Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:53:39 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Rocky or Rambo « previous next »
Poll
Question: Rocky or Rambo?
Rocky - 10 (52.6%)
Rambo - 8 (42.1%)
None - 1 (5.3%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rocky or Rambo  (Read 4552 times)
venomx
« on: March 12, 2011, 09:12:55 AM »

I can't pick 1... I like both. Tie. Wink

Small | Large

Small | Large
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 10:44:42 AM »

Rocky simply because for some reason I could never get into any of the Rambo films besides the first one.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:06:19 PM »

I'm more into bullets hitting people than fists so Rambo.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 03:06:52 PM »

Rambo, because he doesn't say "Adriaaaaaane!"

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Couchtr26

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:53:43 PM »

Bullets and lots of them, Rambo.  It is escapism from the 80's at its best.  First Blood is also a wonderful film. 

Ah, the good old days.
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »

How can you not like rambo.  Rambo 2 is the best action film ever made.

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 07:51:17 AM »

I like 'em both. But I think Rocky was better structured.

Hammock Rider

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 02:37:34 PM »

I went with Rocky because I think it's a better balanced film what with the humor and drama and fighting. The bullmastiff was cool too. Plus Rocky 3 brought the world the magic of Mr. T!

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »

Well, you could look at this as comparing the two series, or comparing the two originals.

When comaring the originals, Rocky wins very slightly, because I loved the original Rambo because it didn't get too preachy.

When comparing the series, Rocky wins by a larger margin for me. They both devolved into propaganda films, it's just that Rambo did it right away. It took until Rocky 4 before the propaganda started.

But hey, the 80's were full of blatant propaganda flicks like Red Dawn and Top Gun. I don't mind a little propaganda, I just like it a little more subtle, where I have to use my intellectual detective skills a bit to notice it. I like a challenge.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 03:01:51 PM »

ROCKY, because the original is excellent.  I can enjoy movies from either series (even the silliest of the sequels), but I think the original ROCKY puts that series slightly above the RAMBO series.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 10:18:48 PM »

I like both but I like Rocky a shade more.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 03:55:56 AM »

Rocky.

He just seems a bit more well adjusted.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Robocop
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 05:34:17 AM »

Rocky and Rocky Balboa are quality of the finest order. The Rambo series is great, but those two are enough to swing the favor over to Rocky.

Why is the poll closed?
Britorama Rob
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 09:51:31 AM »

Rocky.

The original is on par with First Blood but as Flick James says, after that Rocky is a more consistent series. Also I always felt the character at the end of First Blood was an odd one to build a red-blooded American action series around

Even when it gets silly I still rate Rocky IV over Rambo III for pure escapist fun. It has birthday robots and James Brown for pete's sake.

The modern additions, Rocky Balboa also wins - Rambo IV is a very dull film IMO, and the final showdown was very abrupt and stomach-churning. May very well have been Stallone's intention but yeah, didn't feel like an old school popcorn munching action yarn.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 03:35:38 PM »

I like Rocky, Rocky III & IV, but for me it's Rambo all the way. He wasn't your typical clean-cut hero or even any kind of simple underdog either. He was a one man war machine pushed to the brink of sanity. Even when he would go too far, it was always in retaliation, when "pushed", the 'ol "eye for an eye" thing. I've always felt that First Blood (the book & the film) deserves more credit and recognition for the impact it had on the action genre and for Stallone's final scene in the film, which to me, was Oscar worthy. I find Rambo to be more iconic than some guy who boxes dudes with silly names. This is a man who's seen hell, lived through hell and is just trying find his way in the world. You can take or leave the 80s propaganda and the over the top action, but you can't argue that the motives and influence of that character divides opinion and has more hidden depth.

As for the Rambo movies themselves, well obviously First Blood is the best, most solid of the bunch. My favourite is Rambo: First Blood Part II though, just for the sheer level of destruction. That film delivers action in spades. I didn't care for Rambo III too much, but I did think the fourth installment was very impressive both in terms of horrific realism and the overall direction of the movie.

So, to sum up....RAMBO RULES!  TeddyR

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Rocky or Rambo « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.