Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:37:14 AM
713396 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Trying Objectionable Food « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Trying Objectionable Food  (Read 9686 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: March 08, 2011, 01:49:36 AM »

So I recently got interested in trying food that sounds completely gross for those who don't eat it. I'm willing to give any food a shot, and am always interested in trying new things, so I've ventured out to my local supermarket to try new foods.

The first was "head cheese." If you don't know what head cheese is, it's where they take either a cow or pig head and boil it so all the meaty bits are removed from the head. They then take that and let it sit in its own gelatin. The result is then pressed and it's usually sold in slices at any decent butcher block.

I bought half a pound, and it really wasn't all that bad. The meat tastes like meat, and the gelatin it's set in was a lot tougher than your usual Jell-O. It wasn't the greatest sandwich meat I've ever had, but I didn't find anything too objectionable about it. In fact, if anything, it was sort of bland. Put it on a sandwich with some mustard, though, and it was kind of tasty. I think I sold myself short buying the prepackaged stuff. My co-worker was telling me about his cousin who makes the stuff and mixes it with all sort of spices. That sounded really good, much better than the bland stuff I ate.

The second thing I tried was "pickled pig's feet." It is exactly what it sounds like. Basically, they take pig's feet and then cook them in vinegar and pickling spices. The feet are then stored in vinegar, available to eat at any time. You might find them in bars, and if you live in the American South, you can see them sold in any convenience store right next to the beef jerky.

I bought some jarred from the local supermarket. They really weren't too bad. As far as the taste is concerned, they reminded me of salt and vinegar potato chips, which I love. The difference is that you are basically eating pig skin, which wasn't nearly as gelatinous as I was expecting. I was hoping there would have been more actual meat on the feet, but it was basically just scrounging for bits of skin; a straight shot of vinegar.

I can picture myself eating a pickled pig's foot if I was six beers in or so.

It really makes me salivate for pickled pork, which I think can be amazing. I love corned beef, so I'm wondering how good pickled pork would taste.

So I think I'm going to keep trying weird foods. If you have any suggestions, let me know and I'll give it a shot. If you have any stories about trying stuff like this, post them!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:02:45 AM by Mofo Rising » Logged

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 02:02:09 AM »

Oh, this might make you laugh, too. (Or gross you out.)

I was at a seafood buffet here in Phoenix, and they had chicken feet available. I figured, why not?

The chicken foot I grabbed was breaded and deep fried. What you are supposed to do, is eat the skin off the chicken foot. It may seem weird, but if you like deep fried chicken skin (I love it), that's all it is. No meat, just the skin.

I didn't know that at the time, so what I did was just pop the entire foot in my mouth and start chewing. Basically, I was eating chicken bones. If that sounds terrible to you, it was. Possibly one of the worst things I've ever eaten, because I was chewing on chicken bones.

I think you should try chicken feet, it's chicken skin, which is great. But don't do what I did, which was pretty stupid. I felt like an idiot later when I found out how I was supposed to eat it. (To be fair, I was an idiot.)

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 02:09:03 AM »

Try a South Africa delicacy known as a 'smiley' ~ one of these:  TeddyR

A cooked sheep's head with the eyes still in the skull ~ those two you eat first.*

* So that what you eat is not watching you eat it.  Buggedout Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 02:53:19 AM »

Try a South Africa delicacy known as a 'smiley' ~ one of these:  TeddyR

A cooked sheep's head with the eyes still in the skull ~ those two you eat first.*

* So that what you eat is not watching you eat it.  Buggedout Buggedout

That was in a James Bond flick, 'Octop***y' ( I always thought they should have followed up with "Octotwat, the sequel that's not equal", but, I digress).

I was stationed in Texas twice and never got around to trying rattlesnake. I am disappoint.

Currently looking for a good old-fashioned catfish house, with no luck.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 02:59:14 AM »

I was stationed in Texas twice and never got around to trying rattlesnake. I am disappoint.

I have tried rattlesnake, way back when I first visited Arizona as a kid and went to the Rawhide ranch. I now live in Arizona, and could go there at any time.

From what I remember, rattlesnake tastes exactly like chicken, a bonier version of chicken.

claws
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 05:27:41 AM »

In rural Franconia here in Germany some people still slaughter pigs at their very own home twice a year, spring and autumn. They usually hire a butcher to do the "dirty work" as in turning the pig into sausage. The pig is bought and killed in the courtyard. A rather nasty custom is to hang the pig by its hind legs and slitting the throat, catching the blood with a bucket. Warm fresh pig's blood is considered a delicacy and is eaten like soup. They say its the best part when home-slaughtering a pig.
I tried some once but yeah, not my kind of food. It was warm and salty. I spat mine out.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 06:01:57 AM »

"My brother makes head cheese! It-it's reaaal good!"

My grandfather ate pig's feet alla time....I didn't care for it.

As far as eyeballs-years ago I went to a mexican party where they had a goats head. My freind Juan told me the eyes were the best part. He  scooped one out and ate it. I was hammered on El Presidente-so I tried it too. I puked.  Bluesad

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 07:32:55 AM »

Here in Minnesota pickled herring seems to be popular.  I tried it once - it was cold, wet, slimy, and salty.  Never tried it again.  Thank god I'm not Norwegian, those folks get stuck eating lutefisk and lefsa for Christmas   Bluesad

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 09:19:02 AM »

I'm okay with trying unusual foods, don't really have a weak stomach for it. However, some of that stuff sounds like something somebody ate on a dare. "Here. Try this. It's a delicacy."

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:42:38 AM »

I love trying different foods.  When I was in China a couple years ago, they had seahorse on the menu in one of the restaurants we went to.  I wanted to try it, but the locals said it wasn't very good and no one else at the table wanted it, so I ended up not getting it.  Maybe someday . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 04:01:06 AM »

OMG you guys, now I feel ill Buggedout.   But I'm vegan so there's no surprises there.  Still, when I did eat meat, I never ate any of that stuff and I never would.

My tastes are very basic, food is just fuel so being adventurous is just.not.on.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 04:09:48 AM »

OMG you guys, now I feel ill Buggedout.   But I'm vegan so there's no surprises there.  Still, when I did eat meat, I never ate any of that stuff and I never would.

My tastes are very basic, food is just fuel so being adventurous is just.not.on.

I'm pretty sure you would like another SA delicacy, known as 'pap' [pronounced 'pup']. No, there are no small dogs in it.  Buggedout Wink

It is white maize meal porridge cooked to a stiff consistency, so stiff in fact that you are actually supposed to eat it with your fingers. Sauce all over it and it is a good, filling meal which everyone can eat.  Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 04:13:19 AM »

I'm pretty sure you would like another SA delicacy, known as 'pap' [pronounced 'pup']. No, there are no small dogs in it.  Buggedout Wink

It is white maize meal porridge cooked to a stiff consistency, so stiff in fact that you are actually supposed to eat it with your fingers. Sauce all over it and it is a good, filling meal which everyone can eat.  Thumbup

Okay, Trevor, just for you, I'll try it  Twirling

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 04:45:05 PM »

Here in Minnesota pickled herring seems to be popular.  I tried it once - it was cold, wet, slimy, and salty.  Never tried it again.  Thank god I'm not Norwegian, those folks get stuck eating lutefisk and lefsa for Christmas   Bluesad

Oh, yes. Pickled herring, lutefisk, and lefsa. I grew up in a Norwegian community in Washington State, so I know those three well. Pickled herring. I've had it. It's not one of my favorites, but it's not bad. Lefsa. It goes down better than pickled herring, but it's dry, so you have to drink something along with it. Lutefisk. Even a hungry dog will turn up its nose at lutefisk, but it's a delicacy among Norwegian-Americans. I don't know whether that speaks better of the dog or the Norwegian-Americans.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 05:02:31 PM »

I'm the opposite. I'm BORED with food almost, I need something new. This is, as far as I'm concerned, the sole reason for space exploration: The search for new and exciting plants and animals to kill, harvest, and eat.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Trying Objectionable Food « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.