two, that the landlside either kills Frankenstein, or causes him to go dormant from his wounds recieved in the landslide. The heart regenerates Frankenstein into his next mutation, which is the benevolent brown creature Sanda, with part of his memory and the memory of the female doctor and the kindness she showed him.

Some good ideas, there.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 09:48:05 PM »

Ghidora... He's just cool..

The thing with King Ghidorah is that he has to have some sort of unknown mastery of gravity, because he has the most aerodynamically unsustainable body known to monsterdom.   

It wouldn't have hurt the guys at Toho to put a pair of arms on him, and make him bi\quadruped, either.  Be that as it is, he looks pretty cool when he's suspended in mid-air, kicking his legs with all three heads swaying to and fro!

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 12:44:15 AM »

My favorite is MechaGodzilla vers. 1974 and 1975.

I have to agree with you.  Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla (1974) was the first "Monster Movie" I ever saw.  I still have my old VHS tape of it, sitting on my shelf.  The characters and plot was pretty forgettable, but MechaGodzilla was effin awesome!  I mean, hell, he has laser cannons in his eyes!  His freaking eyes!

Anyways, my runner up would probably have to be either Mothra or Megalon.  Probably Mothra; he's bada$$!

[/late-night-nostalgic-rambling]
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite Monster? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.