Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:30:34 PM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Nightwing (1979) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nightwing (1979)  (Read 4667 times)
claws
« on: September 18, 2010, 12:27:48 PM »

Nightwing (1979)

A Indian reservation is plagued by blood thirsty bats. The local Sheriff, his girlfriend and a bat hunter must exterminate flapping terror before nightfall.

A long missed but never forgotten animal attack flick mixing native American mythologies, the fear of the white man's intrusion and deadly bats straight from hell. A rather uneven event focusing too much on regional politics and not so exciting spiritual mumbo jumbo. The bat scenes are too little and too less but when they happen its cheesy carnage galore with badly drawn swarms and corny animatronics. The slow pacing is the real killer here, and only David Warner as the fearless Van Helsing provides enough fun camp to make the dull less painful. Rating: thumb sideways.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:19:01 AM »

This film is based on a 1977 novel of the same name by Martin Cruz Smith and as usual the novel is much better than the movie. Anyone who has read the novel will find the film somewhat less than thrilling, so while I recommend the novel, the movie is for a time when you have nothing better to do.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 03:04:53 PM »

This film is based on a 1977 novel of the same name by Martin Cruz Smith and as usual the novel is much better than the movie. Anyone who has read the novel will find the film somewhat less than thrilling, so while I recommend the novel, the movie is for a time when you have nothing better to do.

I read the book when I was on vacation in Rio de Janeiro about 14 years ago.  I remember it well, sitting by the pool with a cold drink . . .

Anyway, the book is chilling and suspenseful and the movie surprisingly leaves out some parts that would have been visually exciting, including one part (if I remember correctly) with a guy on a telephone pole with the bats advancing toward him.  Also, the movie ignores the entire bubonic plague aspect of the book and just focuses on bat attacks.  I had a VHS copy of the movie and, as bad as it was, I'll probably end up with the DVD some day.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
claws
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 03:40:24 PM »

I had a VHS copy of the movie and, as bad as it was, I'll probably end up with the DVD some day.
Sony are releasing Nightwing on DVD-Rom (like those Warner archive titles) as an exclusive deal with deepdiscount.com next year.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 03:34:47 PM »

I had a VHS copy of the movie and, as bad as it was, I'll probably end up with the DVD some day.
Sony are releasing Nightwing on DVD-Rom (like those Warner archive titles) as an exclusive deal with deepdiscount.com next year.

Since I buy a huge percentage of my DVDs from Deep Discount, this is great news!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 01:07:47 AM »

I read the book when I was on vacation in Rio de Janeiro about 14 years ago.  I remember it well, sitting by the pool with a cold drink . . .

Anyway, the book is chilling and suspenseful and the movie surprisingly leaves out some parts that would have been visually exciting, including one part (if I remember correctly) with a guy on a telephone pole with the bats advancing toward him.  Also, the movie ignores the entire bubonic plague aspect of the book and just focuses on bat attacks.  I had a VHS copy of the movie and, as bad as it was, I'll probably end up with the DVD some day.

I went to the theatre to see it with my parents and a school friend of mine back in 1977, and I remember David Warner's character mentioning the Bubonic Plague once in the movie, and also about how vampire bats "p**s out" all the time to make way for the blood they drink.

I never read the book, but as far as books go, there was also a Gothic romance\horror novel called Welcome, My Dear, To Belfry House that had bats interwoven in it's storylines. I never read the book, but I remember my mom and dad must have read it a million times.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
The Burgomaster

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 05:55:27 AM »

I went to the theatre to see it with my parents and a school friend of mine back in 1977, and I remember David Warner's character mentioning the Bubonic Plague once in the movie.

In the book, some of the characters actually GOT the bubonic plague.  It was a major part of the story.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 06:24:16 AM »

I remember seeing the commercials for that movie, back when I was about 13 I guess.  Then I saw it on TV eventually and thought it was pretty good.  I though just about everything was pretty good at that age lol.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 02:54:54 PM »

I went to the theatre to see it with my parents and a school friend of mine back in 1977, and I remember David Warner's character mentioning the Bubonic Plague once in the movie.

In the book, some of the characters actually GOT the bubonic plague.  It was a major part of the story.

That's crazy...how such a small animal can get anything from rabies to bubonic plague.  I think the only rabies-free species of bat is the Fruit Bat (aka Flying Fox.)  Not sure, but I believe hearing that once on a TV show.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
claws
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 07:58:35 AM »

Just a quick heads up, Nightwing is now available from Sony/Columbia on DVD-R only at deepdiscount:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/dvd/nightwing-043396354883/
The Burgomaster

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 08:04:12 AM »

That's crazy...how such a small animal can get anything from rabies to bubonic plague.  I think the only rabies-free species of bat is the Fruit Bat (aka Flying Fox.)  Not sure, but I believe hearing that once on a TV show.

If I remember the book correctly, it was actually fleas on the bats that carried the plague!

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Nightwing (1979) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.