Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:50:34 AM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  NetFlix Question « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NetFlix Question  (Read 2538 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: February 24, 2011, 09:55:33 AM »

I don't know if anybody knows the answer to this, but just in case.

I've noticed that movies seem to come and go from instant view availability. For example, Donnie Darko was in my instant queue and became unavailable a few days ago before I got around to watching it (I've never seen it). The Warriors is in my instant queue as well and will be going unavailable on 3/1. Fortunately, I watched it a couple of weeks ago.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows why movies go in and out of instant? Is it due to agreements with the owners of the rights that they can only run it instantly for so long because they still want to sell DVD's? That's the only argument I can think of, but then I think, "how many DVD's are they expect to sell of The Warriors?

Just curious if anybody knows.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »

I'm not sure. I used to have "The Shawshank Redemption: Special Edition" on my instant queue. Now it's gone. I think it's gimmick to make you upgrade your account to get DVDs in the mail. It's an extra $1.99 /.mo to get DVDs.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »

1. Almost certainly contractual agreements.  There are a lot of possibilities here besides cannibalization of DVD sales.  Rights holders may try to squeeze NF for more money, or the other way around.  They may have agreements to sell through a competitor's service, or have their own digital delivery service.  It could even be a personal disagreement between the two sides.
2. It's possible the quality of the "digital print" may be bad and they take it off (temporarily or permanently).
3.  I have seen things disappear from my instant queue, then reappear in a few days.  I was warned the BBC programming would be ending, but the two sides came to an agreement before the deal was supposed to expire and all the BBC stuff is still available. 

It's probably not what A.J. said, because Netflix wants to push instant view---they would get out of the business of mailing out DVDs altogether if they thought they could.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 03:51:44 PM »

I imagine it takes a ton of server space to make streaming available for all those movies.  They've probably got more movies than they (currently) have the hardware to make available simultaneously, so they rotate the selection.

Of course, that's a total guess  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
66Crush
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 04:05:10 PM »

It bugs me that they never have any wrestling in the watch instantly section. Most of the WWE stuff is on two or three disc sets and you can only get one DVD through the mail at one time. Plus the only "Doctor Who" episodes you can watch instantly are the ones that have been on DVD for years, so I've already got them. But I have had good luck watching "MST3K." It's saved me a fortune, because those box sets are expensive!
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 02:30:10 AM »

I imagine it takes a ton of server space to make streaming available for all those movies.  They've probably got more movies than they (currently) have the hardware to make available simultaneously, so they rotate the selection.

Of course, that's a total guess  TeddyR

Seems like a reasonable guess though.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:43:05 AM »

It bugs me that they never have any wrestling in the watch instantly section. Most of the WWE stuff is on two or three disc sets and you can only get one DVD through the mail at one time.

The Big Show one was on there.

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
Skull
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:26:39 PM »

My guess:

Free up space for movie rotation.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 07:33:53 PM »

Some movies I think are only up for certian promotions at the time and are taken down whenever the promotion needs to end.  For example, last year Iron Man was available on Netflix for quite a long time until the end of December.  Since the sequel came out last year, I figured the company put up the first movie so that everyone could see it again and be prepared for when the sequel hits.  Just a guess.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  NetFlix Question « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.