Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:10:15 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies that were once "hot stuff," but now seem rather inconsequential . . . « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Movies that were once "hot stuff," but now seem rather inconsequential . . .  (Read 15939 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 10, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »

I shall start the list:

1. THE CRYING GAME

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 11:39:57 AM »

2. The Matrix.

I remember I liked it at the time, but now I have absolutely no desire to ever watch it again. At the time it was "the s**t" and parodies of it were all over the comedies that came after it, like Duece Bigelow: Male Gigolo and Shrek, to name only two. Now, I don't think I'm alone in my lack of desire to watch it, because I never seem to see on cable either. Perhaps those horrid sequels helped to kill it.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 01:11:38 PM »

3. THE SIXTH SENSE

I liked it, but once you've seen, another viewing is next to pointless. Since NMS has overdone his trick ending schtick, even first time viewers of TSS will probably not think it worth the hype it received at the time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »

4. Titanic

Everyone loved it at the time, but it's not mentioned too much now unless it's being compared to Avatar.  Everyone has seen it, but nobody seems to have the desire to see it again.
ChocolateChipCharlie
Bad Movie Lover

Oh my my, my Mitchell...

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 04:19:27 PM »

4. Titanic

Everyone loved it at the time, but it's not mentioned too much now unless it's being compared to Avatar.  Everyone has seen it, but nobody seems to have the desire to see it again.

I think when TNT shows a movie 24/7 for about 9 years straight, people kinda build up an immunity to it.....especially when they edit out the only two "parts" that are worth watching.   Cheers

5. The Mask

This was Jim Carrey's first big movie (or was Ace Ventura first?), but now that we've seen him play that character (manic spastic over-acting guy), it gets pretty tired.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 04:54:38 PM »

6. THE WARRIORS - It caused a lot of controversy and gang fights broke out in several movie theaters.  Pretty tame and even silly when you watch it today.  But I still watch it every now and then anyway.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 04:56:45 PM »

6. THE WARRIORS - It caused a lot of controversy and gang fights broke out in several movie theaters.  Pretty tame and even silly when you watch it today.  But I still watch it every now and then anyway.

In that regard, yes, but oh how I love that movie and it never gets old.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »

7.DESTINATION MOON (1950)
Back in the day-this was cutting edge F/X-and that was enough. But now it's a big yawn fest.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 05:41:11 PM »

In that regard, yes, but oh how I love that movie and it never gets old.

Yup.  I pop in the DVD about once a year.  I originally saw it at the drive-in on a double-feature with Cheech & Chong's UP IN SMOKE.  Sometimes I watch the DVDs back-to-back and it brings back fond memories . . .

JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 05:50:52 PM »

3. THE SIXTH SENSE

I liked it, but once you've seen, another viewing is next to pointless. Since NMS has overdone his trick ending schtick, even first time viewers of TSS will probably not think it worth the hype it received at the time.

I think you nailed this one perfectly - I've tried to watch the movie several times since I first saw it and usually about a half hour in, I kinda give it a 'meh' and tend to peter out.  But, that first viewing was classic!

8.  King Kong (2005) - leading up to this one, you couldn't go anywhere without hearing about this one (especially since Peter Jackson was coming off of the LOTR movies).  While I actually did enjoy it, it seemed like it went out with a whimper when the actual movie came out.

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 06:20:28 AM »

.SILENCE of the LAMBS-For horror film fans-this was a big deal-one of "ours" wins an Oscar!. It was a good movie-but Acadmy award material? I didn't think so. I find episodes of CRIMINAL MINDS just as well done.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
claws
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 07:31:34 AM »

Dunno. I think Silence Of The Lambs is a timeless classic  Smile

Top Gun

Se7en

Unbreakable (2000)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:31:25 PM by claws » Logged
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 07:41:47 AM »

3. THE SIXTH SENSE

I'll opt for anything M Knight Shamwow has done.  But then again a lot of his stuff never impressed me in the first place.

(what number are we on?) Beverly Hills Cop - I still like it but back in the days Eddie Murphy couldn't miss.  Now this film series seems to take up space in the "oh yeah I remember that film" piles.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
RD
Bad Movie Lover

I make the bad movies.

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 08:09:48 AM »

There's Something About Mary - When this came out it was getting hailed as an instant classic because of the gags and it was earning huge bank at box office. Seems fairly forgotten now. Although Stiller is still fairly popular as actor

Godzilla '97- Ok maybe it doesn't count because its hype machine killed it when it hit theaters. But the press and promotion this film received was staggering.

Give it a decade and I think a lot of people are going to be asking Is Avatar really the highest grossing movie? Did it really get a best picture nod at the Oscars?? Really?

=== ===
           Go Robo!
akiratubo

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 11:46:50 AM »

I was going to say The Matrix.  I'll agree with Silence of the Lambs, as well.  TV shows are more depraved and gruesome, now.  Anyone who watches it for the first time these days, twenty years after its release, will probably say, "Meh," and turn it off about halfway through.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies that were once "hot stuff," but now seem rather inconsequential . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.