Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:50:26 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Old Vs. New: The Karate Kid « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Old Vs. New: The Karate Kid  (Read 4042 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: March 08, 2011, 08:26:55 PM »

It's hard to know where this would actaully go in this forum, but hey, I figure this would be the best spot since both old and new films are good.

Anyways, this will be an interesting episode and I think this could be a good discussion for us on which film is better.

http://nostalgiacritic.blip.tv/file/4859819/

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
venomx
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:34:27 PM »

IMO...

The Karate Kid 1984 with Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita is the ONLY Karate Kid movie.

Sorry InfoGeek, I refuse to watch the remake, The trailer looked really awful lol.

Just my 2 cents.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:39:19 PM »

Didnt like either. So-sorry-Info Geek.
I dont like Ralph Macchio-I dont like Will Smith-or his brat.
Dont like em.
BUT-I'm a weird guy-so-never mind me.
I dunno-I never liked the first KARATE KID-so the second-and -I dunno.
I didnt like the first because it was basically the same old 80's bulls**t-martial arts-chezzy psedo ROCKY music-supposed to be 'uplifting'.....f**k that. ugh.
The remake? Aint seen it. But if Will Smith's kid is anywhere as annoying as him-nope.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:50:32 PM »

Sorry InfoGeek, I refuse to watch the remake, The trailer looked really awful lol.

Well lots of movies have bad trailers.  We can't judge a movie just on the trailer alone.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
venomx
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 09:43:13 PM »

This is true... however I did have people tell me its a bad rip off.

Maaaaybe one day I'll check it out.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 12:33:21 PM »

I watched part of the new one because it was on cable and free. I saw about the middle half. It's pretty much the original story adapted to China with a few tweaks. I didn't like it. Now, the original was a big deal because I went to high school in the 80's, so not only do I resent the remake because I tend to dislike remakes, but also because of the nostalgia due to my age. Plus, Jaden Smith just gets on my nerves. My wife is impressed by him since The Pursuit of Happyness but I'm not impressed. I've never been much of a Jackie Chan fan either, so the movie just has too much going against it for me.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »

I saw the remake and was, surprisingly, more entertained by it than I ever dreamed possible.  However, I still have nostalgic feelings for the original, so Macchio gets my vote.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:25:09 AM »

The movie didn't particularly interest me in the first place, and seeing the trailer didn't do much to change my mind. What stood out for me was the determination to tie in the title with the earlier movies, even though the title no longer applies. The "Karate Kid" is learning Kung Fu. If they're willing to let something that glaringly stupid slide for the sake of brand recognition, I don't have a whole lot of faith in their ability to make a good movie.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 11:32:45 AM »

The movie didn't particularly interest me in the first place, and seeing the trailer didn't do much to change my mind. What stood out for me was the determination to tie in the title with the earlier movies, even though the title no longer applies. The "Karate Kid" is learning Kung Fu. If they're willing to let something that glaringly stupid slide for the sake of brand recognition, I don't have a whole lot of faith in their ability to make a good movie.

THANK YOU!  Thumbup Cheers

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 07:37:17 AM »

I see the new Karate Kid is up on Netflix streaming so I might give it a glance.  BUT let me say this.  When I was young and the Karate Kid came out, that film was the sh!t to me.  I had the action figures, the tshirt hell even the headband Ralph Macchio wears.  I could watch that film now and its hasn't gotten old to me.  I think the themes (though over the top unbelievable) are great and Pat Morita shines. 

With that said, I don't like Jackie Chan or Will Smith's spawn.  Plus I mostly LOATHE remakes so preliminary vote goes toward the Macchio version.  I'll make it official after watching the remake.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »

Yeah, I like Jackie Chan, but he's no Pat Morita.

---------------------
The Burgomaster

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 10:38:14 AM »

The "Karate Kid" is learning Kung Fu. If they're willing to let something that glaringly stupid slide for the sake of brand recognition, I don't have a whole lot of faith in their ability to make a good movie.

They could have used Kung Fu in the movie but called it Karate.  If you showed the average person a Kung Fu demonstration and a Karate (choose any style) demonstration, I doubt they would know which is which.  They could have had Will Smith's kid doing every Kung Fu move in the book, said it was Karate, and the average movie-goer wouldn't have noticed.  The writers should have just referred to it as Karate in the script and hoped there weren't too many Kung Fu experts in the audience.   

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 10:55:05 AM »

True, as long as he's kicking and punching, the average moviegoer isn't going to know the difference. At worst, you'd get a few people who have studied Kung Fu or Karate making technical criticisms that would sound petty to the layman. I'm thinking the biggest problem with just calling it karate is that they'd have Jackie Chan playing a Japanese guy, which would probably be much more awkward. Not that he didn't play a Japanese character in Cannonball Run, but he was relatively unknown in North America back then.

Looking up the movie, I see the title was almost changed to The Kung Fu Kid. To me, that would be the obvious solution, and it makes sense for what is essentially a retelling of the story with Kung Fu. The name is still somewhat connected to the original. You could almost consider it a sequel. But The Kung Fu Kid just doesn't have the same brand power as a remake with the same title. That's where Hollywood consistently screws up these days - choosing what seems to protect their investment, instead of what's right for the movie.

---------------------
The Burgomaster

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 03:51:42 PM »

That's where Hollywood consistently screws up these days - choosing what seems to protect their investment, instead of what's right for the movie.

Exactly.  I just hope the next fad isn't "reality" movies.  Maybe we should watch out for "Biggest Loser: The Movie" or "The Apprentice: The Movie."

66Crush
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 11:25:18 PM »

I'm sorry, but I hated "The Karate Kid." The crane is a stupid move and will get your ass kicked if you try to use it. I remember watching this with friend when we were kids. He loved every minute of it. I think I just got so annoyed because that's all the dude talked about for a week. I haven't seen the new one, I hope I'll like it better.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Old Vs. New: The Karate Kid « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.