Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:33:20 PM
713374 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Ghostbusters 2 or Gremlins 2? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which is better?
Ghostbusters 2 - 5 (23.8%)
Gremlins 2 - 16 (76.2%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ghostbusters 2 or Gremlins 2?  (Read 6286 times)
diamondwaspvenom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 11, 2011, 08:58:19 AM »

Since there was a thread that asked us to vote for Ghostbusters or Gremlins, I figured: "Why not do a poll for the second movies?". I made this based on user's comments on both sequels on the thread.

Point being: Which is better/more meaningful to you?
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 09:15:16 AM »

Total reversal here for me. I always resented Ghostbusters II immensely. I heard the gang is getting together to make a III.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 09:36:20 AM »

Gremlins 2 by a long shot.  I absolutely love that film because it parodies the first film but keeps the threat of danger those lil b@stards pose.  Plus the genetic enhancements were friggin' great.  I love the Brain Gremlin, he's one of my all time favorite film characters.

Small | Large

Oh and yes it has Christopher Lee in it.  TeddyR

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:40:22 AM »

Total reversal here for me. I always resented Ghostbusters II immensely. I heard the gang is getting together to make a III.
I don't think I really hated Ghostbusters II but it got overplayed for me.  I recall it being on HBO when it came out over and over and over again.  It does have a decent storyline and the effects are great.   I could probably watch it now but really don't like it as much as the first. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:08:30 AM »

Both movies took something good from the original and ran with it, but I think Gremlins 2 made the better choice. While Gremlins 2 went heavier on the comedy, Ghostbusters 2 went for more kid appeal, and I believe it was somewhat influenced by the cartoon. I also thought Ghostbusters 2 tried too hard to recapture some of the hipness of the original, which just came off as a bit lame for me.

Both revisited memorable bits from their originals, but I thought Gremlins 2 tried harder for a tongue-in-cheek approach, or to outdo the original, while Ghostbusters 2 leaned more toward straight rehashing.

And I thought the whole thing with the Statue of Liberty in Ghostbusters 2 was just dumb. Gremlins 2 had some dumb moments too, but always with more of a wink and a nudge. And yet, the comedy never overpowered the excitement.

That and Gremlins 2 had a lot of people I like in it. Christopher Lee, Tony Randal, John Glover, Dick Miller, and cameos by Leonard Maltin and Hulk Hogan. Ghostbusters 2 had the principal cast - Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis, Hudson, Weaver, Moranis and Potts, but nobody else of particular interest.

And I think it is somewhat telling that the talent behind Ghostbusters, particularly Ramis, Aykroyd and Ivan Reitman did not think a sequel was a good idea, and had to be convinced to do it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:49:25 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ChocolateChipCharlie
Bad Movie Lover

Oh my my, my Mitchell...

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 11:33:15 AM »

Ghostbusters 2 : Peter MacNicol

Gremlins 2 : No Peter MacNicol

Therefore

Ghostbusters 2 > Gremlins 2
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 11:04:53 PM »

I wasn't one of those fans who resented Ghostbusters II...in fact I loved it. I loved the cartoon too. I liked Gremlins 2 too though. But while I've always liked Gremlins, I've always loved Ghostbusters.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 03:23:03 AM »

Gremlins 2: The New Batch is Joe Dante's masterpiece. Just an epic, beautifully insane film, nothing else can be said to describe this tour de force of chaos.
Oh, and I voted Gremlins 2: The New Batch, by the way. Anyone who hates this movie fails at the game of life.

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
RD
Bad Movie Lover

I make the bad movies.

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 05:20:43 AM »

Gremlins 2, the movie is hilarious. John Glover's character is absolutely priceless with his ready made end of the world tapes and secret escape tunnels.  BounceGiggle

=== ===
           Go Robo!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 07:46:15 AM »

Gremlins 2 was an insane classic, I never get tired of it.  Ghostbusters 2...was that the one with Sigourney Weaver in it?  I barely even remember it.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
venomx
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 09:05:51 AM »

Gremlins 2.

However if you said Ghostbusters 1, I would pick Ghostbusters 1 over Gremlins 2.
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 02:36:37 PM »

I love GB II......just as long as I don't have to watch the last 20 minutes of it.
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »

yeah gremlins 2 had a good social commentary on the corporate 80s.  Ghostbusters 2 was just a paycheck.

dean

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 02:24:40 AM »

I love Ghostbusters II but it was a poorer sequel.  Gremlins 2 however is on my list of 'perfect, well made sequels'.  On it's own its a great film but as a sequel it not only expands on the original but in some areas completely outdoes it.

Ghostbusters II however dropped the ball.  It was great in many ways, but it just didn't have the same charm, and like someone else said, that whole Statue of Liberty thing was just silly.  Its like they said to themselves 'we need some other big monster like last time, but how can we change it up a little?'

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 08:12:43 AM »

Wow!  Buggedout

I'm surprised to see so much support for Gremlins 2. There's nothing wrong with that (I love the movie myself), I just always thought that most people preferred the Ghosbusters movies.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Ghostbusters 2 or Gremlins 2? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.